The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. syncd

syncd Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Thank you very much for your help.

I see your point regarding disabling BD_PROCHOT, and i would just leave at that, but unfortunately that only solves half the problem because sometimes the laptop keeps on beeping (like right now...). Disabling BD_PROCHOT fixes the throttling but it can't do anything about the stupid beeps...

I believe it has something to do with the fans but I can't check it right now.

Any way, I've followed your suggestions and disabled BD_PROCHOT and enabled SpeedShift (why the hell do vendors disable this by default?). Haven't touched the Clamp option because I don't fully understand what it does, but i'm sure it is answered somewhere on this thread so i'll keep looking.

I've enabled logs and captured an instance of the issue occurring: https://pastebin.com/5CuT9M9q

Not sure if something can be conclude by it, I see the processor getting throttled (when the multiplier goes to 4) but not much else. By the way, this was triggered by opening a browser with 10 tabs or so opened, so even though the cpu goes to 100% and the power to 13W-14W it's really not much load. When the multipliers goes back up it's me disabling BD_PROCHOT on Throttle Stop.

Guess i'll have to open it up and check the fans. If I can't figure it out i'll have to send it back to China which I was trying to avoid.

Anyway, thanks for your help (and for Throttle Stop).

2. methyn

methyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi unclewebb,
    I have been using throttlestop form earlier versions and this is my favorite software. It is working great with my Lenovo y50 that likes to throttle. I have a problem with the new version of the throttlestop 8.4.8.0.
    Previous versions I can set my cpu to 3.2 ghz but with the obsidian my cpu returns to its stock values and throttle to 2.6ghz. I have tried disabling/enabling BD Prochot anc cant fix the problem cpu temperatures are fine.
    The previous versions works just fine. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      54.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      752.9 KB
      Views:
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you check limit reasons?
    Did you try checking the overclock box in fivr?

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    methyn and alexhawker like this.
  5. methyn

Reputations:
    Yes, I have checked/unchecked overclock setting but that doesnt work... :vbfrown:

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In newer builds Windows Creators Fall Update, power throttling will be present, then we can never know for certain if a app is throttled by high temps or the OS itself. This happens on battery, I assume and not on AC.

methyn likes this.
  7. Miguel Pereira

Miguel Pereira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

If you have a recent version I can pay to have it not expring, i'm the first to jump in. ;)

Is there a easy way for the most recent version to auto-start on windows 10? I thought I read about it from the obsidian guy somewhere, but I cant seem to find a direct option for that on windows 10. Its just a minor detail, I can always just start the program myself, but if there an easy way I'm all ears.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Miguel Pereira I already beat you to that, several posts ago. (i swear everyone ignores everything I post unless they need something...)
    But @unclewebb hasn't been online since :(

9. methyn

Reputations:
    It is throttling on AC too. I have no luck with y50. :(

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably because your CPU is hitting power limit of 15W, you could undervolt it. Again which is the cpu model?