The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You don't have the details of your laptop in your signature, so I cannot tell if you have a separate GPU. It is common for a laptop with a QHD screen to have two GPU's - the Intel one on the processor, and a separate, discrete (often Nvidia) GPU. Most are set up to default to the intel GPU for most things. - however, an application that is sending QHD info to the display will stress the processor and the underpowered Intel GPU simultaneously. If you do have an Nvidia processor, you can set the driver to use that processor for HD video applications and games. Good luck, Joe

Vasudev likes this.
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No. It was the Lenovo E570. It has the Core i7-7500U, an Nvidia GTX 950M and I added a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 drive. Not a bad little laptop after you do you some undervolting and a few other minor tweaks to it. If Lenovo did the tweaks before shipping it and offered some improved screen options, they could sell a pile of them. I think I was at default voltage when it was running LinX at 28 Watts. I was trying to make it throttle but it was being a real trooper. With a -100 mV undervolt, it dropped to about 22 Watts. Any normal load was a lot less than that.

Probably but no one here knows the answer to your question. If you bought me a 1000 Acer laptops of the exact same model and I tested them using ThrottleStop for a few years, I could see how many failed and give you a better answer.

All I know is that for more than 6 years, thousands of people have used ThrottleStop to help fix their throttling laptops and there have been virtually zero complaints about laptop failure due to using ThrottleStop. If I owned your laptop I would disable BD PROCHOT but it is your laptop so you have to take responsibility for it.

Just remember that most gaming laptops are not designed to be used for gaming while running on battery power. Very few laptops have batteries that will allow an Intel 4 core CPU and Nvidia GPU to both run at their full rated speed while running on battery power. Using ThrottleStop to try and force this to happen while on battery power could permanently damage your battery or possibly cause a battery fire. That would not be good so use some common sense when using ThrottleStop.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Throttlestop can't force a dedicated GPU to run at full power anyway on battery. The dedicated GPU gets spammed with "Temperature Limit" (even at 40C) and "Power limit" and VREL limits and capped.
    Not sure about CPU.

4. Gilang Luqman

Gilang Luqman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my x9100 already come and installed on my laptop (using BSEL mod)
    It can boot up... :cool:
    max multiplier is 18 (3.6 Ghz) in 1.2875V , its stable in prime95
    It will BSOD when I try to increase voltage to 1.3V++ so its not possibly to get 4 Ghz :(

my laptop multiplier only reach 6 when laptop adaptor unplugged
    I have a question, Can I make it multiplier stay at 18 althought laptop adaptor unplugged?

here the pic of my problem
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 5:38 AM
  5. Vivekananda

Vivekananda Newbie

Reputations:
    [/QUOTE]Probably but no one here knows the answer to your question. If you bought me a 1000 Acer laptops of the exact same model and I tested them using ThrottleStop for a few years, I could see how many failed and give you a better answer.

All I know is that for more than 6 years, thousands of people have used ThrottleStop to help fix their throttling laptops and there have been virtually zero complaints about laptop failure due to using ThrottleStop. If I owned your laptop I would disable BD PROCHOT but it is your laptop so you have to take responsibility for it.

Just remember that most gaming laptops are not designed to be used for gaming while running on battery power. Very few laptops have batteries that will allow an Intel 4 core CPU and Nvidia GPU to both run at their full rated speed while running on battery power. Using ThrottleStop to try and force this to happen while on battery power could permanently damage your battery or possibly cause a battery fire. That would not be good so use some common sense when using ThrottleStop.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for answer. My english is very poor. I not play games at all. Just run throttlestop when battery low (under 40%) and procesor is then slow about 800mhz. And then I work some ushual things, photoshop, internet and so on... I ask you can I run throttlestop all the time (not playing games, just for regular things) when in AC also, not just on battery?

I asked just becouse warning at start of program.

Thank you in advance

Also get a error follow your insttions to put throttlestop in start programs (win 10)... I try many times, step by step and allways got some kind of error.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can pin TS to start menu and after startup simply click on the icon to get it started, that's what I do.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    Vivekananda likes this.
  7. Vivekananda

Vivekananda Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks, I allready do that, but wandering why can't set it in start menu.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have W8 or W10, you pin it to Start. On Win 7 you can pin it to taskbar.

Vivekananda likes this.
  9. bruor

bruor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To get throttlestop to start automatically I added a task scheduler entry to launch it at logon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vivekananda likes this.
  10. Vivekananda

Vivekananda Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, thanks, this is work. Before was set "at system startup" and nothing hapened.