The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. lidowxx

lidowxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter if its checked on or unchecked, as long as it's grayed out, that means you can't enable dual IDA.

Just checked, the TJmax for T9300 should be 105 C, check the "hwmonitor.ini" file, which should be right along with the hwmonitor.exe. Open the "ini" file and make sure the TJMAX value is 105, not 100.(close the hwmonitor.exe before edit, or it won't save).

Edit: Did you press the "turn on" button on the interface of throttlestop? You won't notice the voltage change if you won't let TS take over control of the CPU. Also make sure you have the latest CPU-Z.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Yes, there is a way to fix this. First go to the Intel site and find out what the correct TJMax value is for your T9300.

Intel® Core?2 Duo Processor T9300 (6M Cache, 2.50 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) with SPEC Code(s) SLAPV, SLAQG, SLAYY, SLAZB

Intel says 105 so you need to edit the hwmonitorw.INI configuration file and set that to the proper number.

CPU_0_TJMAX=105.0

Now ThrottleStop is all fixed. ;)

Edit: You beat me to it lidowxx.

I've never had a request for more than 4 profiles. Maybe someday if a few more requests come in. Why do you need more than 4?

If the EIST box is grayed out then this is locked so Dual IDA won't work. You can unlock EIST in many of the Dell laptops by editing the bios.

If you want to use a SLFM voltage then you need to enable the SLFM option. In RM Clock you need to enable the DFFS, Dynamic FSB Frequency Switching, option to access the lowest possible SLFM voltages.

You can run a program like HWiNFO32 and it will give you a nice little table showing you what votlages your CPU supports for SLFM, LFM, HFM and IDA.

Post a screen shot or two if you are having any problems.

3. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Ok I'll have to Change that when I get home on my laptop!

More than 4 just so I can have more options to be able to set to, like different multipliers. Since RMclock did more than just one at a time, I'd like to have a few more multiplier settings to be able to easily switch from :p
    but not that big a deal lol

I'll check those other things asap and post back. :D

4. Nuttz220

Nuttz220 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 2.90 works great! the old version interfered with my wireless connection for some reason...this one works awesome! My pc- Alienware M15X CoreI7 720q. Before using this using this program, my pc was to slow to use when not plugged into A/C....I was only getting a max multiplier of 6 on battery...such a pain. You brought back mobility to my PC....Thanks!

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The M15x is not adequately designed so that you can run at full speed while on battery power. You should phone Dell and tell them this "feature" was never mentioned when you bought your M15x. That's usually why Dell throttles your laptop to a crawl when not plugged in. If you use ThrottleStop to try and force full speed while on battery power, it is quite possible that you will damage your battery. It probably won't catch on fire but it might. It might also significantly reduce the life of your battery.

All I can say is be careful. I don't recommend using ThrottleStop while on battery power.

The minimum multiplier for a Core i7-720QM is 7.0. If CPU-Z is showing less than that, it must be combining the chipset clock modulation data with the multiplier data and creating some sort of effective multiplier.

Someone else once reported that they were having wireless connection issues when using ThrottleStop while gaming. They switched from a Dell wireless card to an Intel card and their problem went away. Just curious. Do you know what brand of WiFi card is in your laptop?

6. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you try to force you laptop to full speed on battery your machine will simply switch off. I have tried this :D

7. Nuttz220

Reputations:
    Wireless - Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 ANG

Something that is strange is that when I open your ThrottleStop.exe file and run...I do not have to turn it on (bottom right). As soon as I open ThrottleStop it changes my multiplier from (5-6) to (20-21) without turning on. So I just open and minimize without turning it on...Or is that how the program is designed...soon as I open does this turn it on anyway. If that made any sense.
    edit: something i just noticed...when I open ThrottleStop and it changes my multiplier...I can close the program and it still is keeping my multiplier at 20-21. Is there a reason it would do this?

Not sure if dell will do much about it...I have had it a year. Had to do it over...would not have bought an Alienware. My thought was to upgrade to the i7 920 when prices went down a year ago and upgrade myself...but so far they haven't.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    My original theory was that if a person is taking the time to run ThrottleStop, they are probably doing so because their laptop is running like a slug. Clock modulation and chipset clock modulation are immediately turned off since Dell shouldn't be using these methods to slow down a users computer. It also sets the multiplier to its maximum so even if ThrottleStop is only in monitoring mode, at least the operating system can re-gain control of the multiplier when ThrottleStop exits.

I've heard from more users that are happy with this decision than users that are not happy so I've left it as is so far. I might change this in the future if enough complaints come in.

What software are you using to report the multiplier before and after? A 5 or 6 multiplier physically does not exist in your CPU. That's why it sounds like ThrottleStop is mostly turning off the chipset clock modulation that plagues the M15x.

At idle, the 720QM automatically drops the multiplier significantly lower than 20 or 21 but CPU-Z does not report this. Here is what the programmer of CPU-Z says about that.

Try downloading RealTemp 3.60

Download Real Temp 3.60 | techPowerUp

Included with that download is another program called i7 Turbo GT which accurately tracks the average multiplier of each thread. This program turned into ThrottleStop so the multiplier data should be similar without having to run ThrottleStop.

By running i7 Turbo GT, you will have a better look at what the multiplier is up to before and after running ThrottleStop. At idle, you shouldn't be seeing an average 20 or 21 multiplier on a 720QM.

9. Nuttz220

Reputations:
    I ran RTemp and attached my log...added notes when I made a change. I am not sure what the numbers mean.

I also attached a screen shot of a process that keeps running...it will at times take a great deal of percentage of CPU while at idle. Have ran checks for virus' and came up with nothing.

Attached Files:

10. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    Blue Screen for me :p

Will ThrottleStop work on an Atom CPU?

Edit: just tried it and found my answer :p
    Any Atom support coming in the future?