The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I hope CPUs don't degrade that fast, has that been your experience? I've undervolted a laptop CPU before to edge of stability & it was stable like that for 2yrs+ until I bought a new laptop; I've had the same experience with overclocked GPUs overclocked to edge of stability & they were stable for 5yrs+ until I stopped using them due to obsolescence. I'm wondering then if my overclocked 6700K will start to degrade then? My understanding was that it was really only high voltage & high temperatures that caused degredation. I can understand that a well looked after CPU might degrade after the 10yr mark say, but before?

cj_miranda23 and duttyend like this.
  2. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it's Intel's attitude is not really about fast degradation of voltage requirement. It's more about quality control and efficiency. They are not doing extensive tests on cpus and they are testing only few samples which means that if they apply a safe overvolt they get:
    - less faulty or demoted cpus from the same production
    - still acceptable temp
    - some cpu with decent overclock/downvolt (making enthusiasts happy).

Their overvolt is just a safety factor they use to keep better profits. Making extensive tests to apply a "close-to-the-edge" voltage for each cpu would be very expensive and lead enthusiausts to an already optimized piece of silicon (no fun no party).

KabyLake usually grants allows less downvolt because their production is more efficient/refined and thus they were able to reduce their safety factor over SkyLake. For the same reason, since they are selling chips at almost the same frequencies, you can get few hundreds of MHz more with KabyLake over SkyLake with proper delidding and cooling.

cktducky and Robbo99999 like this.
  3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This makes sense what you say, I'm inclined to think it's for the reasons you listed rather than to safeguard against any future degredation - that would also fit in better with my experience with undervolts & overclocks remaining stable for multiple years (ie no degredation).

cktducky likes this.
  4. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I absolutely agree with you! :)

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I just love how @unclewebb keeps making ThrottleStop better and better. Too bad we can't say the same thing about what Micro$loth does with Windows.

tf5.JPG

D2 Ultima, pressing and duttyend like this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    :vbthumbsup: for the special Fox Tornado version of ThrottleStop. That should look good in the next TS video you do.

I enjoyed the recent Windows 10 clean up project you posted. Highly recommended.

D2 Ultima, Papusan, pressing and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, it will look amazing. I'm going to have to do another one pretty soon and that will make it all the nicer.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox & @unclewebb : Did TS become open-source or is it photo-shopped?
    Mr. Fox have you tried tweaking No. of threads to 12/16/24 to get a bump in scores OR 100% stress test tool for CPU OC.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No and no. @Mr. Fox has been a long time supporter of ThrottleStop and I have always appreciated his helpful videos so I decided to create a special version of ThrottleStop for him. Anyone with over 17,000 rep points on NBR deserves some recognition. He has also helped guide TS development, making sure it doesn't become a big, bloated mess like some programs and operating systems have become.

D2 Ultima, Vasudev, Papusan and 5 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It's always a pleasure supporting you and a product as awesome as ThrottleStop. There are a few heroes in my overclocking world, and you're one of the few, bro. You're in good company with @Prema, @Mumak, @svl7 and @Johnksss@iBUYPOWER on my list of Rock Stars.