The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Android voltage control apps have a feature where they start on boot but with a one minute delay (or the program could start but only apply settings after a one minute delay) so the program can easily be closed before voltages are applied.

pressing and alexhawker like this.
  2. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @crusher88 , you can use OCCT 4.4.2, running 3D test with clicking check error box as well as Prime95 v28.10[First one, Small FFTs] for your testing purpose. In my laptop, it can go up to 31W(~19W[CPU]+~12W[GPU]) with i5-4200U CPU. The temperature is up to 88 degree.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. imrazor

imrazor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Any idea if it's possible to upgrade this laptop (HP ProBook 6460b) to the chip you mentioned (i7-2720qm)? The official literature seems to indicate that I've got the most powerful i7 (dual core) for this laptop, but it uses the same chipset and cooling solution as the Elitebook 8460p, which can take quads.

4. Takeishi

Takeishi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Check this thread:
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/hp-probook-6460b-cpu-upgrade.18699997/

Compatible list for Intel HM65 chipset:
    list of compatible CPU's for the chipset
    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/HM65_Express.html

Also (this one is for the 6560b):
    h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-probook-6560b-Upgrade-processor-help/td-p/2257171

Interesting answers from the thread:

"I installed a i7-2620M which worked fantastically, I did some research and asked a couple of intel guys and they said I can stick any 2nd gen i7 in the probook so I am now running the i7-2820QM in a probook 6560b with 16gb ram, you really notice the difference with 4 cores even though the 2620 had a turbo it's still only on one core."

Followed by:

"running the i7-2820QM flawlessly, 1 hour stress test got max 74 degress across all four cores, running at idle is 30 - 40, hope it helps guys"

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  5. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:

I can only say uncleweb is one of the coolest guys i had the pleasure to meet in this forum!
    It´s been a pleasure to supply him with input and it´s a pleasure for our Brand to be able to have this TS version for our clients.

D2 Ultima, unclewebb and Matthew Gary like this.
  6. AndiiiHD

AndiiiHD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    and its nice that you share your Obsidian tool with the comminity too - sadly you do not do so with the BIOS :-( i would even like to donate for it... (but i understand the reasons)

7. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you want to donate to someone please do it, donate to uncleweb.
    As for the BIOS it would raise havoc with other brands/resellers, im sorry i cant do that...

8. JerryDD

JerryDD Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, I consider buying a Clevo N650DU or W650KK1 and putting i7-7700k in it. There are some thermal challenges with it and, as a part of the solution, I'd like to undervolt the CPU. I've been told by a reseller than it's not possible in BIOS, so OS is the only way.
    1. Do you have a suspicion that it may be blocked by the motherboard (h170)?
    2. I'd like to lower it with TS, but I can't because I'm not going to put Windows on that machine. Linux and FreeBSD for me. I know what are MSRs and how to set them, but would need some assistance as to where can I find voltage offset. I looked up Intel's manual on Kaby Lake MSRs, but can't find this one.
    unclewebb, could you help me with that?

9. AndiiiHD

AndiiiHD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    my reseller told me that his N650DU does not have an Bios Update for Kaby Lake microcodes at the moment. And he has no time schedule if this ever will happen....

10. JerryDD

JerryDD Notebook Guru

Reputations: