The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HOWEVER, CHanging the PP0 Current Limit to a lower value like 5-10 will cause my CPU and GPU to run at lower speeds, thus reducing power consumption of the entire package

2. ptrl

ptrl Newbie

Reputations:
    I did try XTU - no effects
    Despite the fact that, modding bios is dangerous and I can brick my laptop. I would like to know your opinion about some features that I probably could unlock. Here are some, that caught my attention:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Do You think some of those would allow me to turn off the 59W limit?

3. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask which tools are you using to mod the BIOS? And which laptop brand do you have?

4. ptrl

ptrl Newbie

Reputations:
    It's AMIBCP4.53. Laptop is Asus K53SV.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  5. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    No, Intel XTU doesn't let me change voltage the way it usually is with other Intel Core U.
    And I checked the profile in TS main menu, it is the right one (nº3). I tried to set the main menu to profile 1 and then in FIVR change the voltage, but it doesn't do anything :(
    Well, maybe Apple "locked" the CPU voltage controls...

Have a great week end
    Cheers

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Thanks. You get the gold star for providing me with lots of pics and useful info. I am always begging for more info but not this time.

ThrottleStop is not able to change the long term turbo power limits for any of the low power U CPU series. It would be great if it could but long term, these CPUs will throttle down to the 15 Watt TDP limit and I don't know of any way to get around that.

The TDP Level Control can be set in 2 or more different places. ThrottleStop only has access to the MSR register and setting this usually doesn't solve the entire problem. Once again, it would be great if long term you could truly lock a U CPU into the 25 Watt TDP Level 2 mode but so far, you cannot.

Your last screenshot shows PP0 Power Limit is not checked so this is not being used. I would leave this limit set to 0 and I would not check this option. I would also not use the Clamp option on the Package Power Long.

You have Speed Shift enabled but the Energy Performance Preference (EPP) is not checked on the main screen so this is using the default value of 128. For maximum performance, you can try checking this on the main screen and setting this to 0 but this might not make any significant difference.

Did you try running the built in Limit Reasons program while testing? It should give you a better idea of what is causing the throttling. When the CPU drops down to 15 Watts, it is likely going to show PL1 in red which means the CPU is being throttled based on the 15 Watt turbo power limit. I like playing with various TS settings while seeing Limit Reasons light up. When stress testing, the cause of the throttling tends to vary as various limits kick in to ruin your day.

About the only truly useful thing ThrottleStop can do for the U CPUs is reduce the voltage. I have heard that some of the 6th Gen U CPUs can reliably run with a negative offset Core and Cache voltage of up to -150 mV. This helps increase battery run time and reducing power consumption allows the CPU to run at max turbo longer before throttling. I wish there was more that ThrottleStop could do to help the cause but without full documentation or a 6th Gen U to play with, ThrottleStop is limited.

@ptrl - Everything in your bios of importance is already unlocked or set to a high enough value that I do not think unlocking your bios is going to make any difference. It is definitely not worth bricking your laptop. You are already getting great performance out of your 45 Watt mobile CPU. Overclocking is lots of fun but when you reach the point where there is virtually nothing left to gain, it is OK to stop. I see a 2920XM going for $129 on EBay today. Maybe that should be your next step. :)

If true, that would be very sad. I hope other manufacturers do not take all the fun out of tweaking ones CPU but I am sure sooner or later they will. :(

Maleko48 and duttyend like this.
  7. Che0063

Reputations:
    Thank you, however, changing and fiddling around further with these settings yield no differences
    I did notice, however, that setting the value to 0 and stress testing it would result in a green SST sign beside the value. What does this mean? Surely Intel Smart Sound Technologies has nothing to do with throttling...

Yes, I see PL1 in red and PL2 in yellow

My reliable voltage is -80-86mVish. Anything above (or below) 90-mV is luck, my CPU survives stress testing some of the times, other times it just stops whilst browsing, and others it locks up when changing power plans. This did significantly improve clocks, however.

Oh! And more about changing the Primary Plane Power Limits PP0 Current Limit - Changing it to a lower value will decrease the "TDP" of the package. Changing it to 10 will cause the package to try and limit the power consumption to 4.2W~

So yay, I guess, its unfortunate we can't change the TDP, but its nice to have the power of an Intel Core m Y series processor on hand. I expect you'll be moving to Kaby Lake soon, good luck with that! Nevertheless I'm just a 13 year old who hopes that his laptop will still be in use a decade from now

Its ridiculous that Intel has to throttle these chips with the iGPU/CPU really. I'd have expected by now that they can both run at full speed without power issues.

EDIT: My older (11 months ago) laptop had an i5-6200U and GeForce 920M, and I saw the exact same behavior- rising to 18W and dropping back to 15W if that helps. There were no Speed Shift/EPP values to fiddle with.

I absolutely hated the laptop, it gave a very low price/performance ratio, was poorly optimized and had an issue with System Interrupts. I spent 3 months arguing with "i-think-i-know-it-all-and-just-because-you-are-a-child-you-know-nothing-about-computers" technical support agents, and finally I got a store refund

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    margroloc and t456 like this.
  8. todda7

todda7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb @Che0063 to get around the 15W PL1 limit on Skylake U processors you can use monitor PL1 in HWiNFO and increase PL1 with XTU from the command line when it drops below say 25 Watts. The downside is that HWiNFO does require some resources to run constantly.

[​IMG]

pl1.bat set PL1 to 20 watts, waits 3 seconds then sets it to 25 watts. invis.vbs hides the command windows. Hwinfo checks PL1 every 30 seconds and runs the script if it's below 25 watts.
    If there's any less resource intensive way of monitoring PL1 then let me know

pl1.bat:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XtuCLI.exe" -t -id 48 -v 20 & timeout 3 & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client\XtuCLI.exe" -t -id 48 -v 25

invis.vbs:
    Code:
    CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run """" & WScript.Arguments(0) & """", 0, False

Maleko48, pressing and duttyend like this.
  9. Che0063

Reputations:
    This is very interesting... I'm assuming you are on a Business Notebook, since you have a vPro 6600U Processor, something like the Acer Travelmate, HP Elitebook, or Dell Latitude?

Thanks for sharing this, I'll check this in the afternoon

10. todda7

todda7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4