The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is it recommended to disable c1e on i7 6700hq for maximum game performance?

2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Disabling c1e on my i5 6300HQ made a huge difference for performance of low-latency virtual instruments. You may find same benefit with games; give it a try.

You may be able to disable all c-states in bios, but that had some negatives for me. So the c1e switch in ThrottleStop was indeed a useful feature.

duttyend likes this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    For most applications, whether C1E is enabled or disabled will not make any noticeable difference. If a CPU core has something to do, it is going to be in the C0 state. When it has nothing to do, it is going to quickly drop down into C3 / C6 / C7. With all of these C States available, the percentage of time a core spends in C1E is not very much. I leave C1E disabled.

duttyend likes this.
  4. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thankyou so much for the reply. If i want maximum game performance, should i disable all c states? If yes then how can i do that?

5. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Bro the minimum value shown by SST is 1 and not 0.

duttyend likes this.
  6. ptrl

ptrl Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I didnt want to start a new thread, because this one seems to be perfect for this. My spec asus x53SV with i7-2760QM.

Here are my ThrottleStop settings
    [​IMG]

I noticed weird throttling and i want to ask if there is any way to override it. For nearly 3 mins at full load TDP fluctuates between 62-65W (multiplier x32). And then, boom ~59W limit, and it stays at this level forever (multiplier x30). I think temp is not a problem here, because meanwhile fan is stable at 4400rpm and max is 5000rpm.

[​IMG]

Weird thing is also, if I force multiplier to x28 for a moment, then for a moment I can push again cpu to x32, but only for a few sec.

[​IMG]

Seems like there is some throttling, that depends on average TDP calculated in time domain probably around 160 sec (after this time TDP is forced down). Can in it be overridden in some simple way?

PS Sorry for my eng. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  7. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    duttyend likes this.
  8. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear unclewebb,

First of all, thank you so much for this wonderful software.

Thanks to a recent post from you, I have been able to activate Speed Shift on my CPU (core i5 6360U) and have noticed better responsiveness in nearly every task.

I only have one problem : I can't manage to undervolt my CPU or GPU. I tried an offset voltage of -20 mV in every available category but it didn't change anything (see enclosed screenshot).
    Do you have any idea why it is not working ?

Thanks again and have a great day !

Attached Files:

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Your Core i7-2760QM has a TDP rating of 45 Watts. If you can run it long term at 59 Watts then I would say that you are doing great. I don't think that there is anything that you can do to get beyond this limit. Maybe you need to upgrade to a 2920XM which would be better suited to running this sort of load.

I noticed a few minor things but it probably won't make any difference. The ThrottleStop - TPL window shows that your maximum turbo time limit is 64 seconds. I am not sure if it makes any difference setting this to the maximum possible value of 3670016. I would not check the PP0 limit and I would leave that set to the default value of 0. Intel CPUs are designed to throttle based on power consumption. Have you tried using Intel XTU? There might be a power setting that XTU has access to that ThrottleStop does not.

The Intel docs say that EPP can be adjusted from 0 to 255 with a default value of 128.

@duttyend - I have seen ThrottleStop working correctly on other 6th Gen U CPUs so perhaps the voltage register is locked and cannot be adjusted by software. I cannot recall seeing this problem on any other Intel CPU. Did you try using Intel XTU to adjust your voltage? At least Speed Shift is working for you.

Edit - I noticed one possible problem. In ThrottleStop you are adjusting your offset voltages in Profile 3, the Internet profile. Is ThrottleStop on the main screen set to this same profile? Set ThrottleStop to the same profile and then open up the FIVR window and see if the voltages in the table at the top right have changed.

@Dashing_97 - Disabling all of the C States on a 6700HQ will make it run slower. Maximum turbo boost can only be achieved when the C3, C6 or C7 C State is available. Disabling all of the C States will also make yoru laptop run significantly hotter. Not recommended but if you want to give this a try, let me know. You have to go into the registry and you have to change a value there and reboot for the change to take effect. Let me review this 500+ page thread to see if I can find which registry value needs to be tweaked.

Edit - Looks like this C State topic came up almost 3 years ago. I will teach you how to use Google someday. Just kidding. :)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-206#post-9631401

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Jon Webb and duttyend like this.
  10. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi unclewebb, I appreciate the software you have coded for us, Thank you very much!

I only have one issue: I am unable to change the TDP for my Intel Core i7-6500U. Nominal TDP is 15W, Up is 25W, and down is 7W.

The base clock is 2.5GHz, Up to 3.1GHz with one core active and 3GHz with 2 cored active

Changing the Intel Power Balance values don't work...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, None of these settings will change anything. Here are my FIVR Voltage Settings:
    [​IMG]
    However, changing the PP0 Current Limit works, temporarily, and the CPU/GPU clock speeds are raised slightly, not fully, but slightly, and the CPU Package uses 17.9W-18.6W
    [​IMG]
    But after 10-15 seconds clock speeds drop back

I'm not complaining at all, for my laptop, the CPU can constantly run at 3.0GHz Turbo in my most intensive game (Cities Skylines, makes my CPU run at 100%, and GPU is also maxed out) , as long as I use the Nvidia GeForce 945M Graphics fMost of my gaming on my 1080p laptop is managed by the Intel HD graphics to keep temperatures and power consumption down.

The TPD Power COntrol LEvel 1 (7W) Doesn't work, either...