The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Diversion,

I had that issue last week.

Try clicking on the "CPU color" and changing the color-font. If that does not work try doing the same for the CPU MHz. If that does not work, move everything out of the tray at the bottom right of your screen and try the color-font changes again.

One of those things fixed it for me...

duttyend likes this.
  2. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No dice.. Tried that.. What is odd is that the CPU MHZ option DOES work but the CPU Temp does not ... So strange, even deleted settings ini and still does it. I'll try just deleting the entire folder and try again.

Edit: Fresh copy does the same thing.. very strange. Seems like some kind of Windows conflict.

3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you running any other software that monitors temperature, clock speeds, etc (like HWiNFO64, HWMonitor, LatencyMon, etc.)? If so they might conflict with each other and ThrottleStop

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    duttyend likes this.
  5. byviolet

byviolet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have two questions:

1. if I'm just undervolting, do I still need to press "turn on/turn off" in the menu?

2. I cannot seem to get this minimized to the system tray. if I click the minimize button it should go into the tray right? Instead, it's at the taskbar. EDIT: nevermind, got this working haha.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  6. arshcaria

arshcaria Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I found an issue on ThrottleStop speed shift settings.

I have my laptop speed shift enabled natively in BIOS. And Windows 10 "High Performance" has a default EPP value of "0", which will fix CPU frequency at the highest.

But if I start ThrottleStop, it will overwrite EPP with the value in TPL panel.

In TPL panel I have "Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts" unchecked. But the checkbox of "Speed Shift" CANNOT be unchecked (gray checked).

upload_2016-12-4_0-15-7.png

So I cannot make ThrottleStop NOT to overwrite Windows default EPP values.

I have to manually switch Windows power plan and back to restore to Windows default.

Any suggestion to fix it? I am using version 8.30.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    duttyend likes this.
  7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The reason for this is that once Speed Shift is enabled within the processor, there is no way for any software like ThrottleStop to disable Speed Shift. If this checkbox was left unlocked, it would give users the impression that they could simply turn Speed Shift off but that is not possible. Speed Shift can only be disabled by the bios before Windows starts up.

Control of Speed Shift within ThrottleStop is an experimental feature. Based on your feedback, I will try to add an extra option to this feature so ThrottleStop will not change the EPP value unless you specifically want ThrottleStop to change EPP. Thanks for the feedback.

duttyend and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  8. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I recently picked up a venue 11 7140 tablet which has a core m 5y10 inside (broadwell).
    I didn't see much information about using throttlestop to undervolt broadwell core m cpus so in case anyone wonders whether this works I'm happy to report that indeed it does work.

• CPU Core: I tested with -60mV and it seemed pretty stable (tested in furmark, and battlefield 3 - which surprisingly does run on core m, albeit with everything low and at some oddball 500x400 resolution. in an unpopulated noshar canals map just running around you can hit 60fps constantly, but with 15 people in the map that drops to 30-40fps). Cranked it to -90mV and instant blue screen.
    • iGPU: -60mV seems to work okay (again in furmark & bf3). Tried -120mV and the display driver crashed and recovered. Surprisingly fault tolerant, but not stable.
    • System agent: I just set it to -125mV (on desktop) and the screen started having a seizure. Didn't crash, very fault tolerant, but not stable.
    • CPU Cache: Overlooked this and didn't undervolt very far but -20mV seemed stable yesterday (not going to push it now because if I crash the computer I lose all this typing lol)
    • Analog IO: I tried -150mV and it froze the computer, had to reset with power button.
    • Digital IO: I tried -140mV and the computer instantly turned off

My testing has been very brief but as you can see undervolting broadwell using TS is very different from doing the same thing skylake, since on skylake analog & digital IO don't do anything and the CPU Core-Cache & iGPU-System Agent are connected. On broadwell core m each of these adjustments actually does something unique.

I couldn't notice any power consumption or temperature improvements from undervolting - in my brief testing yesterday TS reported the same package/iGPU power consumption figures regardless of whether undervolts were turned on. I would be able to confirm for sure the magnitude of the change in power consumption if I had a usb power meter on hand (maybe aida64 would do it too, but not installed atm).

However, it seems these core m undervolts actually do free up the thermal/power budget for higher clockspeeds. For example when I was running furmark yesterday with no undervolt (at 400x200), sustained performance was 15-16fps (dipping to 14, never reaching 17). After applying an iGPU undervolt of -60mV, the fps magically shot up to 16, then 17 (spiking to 18, but never dipping below 16) - which is +12%. So clearly undervolting works (as if the crashing didn't already show that), but the effect is minimal at idle - and still not immediately obvious at load (during my furmark runs I had gpuz open to track power [which didn't budge at all with undervolts] and gpu clockspeeds [which randomly fluctuated between steady periods of 800MHz and random periods of 400-650MHz, but those had no correlation at all to performance nor power consumption nor whether the undervolt was enabled or not]... so, not easily measured)

duttyend and unclewebb like this.
  9. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Stop running Furmark if you value your PC... It is a total power virus.. Run something like Firestrike or Heaven benchmark if you want to do any testing..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

duttyend and pressing like this.
  10. Bug in

Bug in Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good morning,

I'm looking for a software that could give me my power consumption live. I have been unable to find any of that.
    Does somebody know a good soft?
    Thanks