The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The Task Scheduler works great but it has some default options that need to be disabled. The following guide has lots of pictures so you will be able to see exactly how the Task Scheduler should look when you are done.

For this example, I created the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ThrottleStop and I unzipped all of the ThrottleStop files into that folder. If you ever drag a ThrottleStop folder from one folder or directory to a new folder or directory, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This will force ThrottleStop to create a new ThrottleStop.INI configuration file with the correct read / write attributes. The pictures are from Windows 7 but the Task Scheduler is pretty much the same in any version of Windows.

1) Open the Task Scheduler. On the left side, highlight the Task Scheduler Library folder and then on the right side, click on Create Basic Task...

2) In the Name box, enter ThrottleStop

[​IMG]

3) If you want ThrottleStop to only run in the background and you do not want a user to have any access to the user interface, for Task Trigger select, "When the computer starts". If you want the ThrottleStop user interface to be available from the Task Bar or System Tray, select, "When I log on".

[​IMG]

4) In the Action window select, Start a program

[​IMG]

5) Click on the Browse... button and navigate to where you have ThrottleStop.exe located.

[​IMG]

6) When you get to the Summary tab, check off, "Open the Properties dialog for this task when I click Finish".

[​IMG]

7) Now you can go back and double check to make sure the Create Basic Task wizard set things up correctly. On the General tab, if you want access to the user interface, make sure, "Run only when user is logged on" is checked. If you want ThrottleStop to quietly run in the background, make sure "Run whether user is logged on or not" is checked. In either situation, check off, "Run with highest privileges".

[​IMG]

8) If you want ThrottleStop to only be running in the background, the Triggers tab should look like this.

[​IMG]

9) The Actions tab should show the program that you want to run.

[​IMG]

10) For the Conditions tab, make sure nothing is checked. Some boxes will be checked but grayed out. You need to click on the box above any of these boxes so that you can clear the box that is grayed out. When done, nothing should be checked.

[​IMG]

11) Same thing for the Settings tab. Make sure everything except the top box is clear. The only box that I have checked is, "Allow task to be run on demand".

[​IMG]

If the goal is to make sure that Speed Shift is running all the time, start ThrottleStop, click on the TPL button, and check off, "Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts". Click on OK. This setting enables Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts or when you resume from Sleep or Hibernate mode with ThrottleStop running in the System Tray or Task Bar or if ThrottleStop is running in the background. To test your new task, restart Windows.

If you want to make sure that Speed Shift is enabled after you resume, restart HWiNFO after you resume so it can re-sample your current CPU state. It should show SST in green if everything is OK.

Edit - Here is an example of what happens when HWiNFO is started first and Speed Shift is enabled after HWiNFO has already started.

[​IMG]

MSR 0x770 is set to 1 so Speed Shift is definitely enabled but HWiNFO does not update the SST flag in real time so it is still showing red. That is why you need to restart HWiNFO after Speed Shift is enabled. I think some people have forgot to restart HWiNFO so they might think that Speed Shift is disabled when it is really enabled. I am using the Windows High Performance power profile so the 800 MHz confirms that Speed Shift is likely enabled.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Maleko48, Papusan, bennyg and 8 others like this.
  2. Phawx

Phawx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everyone,

I've had the z8750 (cherry trail) version of the GPD win for around a week now. The BIOS on this thing is completely wide open. You can see a video I made going through the suite of options available:

So far in the options I've made the thermal ceiling of the CPU throttle to be 80C and it now never ever thottles, I've run TL benchmark and it's never downclocked ever. It will happily stay pegged at 2.56Ghz the entire time. My problem is more about my GPU. While the HD 405 has a 600Mhz ceiling, even if I don't do anything GPU related, if I do a CPU bench, my GPU will downclock to 400Mhz. I have successfully prevented this from happening ... for a little while. Maybe 10 mins before the GPU ramps back down again.

I do plan on opening the device to improve the heatsink, but before I do that I wanted to know if there is a better way that I could force the GPU to stay at 600Mhz.

For what's it's worth this is the device in "High Performance mode" without ThrottleStop: http://www.3dmark.com/cg/3820812

And this is the GPD Win with ThrottleStop preventing the GPU from downclocking for a little bit: http://www.3dmark.com/cg/3821948

The heatsink is really unoptimized as they just CNC'd the heatsink and put that on the CPU with TIM. So I'm looking to lap the heatsink and put in a pure silver shim. (and lapping the silver shim).

Let me know what information you need from me. Most people will be getting the 8700 version of the GPDwin but it would be nice if we could make the tools to open the power of the device a bit easier.

Thanks in advance.

3. Michael Z

Michael Z Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

yesterday I found out about the existence of this amazing tool and forum! Since its my first attempt in undervolting a CPU and I am kind of (too) cautious to anything related with voltages I wanted to ask you guys about one thing. I want to undervolt my i7 6700hq and I read in a tutorial that you need to change the offset voltage for CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU. I have heard that a good starting point is to set the offset to -150mV for CPU Core and CPU Cache. My laptop is a Clevo P670RS-G and I am using the discrete mode in the control center which means that I am only using my nvidia GPU and that is the reason why I dont know if I should adjust the offset for the Intel GPU too or not.

Any help shall be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  4. typk

typk Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb, absolutely love ThrottleStop. Thank you for your hard work.

I have a few issues with the latest version.

I have a HP Probook 6560b with a 2720QM when running the latest version of ThrottleStop V8.30 I get processor not fully supported, but I do see a small increase in my CPU Mark score. However I get the best results with V6.00 which doesn't complain about the CPU. (I get over 1000 points higher on V6.00 at 6707, but still below some of the highest results around 7140)

Processor temps are fine on full load never going above 80C.

Is there anything I may be missing in the settings? I have had a play, but cannot replicate the same score with the latest version.

Thanks!

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    If I was new to under volting, I would not start at -150 mV. If you wanted to learn how to swim, would you head to the nearest Olympic sized pool and climb up to the top of the highest diving platform? I hope not or Mr. Lifeguard will have to get off his butt and scrape you off the bottom of the pool.

When under volting, it is best to go slow and do some thorough benchmark testing along the way. When you start dropping the voltage, at some point, your CPU will become unstable and your computer will lock up and crash. If you go in one big step, maybe your computer will crash so bad that it will corrupt Windows. Are all of your files backed up? Are you prepared to reinstall Windows if the back-up partition on your hard drive becomes corrupted too?

Many Skylake CPUs can be under volted significantly. How about start at -50 mV for the CPU Core and CPU Cache and go from there. Maybe continue dropping the voltages in steps of -10 mV or -20 mV. Once you have found some stable settings for your core and cache, go back and start under volting the Intel GPU too. If it is not being used, it might not make much of a difference so it might not be necessary to under volt this too.

Your 2720QM should be fully supported by either version. Are you using an ES processor or is it the original retail processor? I saw a guy on EBay yesterday that was installing Engineering Sample CPUs in laptops and then jacking the price up to make a quick buck. Sick.

Post a pic of CPU-Z and show me a pic of how you have TS setup. Why not check off the Log File option in each version so you have some data that shows how the CPU is performing during the benchmark. You should be able to attach a log file to your message or copy and paste the data to http://www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

Michael Z likes this.
  6. Michael Z

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer! I guess I was a little bit naive and people recommended me to start (on my specific CPU) with -150mV and seeing people getting stable -200mV I did not think about it. I guess it was a silly idea to start with a value that high. The good thing though is that -150mV seem to work for my CPU - I was using the heaven benchmark yesterday for about 7 straight hours with no problems at all and significantly lower temps. Same for Battlefield 1 - the game ran flawlessly for 2 hours. I know that I must keep on testing, I am definitely gonna get Prime95 to get some tests there but I started with the Heaven benchmark first since people reported that its good to test both the CPU and GPU as stability tests.

7. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Late reply due to physical unavailability for local testing. Finally managed to go around testing BIOS settings and while nothing had been changed, I went and switched C States from automatic to fixed maximum available states, that apparently toggling C State readings back on.

While Core C State Percent is displaying values as expected on according C States, I've noticed how Package C State Percent is always displaying values under C2 with all others always at 0.0. Is there something additional I should look into? Also, should C3 Interrupt Response Limit settings be changed? They're currently set as default.

Screenshot attached for reference.

EDIT: External image link due to forum issues - http://i.imgur.com/70B7aNw.png

Attached Files:

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    That's great news. The 6th Gen Skylakes love to be under volted. For comparison, my 4th Gen 4700MQ is not fully stable at -50 mV. Not sure why Intel cranked up the voltage on the Skylakes but it seems to be completely unnecessary. A lot of people avoid Prime95 testing because of the excessive heat it creates due to running mostly AVX instructions within the CPU. If your laptop is mostly used for gaming and your games are stable then being Prime95 stable may be overkill.

My desktop Skylake board does the same thing. It does not matter what I select in the bios, the deepest Package C State is limited to C2. I am not sure what is blocking this or if I will ever be able to find a way around this issue.

Was your computer idle when you posted that C State screenshot? When testing C States, your computer has to be idle or else your tests are meaningless. If that is idle, you need to find out what is running in the background and start cleaning house. Here is what idle looks like.

[​IMG]

This laptop is limited to Package C6 which isn't much different compared to Package C7. At least the individual cores are all spending lots of time in C7.

Maleko48, i_pk_pjers_i and Michael Z like this.
  9. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb,

Is there any way that you know of to monitor the C States below C7 (whether using TS or something else)?

The numbers that TS reports for me never add up to 100% (and I assume that is because my CPU is going even deeper than the C7 state).

10. Michael Z

Reputations:
    So as promised I did some thorough testing after running the Heaven benchmark overnight (8 hours in total) I went for 7 hours prime95 and then a 16 hours OCCT stability test since many people recommend it now over Prime95. I was really satisfied with the temperatures and also very happy that all of the tests went good without any errors at all with my -150mV undervolt. I got very lucky that starting with -150mV worked out for me but in the future I will definitely follow your advice and start with lower steps :). Thank you so much for your help and dedication towards this forum and your amazing program ThrottleStop!

Is there any possibility to donate money towards the development of ThrottleStop? Have a great start to the week!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016