The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Michael Z

Michael Z Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your answer! I guess I was a little bit naive and people recommended me to start (on my specific CPU) with -150mV and seeing people getting stable -200mV I did not think about it. I guess it was a silly idea to start with a value that high. The good thing though is that -150mV seem to work for my CPU - I was using the heaven benchmark yesterday for about 7 straight hours with no problems at all and significantly lower temps. Same for Battlefield 1 - the game ran flawlessly for 2 hours. I know that I must keep on testing, I am definitely gonna get Prime95 to get some tests there but I started with the Heaven benchmark first since people reported that its good to test both the CPU and GPU as stability tests.

2. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Late reply due to physical unavailability for local testing. Finally managed to go around testing BIOS settings and while nothing had been changed, I went and switched C States from automatic to fixed maximum available states, that apparently toggling C State readings back on.

While Core C State Percent is displaying values as expected on according C States, I've noticed how Package C State Percent is always displaying values under C2 with all others always at 0.0. Is there something additional I should look into? Also, should C3 Interrupt Response Limit settings be changed? They're currently set as default.

Screenshot attached for reference.

EDIT: External image link due to forum issues - http://i.imgur.com/70B7aNw.png

Attached Files:

Maleko48 likes this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That's great news. The 6th Gen Skylakes love to be under volted. For comparison, my 4th Gen 4700MQ is not fully stable at -50 mV. Not sure why Intel cranked up the voltage on the Skylakes but it seems to be completely unnecessary. A lot of people avoid Prime95 testing because of the excessive heat it creates due to running mostly AVX instructions within the CPU. If your laptop is mostly used for gaming and your games are stable then being Prime95 stable may be overkill.

My desktop Skylake board does the same thing. It does not matter what I select in the bios, the deepest Package C State is limited to C2. I am not sure what is blocking this or if I will ever be able to find a way around this issue.

Was your computer idle when you posted that C State screenshot? When testing C States, your computer has to be idle or else your tests are meaningless. If that is idle, you need to find out what is running in the background and start cleaning house. Here is what idle looks like.

[​IMG]

This laptop is limited to Package C6 which isn't much different compared to Package C7. At least the individual cores are all spending lots of time in C7.

Maleko48, i_pk_pjers_i and Michael Z like this.
  4. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb,

Is there any way that you know of to monitor the C States below C7 (whether using TS or something else)?

The numbers that TS reports for me never add up to 100% (and I assume that is because my CPU is going even deeper than the C7 state).

5. Michael Z

Michael Z Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So as promised I did some thorough testing after running the Heaven benchmark overnight (8 hours in total) I went for 7 hours prime95 and then a 16 hours OCCT stability test since many people recommend it now over Prime95. I was really satisfied with the temperatures and also very happy that all of the tests went good without any errors at all with my -150mV undervolt. I got very lucky that starting with -150mV worked out for me but in the future I will definitely follow your advice and start with lower steps :). Thank you so much for your help and dedication towards this forum and your amazing program ThrottleStop!

Is there any possibility to donate money towards the development of ThrottleStop? Have a great start to the week!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  6. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do have a few negligible software running in the background for displaying information with not so high refresh timers, nothing that would ramp up CPU loads noticeably. So far I've seen the CPU going over 79% C2, but nothing at all on C3 and deeper. Will be testing individual Package C State BIOS settings other than Enabled (which I assumed would enable all states from C2 up to C7s).

7. keshavmot2

keshavmot2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also saw some weird behavior with C states with Speed Shift on (XPS 15 9550). If I restart the laptop and run throttlestop, it will go to the c6 and c7 but as soon as I put it to sleep and wake it up, it will only go down to c3, causing some pretty bad battery life.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Edit: I just tested it without speedshift and the same thing happens. For some reason after putting the laptop to sleep it doesn't want to go below c3 causing the idle wattage to go from 1/2 W to 5-7W

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Thanks for the offer but donation is a bad word anywhere on the Notebook Review site. There might be a paid version of TS someday so save your money for that. Have you tried going beyond -150 mV? Maybe you have a golden chip that would be quite happy at -200 mV. You never know until you do some testing, in small steps of course. :)

Can you post a screenshot of the TS - C State window at idle so I can have a look? I think the latest version of HWiNFO reports C State activity but I am not sure if it reports all of them. If you want to help me with development, can you run my RegReport program?

https://www.sendspace.com/file/isttre

[​IMG]

Each time you click the Report button, RegReport creates a text file which shows the values of each register location in your CPU for each thread. Useless information for most normal folk but quite handy when I am trying to see what registers and C States are being used. You can open up the .txt file to have a look before sending it to me. C8, C9 and C10 activity should be located in registers; 0x630, 0x631 and 0x632. Scroll down to those three lines. If you see a bunch of zeros on each line, that means the counter is not counting any time in those C States. If your CPU has been idle, a line of zeros confirms that C8, C9 and C10 are not being used.

Make sure that after resuming from sleep, your computer has had plenty of time to settle down. Some operating systems or programs spin their wheels for quite a while after resuming, doing various background tasks, so it might take a while for your CPU to settle down and start using the deeper C States again. If you are still having problems, contact Dell and ask them about this XPS 15 feature. This could be a bug in the bios if it is not setting the CPU up correctly after resuming. Before contacting Dell, try confirming this problem with other XPS 15 users on the forums.

There are lots of apps out there that should not be interfering with the C States but in actual fact, they do, and sometimes significantly. The C0% in ThrottleStop is a good way to monitor for this. If adding an app makes a big change to the C0% at idle, that app is probably crap.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    duttyend likes this.
  9. villahed94

villahed94 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I recently installed Server 2016 on my Lenovo Y50 (It's like Win10 but lighter and without spyware).
    However unlike Windows 7 where it gets to C7 state, on Server it stays on C3.
    I took screen captures and MSR captures on both Win7 and Server 2016.
    I added a ZIP of those files. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

10. methyn

methyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again,
    My Y50 refuses to run above 3.0Ghz on all cores. I cant set the throttlestop. I ve read the thread and set my cpu/cache core to -85mv and intel gpu to -64.5mv. Are there any settings that I should set? Below my screenshots while rendering. Forgive me but this is my second question about this particular problem.
    Unclewebb thank you for this great software. It means alot for me as a Lenovo Y50 owner who suffers the most about throttling issues.
    (cpu 4720hq)

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      136.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      167.1 KB