The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Spunky90

Spunky90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I am sorry if it has been asked before. I recently purchased a MSI GS60 6QE with Skylake 6700HQ.

It is running on 3.1 GHz on all 4 cores and I would like to force it to 3.5 as it was on my previous laptop with 4710HQ.

However when I set the multiplier to 35 it still goes only to 3.1 GHz. I also noticed that there is no option to overclock to 37 as it was in the previous 4710. Is that intended for the Skylake CPUs or do I have to change something in BIOS/Throttlestop settings.

The CPU runs quite cool tho. It barely reaches 70 C while running prime on 3.1Ghz.

Many Thanks.

2. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    6700HQ is not an overclockable chip.

3.1Ghz on all 4 cores is how the 6700HQ operates.

3. Spunky90

Spunky90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know that but on 4710 I was able to increase the speed to the single core frequency which was 3.5 and i had all 4 cores run at that speed instead of only one of them. Furthermore I was able to increase the single core clock speed to 3.7 GHz. And everything that only trough Throttlestop. On 6700hq i cannot do that. It allows me to change the settings but they do not apply.

4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Plur is right. While 4710 can be overclocked, 6700hq cannot. Maximum speed for all 4 cores is fixed at 3.1 GHz. 6700hq is a fairly fast processor, but locked. You can undervolt and reduce temps significantly, and Speedshift works really well, however.
    Sorry to be the bearer of (somewhat) bad news.
    J

Plur likes this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Open up the ThrottleStop FIVR window. A laptop with a 4th Gen CPU should show at least +2 in the Turbo Overclocking section and some will show +4 or +6 or Unlimited. On many of the 6th Gen Skylake CPUs, this box is going to show +0 which means it cannot be overclocked. The Overclock box below that will also be locked.

ThrottleStop left the multiplier adjusters partially unlocked just in case someone found a way to overclock one of these but so far, no luck. 31 is the max multi when 4 cores are active.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-6700HQ Mobile processor.html

In many apps, the 6700HQ is not going to be any faster than a 3+ year old 4700MQ. That's a long time with zero progress.

6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Nor any faster than my overclocked 6 yr old (nearly) 2920XM! Although probably not fair to compare top of the line CPU with mid range CPU, but still - 6 yrs! That's not a lot of progress!

Papusan and TomJGX like this.
  7. DmiTrah

DmiTrah Newbie

Reputations:
    How do I reset everything set up? It was even worse ...

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The best way to reset everything is to reboot and before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This forces ThrottleStop to reset everything you have previously saved.

9. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome, seems with this speed shift mode I have good working turbo on Windows 7 with i7-6700HQ.
    Question anyone tried to undervolt System Agent on Skylake? Last time even small modifications did blue screens on Brodwell CPU to me.

10. Vect

Vect Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello there, jsut to say that whereas throttle stop has been working flawlessly for me, the last release of it causes any game that switches resolution to go back into windows. I think this is because throttle stop wants to be somehow as the top window.