The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Bardys

Bardys Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I did not find it in the thread so I hope I am not asking redundant questions :)

I see Skylake is supported but is undervolting working, coz it does not have FIVR? Also is it fine to copy ThrottleStop.ini into new version directory or do I have to setup everything again?

2. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When setting up the new version, I would advise turning it off, deleting everything in the directory, then reboot and set it up again. That way, you are starting from scratch with any new settings. BTW, Skylake does have FIVR - I'm using it with my 6700HQ. An old version might cause FIVR not to show. Undervolting does work, but CPU and Cache have to be set to the same value or it doesn't take.

J

Bardys likes this.
  3. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It changes a flag in the embedded controller of the CPU/ motherboard. You can use RW Everything to change this flag too (but throttlestop automates this process)

In Skylake the Voltage Regulator (VR) is no longer fully integrated (FI) into the CPU.

However, thankfully (and I believe I was one of the first to discover this in this thread - it was a shock to Mr Unclewebb when I reported this), the external VR used in Skylake still uses the same memory addresses for its command and control. Throttlestop simply changes the "old" Haslake addresses and they continue to work.

However, there are some quirks around this probably due to different manufacturers using different voltage controllers. For example, on my HP 6500U:
    • VCCIN does nothing
    • Changing System Agent does nothing
    • Changing Analog I/O does nothing
    • Using Static Voltages (no matter how generous) immediately freezes the computer (no bluescreen nothing).

Bardys likes this.
  4. orbit88

orbit88 Newbie

Reputations:
    how much is the full version? i cant use TS anymore, beta expired

5. Crimeinal

Crimeinal Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm having an issue with the notification area icon - if I change the resolution (which I do when playing more demanding games) the Throttlestop icon duplicates itself. It's pretty annoying when there's 10-20 Throttlestop icons in there.

I've tried clearing the icon cache with no luck, but if I change the Windows 10 icon/text etc. scaling to 100% it fixes the problem, though I have to squint to see anything on my 13" laptop. I didn't have this problem with any previous version before 8.20.

[​IMG]

6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So I'm trying to make two profiles for my MSI GS73VR which uses an i7-6700HQ. I'm pretty much following a reddit guide to the letter to accomplish this. I think I finally did it but I changed a couple things on my own. For one, I'm leaving my laptop using the Windows High Performance profile, when he recommends using the Power saver profile . On power, I want throttlestop to use TS profile 2 and on battery I want it to use profile 4. Everything works as it should but now when I go to benchmark my battery saver profile, the multiplier is acting kind of strange. When I run Prime95, my multipliers will cap out at 9x. I'm 99% positive when I first set this up it was at 14x, which was the limit I had set. What's funny, is it will actually go up to 14x for normal tasks, just not with Prime95. I think it has something to do with Powersaver mode being actuated but I don't understand why Prime95 would trigger that. Any ideas what might be going on? I'm thinking perhaps I must have not had Powersaver checked in the past or something. Either that or I'm confused on how it actually works and what triggers it. FYI I'm using TS 8.20

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      394 KB
      Views:
  7. relobe

relobe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The freezing when using static voltage doesn't seem to be specific to Skylake, though. My wife's i5-5200U does the same, whereas my i7-6820HK accepts it. Maybe it's an issue with the U processors?

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @tb227 - Here is the official Intel definition.

Your laptop manufacturer might have accidentally put a power limit on the Intel GPU that is way too low. Your screenshot shows that the CPU is also using Clock Modulation throttling and the CPU is thermal throttling. These are all signs of a laptop that was not well designed. Try going into the TPL window, click on the Power Balance feature and set CPU to 0 and GPU to 31 and see if that makes any difference. Also check off Clock Modulation on the main screen and set that to 100.0%.

@Dashing_97 - The Windows High Performance profile is needed so the ThrottleStop Set Multiplier function can work correctly. Intel XTU ignores some of the changes that ThrottleStop makes. As soon as you start XTU, it might be making its own changes to the CPU power settings, etc. That is why I recommend not to use both programs at the same time. There is only one set of registers in your CPU. It doesn't make sense to have two different programs writing different information to the same registers. If your laptop shuts off, it is either over heating or your settings are not stable. Some people adjust various voltages and do not do any thorough testing to see if the new settings are reliable or not.

@illuzn - Were you playing with the new Speed Shift controls? Speed Shift and SpeedStep are two different things. Enabling Speed Shift might let your CPU drop down in MHz lower than it ever has before.

I have been telling people that for years. A slow CPU is an inefficient CPU and it might increase power consumption instead of decrease it.

Are you talking about the Disable Turbo option in ThrottleStop? This option changes a few registers in the CPU so you can disable Intel Turbo Boost.

@Crimeinal - I recently changed a line of code which might be causing your multiple icon problem. I will try to get that fixed up ASAP.

ThrottleStop is freeware, infinite beta software. The latest beta is in my sig.

@Derek712 - The Non Turbo Ratio has to be set to zero (0) if you want the ThrottleStop Set Multiplier and Power Saver features to work correctly. Your screenshot shows that the Non Turbo Ratio is locked to 26. If you locked this, don't lock it or lock it to 0. If your bios locked this, there is nothing that ThrottleStop can do about that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Crimeinal likes this.
  9. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, Unclewebb I was playing with the speedshift settings. Not sure what I did but the CPU dropped to ridiculously low levels where it was consuming more Watts at idle than at higher multipliers.

And yes - I agree with you there is absolutely a sweet spot (especially with these U class processors). Running the CPU at 100% even on idle does generate higher idle power consumption as well. That sweet spot for me seems to be around 30% - which equates to a 8x100 multiplier). Less than that actually increases idle power consumption because the package doesn't spend time in its sleep states.

10. DmiTrah

DmiTrah Newbie

Reputations:
    The Hello, how to do that would have always been at full capacity?Or always worked turbo?