The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. YanYang

YanYang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I should have realised what that option did earlier, now throttlestop is bae.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Here is an interesting comparison. Here is how my Core i3 looks when idle while using the Windows High Performance profile.

[​IMG]

Next up, I switched to the Balanced Profile.

[​IMG]

For the last test, I enabled Speed Shift.

[​IMG]

In all 3 examples, the Package power consumption is identical at 11.2 Watts. Core temperatures and the package temperature are also nearly identical. If anything, the screenshot with the CPU running at full speed shows a slightly lower core temperature which translates to the lowest actual power consumption. Not exactly a scientific comparison by any means but still, there is not a lot of difference as long as there is not a lot of crap running in the background on your computer. Fair comparisons are difficult these days when Microsoft secretly downloads gigabytes of data in the background as it gets ready for another update. While testing, Google Chrome decided it was a good time to do an update.

With Speed Shift enabled, it took a while to get a screenshot with the 8.00 multiplier across the board. Most of the time the multi was hunting around between 8 and 9. In the Balanced profile with Speed Shift disabled, it spent a lot more time stuck at 8.00. It took more load to get it to start moving up to full speed.

When testing, if Speed Shift is disabled, use the Windows High performance profile with the Minimum and Maximum processor state set to 100%.

If Speed Shift is enabled, the ThrottleStop Set Multiplier feature and the various Windows power profiles will be ignored. In this state, the CPU gets to decide what is best for performance vs power consumption.

Edit - A difference of half a volt and 2900 MHz made next to no difference. Who would have thunk it?

3. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Speedshift is disabled in the screenshots. High performance profile is being used.
    Here's a pic of the C-States while downclocked: http://puu.sh/rdQRX/d97a35009c.png

And here while on full clocks: http://puu.sh/rdQXa/0f7767397f.png

I don't have too much going on in the background. Steam is open, firefox is open with ~15 tabs, media player open

I have set 100% on both minimum and maximum while on AC now. Still unable to go under 1300Mhz
    I don't know anything about C-states or how to rectify the issue you have pointed out (I am a noob when it comes to this)

EDIT: You said there's another setting for speedshift for aggresssiveness. What is the default setting right now without the ability to change it?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  4. duzenko

duzenko Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I have a problem with IGP throttling
    Here's the screenshot
    [​IMG]
    Any idea why it's complaining about ring EDP and how I can workaround it?
    What puzzles me most is that I got both package temp and wattage safely below limit.
    CPU cores are limited to x15, cores and gpu undervolted.
    Short Turbo sees IGP clocked as high as 500+ MHz, but sustained is stuck at 300 with red ring EDP.
    Once I got it jittering between 300 and 450 but can't repeat that any more.
    I tried to increase current limit via the Intel Extreme Tuning app but it changed nothing.
    Gpuz shows IGP clock always 0, so I have to use AIDA64 for monitoring
    This is lenovo 700-11 with a skylake m5 (hd 515)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. barkarse

barkarse Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all!

Great work to @unclewebb and @Dufus for Throttle stop and limit reasons.
    I have been testing different settings and have found a few stable profiles. Have enjoyed TS for two separate laptops!

My y50-70 with the I7-4720HQ and 4600/960m seems to always have the 4600 hit temp limits, this can happen before i start a benchmark. I have see the GPU warning when simply hovering over a task-bar browser icon to "peak". And 2d tests on the 4600 can cause TDP throttle - seems very strange
    --- is there a setting I can change from throttle stop to limit this throttling?
    ---I have an unlocked bios - I have set back to defaults and I still get this behavior, are there settings to increase throttle limits?
    ---even while typing this post I saw red flashes on limit reasons that there was throttling with GPU power

also here are logs from Throttlestop:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uzfodznu5gbuja/2016-09-18.txt?dl=0
    and the logs from GPU-z (watching 4800):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kigetvdyfcdr5i1/GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt?dl=0

Picture of Throttlestop settings and limit reasons:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gevelvo4fojsgfd/GPUpower.png?dl=0

If anyone knows where the original Dufus thread is or tutorial is on limit reasons - id love to find/read it, been searching for a few weeks

Edit:
    Worked from -20mv to -75mv on the IntelGPU FIVR settings - still throws GPU power yellow/red warnings. I dont see the package power go over 47 - gpu'z shows igpu going up to 6 or 7 watts

edit2: uninstalled drivers, ran some tests without intel video drivers installed and everything was perfect... grr lenovo drivers getting uninstalled and testing will continue

6. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    THX for finally making this thread a sticky after almost 500 pages! :)

phila_delphia, ExMM, TomJGX and 6 others like this.
  7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Plur - Here are a couple of more screenshots to show what TS does on my desktop Skylake CPU. In both pictures, the CPU is fully loaded with the TS Bench running. In the first example, I am using the Windows High Performance power profile combined with the Set Multiplier feature. This allows me to run the CPU at any speed I choose regardless of load. It is locked at the 8 multiplier.

[​IMG]

In the second example, I am using the new Speed Shift feature to accomplish the same thing. By setting the Min and Max options both to 8, the CPU is also able to run steady at the 8 multiplier. The results are pretty much the same either way. Same VID voltage, core temps and package power. The core temp is a couple of degrees higher in the Speed Shift example but that is only because I allowed the test to run a little longer before getting a screenshot.

[​IMG]

With Speed Shift off, the Set Multiplier option gives me full control so I can run at any multiplier from 8 to 37 and it will be steady at that multiplier. I have the Non Turbo Ratio set to 0. I mentioned a while ago that there could be two different locations for the Non Turbo Ratio. ThrottleStop only has access to one of these settings so maybe the trouble you are having with your multi not being steady is because there is a second Non Turbo Ratio in the Memory Mapped I/O that is set to a different value. Not sure. It might be some other secret Win 10 setting. I am using Windows 7 for my tests.

The other setting I plan to add to ThrottleStop is adjustment of the:

0FFH is equivalent to 255 decimal so you will be able to adjust this from 0 to 255. Default value is 128. Not all Skylake CPUs support this feature.

@duzenko - Intel is not very clear what Other means for CPU Ring throttling.

I can only suggest a few things that may help but probably will not do anything. First of all, clear the Package Power Limits - Clamp option and try setting Package Power Long and Short both to 9. Have you tried changing the Power Balance to different values? I have done zero hands on testing with a Y series CPU so I am not going to be much help.

@barkarse - Even with an unlocked bios, I think your CPU is still going to be limited to 47 Watts. The unlocked bios might let you adjust this using ThrottleStop but I believe there are multiple settings that control TDP that ThrottleStop does not have access to.

I think that is what ThrottleStop reports as GPU POWER throttling. There is the package power limit that includes all the various sub sections of the processor package but there is also the individual CPU core power limit which is called PP0 (Primary Plane 0) and there is a separate GPU power limit which is called the PP1 limit. ThrottleStop lets you access PP0 but I never got around to adding PP1 adjustment. Not yet at least. It is possible that Lenovo set the PP1 power limit way too low so throttling happens very quickly. This register might also be locked by the bios. In the next few days I will try to play around with the PP1 register in my 4700MQ to see if I can duplicate your issues. By default, this register is not used in my Lenovo Y510P so it is set to zero.

Not sure if there ever was a separate Limit Reasons discussion. There should have been. The 3 registers that store this information in the processor are fully documented by Intel.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html

Volume 3 - Chapter 35 Model Specific Registers. MSR 690H, 6B0H and 6B1H are the ones that TS reports data from for Haswell.

I have only been waiting for 6 years. Wasn't sure what feature I was going to have to dream up next to finally get noticed! :D

Vasudev, ExMM, jack34 and 6 others like this.
  8. godfafa_kr

godfafa_kr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi I am very happy to use the new 8.2 throttlestop with the new "limit reasons" feature.
    I am using it on p775dm3 (6700k, gtx1080), and I am getting "EDP other" when OCing CPU even 0.1 clock from stock.
    There is no prema bios for it, but I've maxed all the power limit in TPL tab.
    Any idea what EDP other is, and how I can get rid of it?

9. someone4444

someone4444 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, first of all thank you for the program, it seems to include all the functionalities I could ever wish for.
    I´m working on a gigabyte p34 with windows 10 and throttlestop 8.2 and I would like to set up profiles in order to keep my CPU temperature below 85 degrees (approximately, so that it doesn´t heat up my GPU). Anyway, so I set up the profiles as adviced (secondary profile with disabled turbo) using the alarm and a DTS of 15. All is working correctly, except that the temperature (perhaps only the estimate) jumps when switching from a profile to another.
    So typically when it is in profile 1 (3.5ghz) it will estimate 90 degrees thus switching to profile 2 (2.6ghz). At which point it will immediately estimate 80 degrees (which seems odd), thus switching back to profile 1, ect. So it will ask the processor to change its frequency every second or so. So first of all I was wondering if this is normal, if it is dangerous for my processor to be changing its frequency on such a short time laps and if there could be a way to smooth the estimated temperature? When I read the temperature on another program it is more stable, so I´m guessing that that other program (gigabytes smart dashboard) smoothed the values.

10. duzenko

duzenko Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    I have played with it a little today
    Here's my conclusion - the red edp other must mean that most energy is used by L3 cache and memory controller
    If I set cache ratio to 15 or lower it stays yellow
    Right now my problem is that I can't make the chip consume more than 3W
    It just throttles no matter what value I set to power limit even though the package temp floats in comfortable 60s
    That applies to sustained load. Short bursts are often 5W.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016