The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - I'll rep when I get on my computer in a little...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Vasudev, ajc9988 and Papusan like this.
  3. YanYang

YanYang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question, is it possible to keep the automatic profile changing from AC to Battery and vice versa with the app closed?

Or a way to keep throttlestop running in the background with only a notification icon, and have it out of the taskbar?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You you can easily add ThrottleStop to the Task Scheduler and use a key command for what you want on the fly. See the link for a setup guide or you will find it in the latest part of the thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-288#post-9987036

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    YanYang likes this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    On the main ThrottleStop screen, make sure the Task Bar option is not checked. ThrottleStop is very efficient when minimized to the Notification Area / System Tray. If you have any problems, read the included ReadMe file and clean the Windows icon cache if you need to. This is explained near the bottom of that file.

YanYang, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. solo16

solo16 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb:

Thank you so much for such great app, it's really awesome!!!

I've tried the Speed Shift feature and according to the HWinfo it's enabled @autonomous mode, so far with very brief testing the battery life has no negative nor positive impact.

I also realized that once it is turned on the windows power option for setting Max State will be ignored I assume it is as intended.

Just out of curious how did you manage to enable the SS while the BIOS has no such function :p

FYI, am on Dell XPS 15 9550, CPU undervolted to -160mv, Cache -160mv, iGPU -125mv, running rock solid stable and cool!!!

Once again Thank you so much!!!

7. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    8.20 findings on my system (In signature)

- I am able to downclock to 13x now whereas 16x was the minimum it would go. However it does not stick at 1300Mhz, it jumps between 1300Mhz and 1500Mhz
    - To disable speedshift a complete restart is necessary (May be by design?)
    - Speedshift can be used to set a max of 8x multiplier, though manual setting will not go to 800Mhz (Setting 1/1 for speedshift makes it go to 800Mhz) - Is this a bug with 6700K/desktop skylake or can TS be tweaked to go lower on these desktop chips? (I like to downclock a lot on battery when doing simple word processing)
    - When using speedshift my CPU will only clock up to 39x, not 40x no matter the stress it's under

If I can help at all with testing I will definitely help out.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @solo16 - Microsoft decided to market Speed Shift as some sort of Windows 10, latest and greatest version, only feature but that is not true. It is an Intel Skylake feature and Intel's public documentation shows how to enable Speed Shift no matter what operating system you are running. No bios support is needed either. All software has to do is write 1 to MSR 0x770. Now the Linux guys can check out Speed Shift too.
    Once enabled, it stays enabled and yes, the Windows power profiles will be ignored when Speed Shift is enabled. I have not tried this in Windows 10 v10586 yet so not sure what happens in that situation when Microsoft is also using Speed Shift. On my desktop Skylake, going into Stand By mode and then resuming disables Speed Shift. That's why I included the ThrottleStop option - Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts. If this is checked, Speed Shift will be enabled when TS starts or when you resume from stand by mode. Depending on the motherboard and what Microsoft is doing, you might be forced to reboot to disable Speed Shift.

@Plur - The lowest multiplier that the 6700K supports is 8 so 800 MHz is as low as it can go. A setting of 1 asks the processor to go as low as possible and that varies depending on the CPU. If your C States are enabled, it is not unusual for the reported multiplier to jump around when the CPU is lightly loaded. If you set a Min of 8 and a Max of 40, your CPU needs to be very idle before it is going to sit there at 8. The whole point of Speed Shift is for the CPU to almost instantly get back up to full speed when needed. The problem with the Windows Balanced power profile is that it sits at the 8 multiplier too long before getting up to speed. Some people like that but a slow CPU is inefficient so forcing it to 8 doesn't always save as much power as you think it should.

The Speed Shift register has another variable that should be able to offer some more control. It can be adjusted from 1 to 255 which varies the aggressiveness of Speed Shift. The Intel recommended default is 128. I will find some room and add this extra variable to ThrottleStop so you can play around with it. I left this out for initial testing because I could see users setting this too low, their CPU would get stuck at 8 and then they would blame ThrottleStop for making their laptop so sluggish. Writing software that makes everyone happy is a tough gig at times. :)

Setting this variable above 128 should allow your CPU to reach the maximum multiplier when stress testing. Thanks for the feedback. Send me a mesage in a week or two if you would like to test out this new feature.

9. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did see from the speedshift allowing it to go to 800Mhz, 8x would be the lowest. However when not using speedshift, whilst just using profiles it does not allow me to go to 8x. I can set it that low, sure; but it wont go below 1300Mhz - see here http://puu.sh/rdHyQ/681adae4c3.png

Setting it to 8x I see a minimum of 1400Mhz with clock jumps

Setting it to 13x I see a minimum of 1300Mhz with clock jumps

On the note of testing speedshift, I definitely will help you test.

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    In your screenshot is Speed Shift enabled or disabled? If Speed Shift is disabled, are you using the Windows Balanced or Windows High Performance power profile and what is the Minimum and Maximum processor states set to? What C States are being used? I have a desktop Skylake CPU that has no problem dropping down to the 8 multiplier while Speed Shift is enabled or while using the Balanced power profile. Your screenshot shows that you have a lot of background activity going on. An idle processor should not have one thread spending 11.2% of the time in the C0 state. I will post some pics in a little bit to show you some examples.