The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've been getting "TDP throttling" on my XPS 9550 sometimes, according to TS, and I"m not sure why. The wattage is shown as 8W or so when it's throttled. Happens during gaming.

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    IA: Package-Level RAPL/PBM PL2/PL3 and GT: Package-level RAPL/PBM PL1 were both triggered. Could this be caused by a PP0 limit incorrectly set in TS?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Mobius 1 - Here is how my 4700MQ looks when it is idle.

[​IMG]

When running a single thread of the TS Bench test, ThrottleStop is showing that the CPU is spending about 13.0% of its time in the C0 state. The bench itself contributes about 12.5% to that number and then the CPU needs to spend another 0.5% of its time in the C0 state to complete the various Windows background tasks. The screenshots you have posted so far show that your CPU is not very idle. If you have tasks running in the background keeping cores active, this can prevent your CPU from using the highest multiplier. If that is not the problem then I am not sure what is preventing your CPU from running faster. Are you using the Windows High Performance power profile with the Minimum processor state set to 100%?

@Eason - I have not played around with Skylake throttling reasons yet. What software are you using to report the info you posted. I know Limit Reasons by Dufus does not support Skylake. I might try to add some more info directly to ThrottleStop to help track down Skylake throttling reasons. On my 4th Gen laptop, PP0 Power Limit, Lock and Clamp are not checked and this register is set to zero because it is not being used.

duttyend and Mobius 1 like this.
  4. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Oh yes, I set the minimum processor state to be 0%

Should I use 100%? Maybe unpark cores too?

Trackpad driver also causing a bit of cpu load when used. Idk why.

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I was also having heavy CPU load issues because of a poorly written ELAN track pad driver. The driver I am using now in Windows 10 is not perfect but it is much better. Before, just resting a finger on the track pad, not moving it at all, was sending CPU usage on the first core straight up. That's a sign of a poorly written driver that is sampling the track pad WAY too much. CPU's run at billions of cycles per second. There is no need to sample the track pad tens or hundreds of millions of times per second. You can have a smooth track pad without doing that. I think some programmer was copying and pasting code since the 1990s. Junk like that kills battery run time. The ThrottleStop C State data is a great tool for tracking down junk software like that.

I would try using the High Performance profile with the Minimum set to 100% like it is supposed to be. This does not cause any problems unless your computer has too much junk running on it. Get rid of the junk.

I have not played with core parking in recent memory.

duttyend likes this.
  6. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    Does minimum 100% increase heat/tdp?

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Try it and find out. On my laptop it doesn't but that is because my cores are spending almost 99% of their time in C7 where they are running internally at 0 MHz and they are disconnected from the voltage rail getting 0 volts. That is how to improve temps and battery run time. Get rid of the junk software on your computer that is preventing your CPU from spending its idle time in C7.

Windows 10 can be a pig if you let it. Might want to try this tool. It is an easy way to disable some of the more annoying and useless Win10 baggage.

O&O ShutUp10
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

duttyend and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    I'll try 100%

9. TnF

TnF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello Unclewebb and thanks again for developing this program. I'm still on 1st gen i7 so I can't comment on the improvements you make I usually update every time it expires. I'm on Win 10, Throttlestop 8.10 (not sure which beta version), and I noticed after I updated my AMD graphics drivers from 16.4.1 to 16.4.2 that the throttlestop gpu temp icon in the taskbar has disappeared! I am running a 7970m btw. I tried playing with the settings and rebuild the iconcache but it won't come back. Probably AMD did something here, but I haven't back rolled to the previous version to confirm.

Another issue is present for a long time from version 7 at least, is sometimes when I disconnect from power cord and go to battery and then back to power cord, throttlestop crashes invisibly, no error box or nothing (I didn't bothered to check the event log though, I should). Note that I have a profile switch from battery to plugged in so that could be a hint. If you need me to do something please tell me. I think it has to do something with WIN10 since I know one more specific program that does the same thing, but that one sometimes does it when hdmi is connected/disconnected but gives an error box crash.

Kind regards

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @TnF - Are you using the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop? If yes, there is an option in there that can cause ThrottleStop to quit when switching to battery power. This was mentioned in the guide that was posted 2 pages ago. In the Task Scheduler entry for ThrottleStop, go to the Conditions tab and make sure, "Stop if the computer switches to battery power" is not checked. ThrottleStop also has a DC Exit Time setting in its Options window. Also make sure that is not checked.

ThrottleStop has always acquired GPU temperature data from the AMD or Nvidia driver. This has worked fine for a long time. It is possible that the method ThrottleStop uses is is not supported in the AMD driver that you are using. I do not presently have access to a computer with a recent AMD GPU so I will probably not be able to come up with a fix for this problem. Thanks for including the driver version number just in case I find some suitable hardware.

duttyend likes this.