The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The problem was Windows' 10 safety measures. This app requires more privileges than other apps it seems - this is why I had to modify local policies in gpedit.msc to be able to run this app.

Regarding being stuck at 0.78Ghz, this app rarely works in my case.
    I have i5 2410m CPU. BIOS has almost no options regarding CPU. SpeedStep cannot be turned off there.

Saying rarely I mean one time it forces CPU to be faster, another time it won't - regarding setting on\off SpeedStep, Clock Modulation or Chipset Clock Modulation.
    Multiplier never changes anything, same as changing button to Turn on from Turn off state.
    There is no way to force this CPU to change its state via this program with 100% accuracy - more time it just does randomly. Stubborn CPU :p
    It is laptop.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It sounds like you are randomly clicking on things without really understanding the problem or how you should set ThrottleStop up to try and solve it. Show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop while 1 Thread of the TS Bench test is running. I need to see what options you have checked off and I need to see your CPU stuck at 0.78 GHz. Make sure you are using the Windows High Performance profile with the Minimum processor state set to 100%.

Turning SpeedStep off is the last thing you should be doing. The Set Multiplier feature will not work correctly when SpeedStep is disabled.

duttyend and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    TS is still being exited every time I unplug AC. If I try to restart it immediately it doesn't open, but a few seconds later it will launch okay. Any way I can track why it's exiting?

(of course, exit on DC is 0)

4. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Eason: I'm glad you asked I was going to post this anyway. I assume that you are using task scheduler to automatically launch Throttlestop. Check out step 8 below.

Guide to automatically launching Throttlestop in Windows 10

1. Launch Start, search for "Task Scheduler" and run it.
    [​IMG]

2. Select your "Task Scheduler Library".
    [​IMG]

3. Create a Task
    [​IMG]

4. Name the task whatever you would like. Run it only when a user is logged on and Run it with highest privileges.
    [​IMG]

5. Create a new trigger.
    [​IMG]

6. The task should run at logon and the trigger should be enabled. I set it to automatically attempt to re-run every hour in case a crash causes it to exit accidentally (this is optional).
    [​IMG]

7. Set the task to run Throttlestop. You will need to find this on your computer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Make sure you completely disable "Stop if the computer ceases to be idle" and "Stop if the computer switches to AC power". Even though these options may be greyed out, it appears that they still affect the task.
    [​IMG]

Vasudev, toliyn, FrozenLord and 9 others like this.
  5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post. That was exactly the problem!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I couldn't believe it myself. I mean the options are greyed out which implies that they shouldn't affect it yet they do.

It may very well be a bug.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

Is there a tutorial on how to overclock the 4700MQ and how to control voltage (undervolt)? The laptop in question is an Alienware 18.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @illuzn - I posted a link to your guide in the first post in this thread, near the top, so hopefully others can find it. Thanks.

@Mobius 1 - For the 4700MQ, all of the important stuff can be found in the FIVR window. Unless you are running a modified bios with the early microcode, overclocking will be limited. My 4700MQ is running microcode 0x1C so the max multiplier when a single core is active is 36. There are a wide range of voltage adjustments available in the FIVR window. Post a screenshot of that if you need some help.

duttyend likes this.
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    With FIVR, core and cache is -80mv. But does not seem to respond to unvervolt when running AIDA64, undervolt work with throttlestop bench.

Multiplier all cores is set at 34, but single thread TS bench doesn't push it above 34. 8 thread bench stays at 34 multipler.

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    What do you mean by this? What kind of response are you looking for?

In the FIVR window if you have set all cores to 34 then you will not have access to the 36 multiplier. An overclocked 4700MQ should look like this so the CPU can use the 36 multiplier when a single core is active.

[​IMG]

You should see the multiplier approach 36 during a single thread TS Bench test. You also need to have the core C States enabled (at least C3).

[​IMG]

duttyend likes this.