The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just realize, when gaming on battery, the battery may not be designed to handle a massive 300w+ draw and may need to throttle the components.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. zamoeba

zamoeba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been at this for days.

I have a clevo with a 980m and 4720HQ.

Just about any time my GPU has any reasonable load, the CPU throttles itself (disables turbo?) and the EDP buttons flare red despite humble temperatures, even if I'm barely using the CPU. I have tried raising amp limit in bios, in throttlestop, I even bought a 330W power supply. And about every other bios and throttlestop setting that seems related to power management. I think Unclewebb somehow solved this issue on his laptop but can't quite figure out how.

Assuming no one has any ideas, does anyone know if there's a GPU equivalent of Dufus' powercut? Seems that throttling is a function of GPU so tricking the computer into believing GPU draw is lower might work.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @zamoeba - As always, can you post a screenshot of how you have ThrottleStop setup? Have you tried using the PowerCut feature in ThrottleStop?

There is a duplicate current limit in the CPU that ThrottleStop does not have access to. If this variable is not locked by the bios, you might be able to use RW Everything to change it. The throttling problem you have is different than the throttling problem in my Y510P. My Y510P disables Turbo Boost but it does not set off EDP in Limit Reasons.

4. zamoeba

zamoeba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's a screenshot of my current settings.
    Why does my CPU wattage increase when I lower VCCIN (no powercut)? Is it because it measures the relative voltage to the regulator so it perceives it as higher?
    Powercut seems to correctly obscure my CPU TDP but it doesn't seem to do anything other than that.
    If I run furmark, my cpu throttles to about 2.7ghz and voltage ID drops to about 0.8. And furmark is very weak on CPU usage.

If I undervolt my CPU by 50mv or so, then it throttles to 2.9ghz, however that's still a very noticeable throttle and I "feel" like there must be a better way.

I noticed a few other posters' GPU throttling their CPU but have not come across explicitly how they solved it.

[​IMG]

You have put a lot of effort and work into this. And continue to help people all this time. Not really thanking you (though there is that) I guess I just admire it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  5. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  6. 00riddler

00riddler Newbie

Reputations:
    At least on a Desktop I7-6700k setting the multiplier is working.

[​IMG]

ole!!! likes this.
  7. Jafaro

Jafaro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the program!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    unclewebb likes this.
  8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb when you do implement the left/right click in next beta, is it also possible to have more than 4 profiles lol. i find 4 isnt enough haha.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @unityole - I have to be honest, a few more profiles has been on my mind. I typically only use one profile but I will keep thinking about this idea.

Papusan and ole!!! like this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    IMO I think 2 -3 profiles is best. Too much and it gets messy with diff. settings to manage for each profile. Just my 2 cents. To each his own

I use one for high performance / benchmarking, 1 for gaming, and one for normal use / internet browsing

TomJGX likes this.