The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    here you go bro, no load, just Chrome running and idle....

ddd.png

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Sorry, I meant put some load on the CPU and check the multiplier then. When lightly loaded, the CPU will be spending its time bouncing around between various low power C States so the multi can also be bouncing around. Some load on the CPU usually results in a steadier multi reading in ThrottleStop.

The 100.00 MHz BCLK is looking better.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    ok a bit better now, I see core 3/4 dropped to 800 MHz.

What I'm gonna do next is re-enable C-States in the BIOS since I had them disabled then check

On a side note, the Cache Ratio is @ 20 / 2.0 GHz so is working right

aaaa.png

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That's not throttling. Post a screenshot of just ThrottleStop while under load. What HWiNFO reports for MHz can be a little misleading. In a Core i processor, at any instant in time, all active cores are locked to the exact same multiplier and frequency. You can have cores entering various C States but the active cores are always running the same multi. As well, all active cores are always using the exact same voltage.

[​IMG]

In this example, all of the C States are disabled so the multi is very steady at 20.00.

5. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think that's throttling... you aren't approaching any sort of conditions where throttling should occur.

For me set multiplier has never worked on a i7-6500U.

6. sluggz

sluggz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok that makes sense. I have the 6820hk

7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    ok here is a screenshot with your above settings, I can see the CPU still @ 4 GHz in task manager

I know ThrottleStop is for preventing CPU throttling.

What I am trying to do here is to force it to run @ 2.0 GHz to save power for when I am out in a cafe but maybe that isn't possible with the 6700K as you said.

1.png

8. illuzn

Reputations:
    Off topic: What! i7-6700K on a laptop holy dooly.

You may find that artificially setting the multiplier to 20 constantly on battery power actually dents your battery life.

The CPU is meant to throttle down under low loads - you will see that under idle some of your cores are already running at below 20 multiplier.

What I have found helps is disabling CPU turbo. Running in turbo costs me around 50% more power for a 20% increase in clock speeds. Obviously in the race to sleep stakes this is terrible.

Most of your power saving will come from c-states and allowing the CPU to throttle down (rather than sticking it at a constant 20x) e.g. I've got 8 apps open with 6 MS Edge tabs (including 1 playing a youtube 1080p video). My CPU is sipping a miserly 1.5-2W. At that burn rate its actually my screen and wifi which are eating up battery (and not CPU).

9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Not only a regular 6700K, but you can have it delidded for lower temps and can even opt for a binned Silicon Lottery 6700K for guaranteed 4.4 to 4.5 GHz overclocks on a laptop or even higher. In addition, G.Skill RAM of up to 2800 MHz on a laptop :D See:

EVOC P870DM-G Gaming Laptop

Secondly, I think I might just forget about forcing the CPU to run @ 2.0 GHz while on the Performance Plan and just use the Power Saving Plan in Windows which puts the CPU @ 800 MHz

Ill just use Throttle Stop to prevent throttling while the GPU is being used during gaming as that is what is triggering my throttling down from 4.4 GHz to 4.0 GHz when gaming

I have just increased the Turbo Power Max / Short Turbo Power max from 165W to 225W

10. illuzn

Reputations:
    Last off topic post: That's bloody amazing that a desktop CPU can now be squeezed into a form factor resembling a laptop.

I mean yes 4.8kg is not even approaching ultra book class but that was a fairly normal weight for most normal laptops even 5-6 years ago.

I'm guessing the compromise is battery life (which is why you are here). That 10W idle power consumption for CPU alone can't be conducive to decent battery life (not that its designed to be used primarily on the road) - especially with a dGPU and huge monitor also chewing up power.

If you are looking to get a little more portability out of it try these settings:
    - Disable CPU turbo on battery in your power plan (set the maximum processor state to 90-95 percent).
    - Let the CPU throttle itself down by enabling C-states and setting the minimum processor state to 5%.
    - See if you can completely disable the dGPU on battery - dGPUs are not exactly power sippers and my understanding is that, in any event, that the NVidia still sips quite a bit of vampire power even when fully disabled.
    - Undervolt your CPU. Skylake-U is very much undervoltable - not sure if this applies to Skylake-K processors but give it a go (in the FIVR window). Most people seem to have stable undervolts on Skylake-U in the -0.75 to -1.25 mV range. This is around 10% of the power consumption.