The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb,

Happy to test for you as well. Mine is reporting XX.XX multipliers as well - also the clock speed does not line up with that shown in task manager.

I actually though this was a function of skylake's new speed shift feature which basically removes the old software p-state system and replaces it with hardware speed shift built into the CPU. Now I know it's all marketing mumbo jumbo but reports from reputable sources seems to indicate that there should be finer granularity.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah I noticed that on my system with a 6700K, even if Throttle Stop is running, it still throttles when I run a FireStrike benchmark for example down from my overclocked 4.4 GHz on all cores to 4 GHz

It doesn't throttle in AIDA64 stress test, only when the GPU is also used like in Fire Strike

here are my settings:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Phoenix - Throttling and reporting the wrong multiplier might be two different things. The throttling might be power related. How many watts are your turbo power limits set to? Could also be current related or a power adapter that has reached its limit.

The ThrottleStop bug I was talking about is in your screenshot where you are seeing multipliers slightly less than 45.00 and the BCLK is slightly higher than 100.00. I will send you a link for the new version of TS that I am working on. Give that a try and see if the multi and BCLK are reported differently.

Edit - You have your Conversations turned off. Start a Conversation with me and I will send you the link.

Spartan likes this.
  4. Spartan

Reputations:
    oh sorry I thought that bug was the one I am experiencing with my system throttling.

For what it's worth, I have a single 980 GTX with a 6700K and dual 330W power adapters

Power limit 1, 2, 3, 4 in the BIOS are all set to 300000 and IA Current limit/Ring / sys current limit set to the max

Turbo Power Max and Short Turbo Power max = 160W

5. Spartan

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

BTW, why am I not able to set the clock speed to 2.0 GHz in the battery plan? it doesn't go below 40, I wanna set them all to 20

Although on the main screen under the battery profile, the Set multiplier is checked and set to 20

ggg.png

hhh.png

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The multiplier adjusters In the FIVR window only control the turbo ratio limits. The default multiplier for a 6700K is 40 so that is as low as those adjusters go. To control the multiplier at multipliers lower than this, you need to use the Set Multiplier feature. Try setting your Non Turbo Ratio to 0. The Non Turbo Ratio setting can block the functionality of the Set Multiplier feature.

Don't blame ThrottleStop. Intel designed their CPUs with multiple registers that all interact, trying to control the same thing. On the Skylake i3 I tested, the Set Multiplier worked fine once Non Turbo Ratio was at zero.

Is 160 Watts enough for a 6700K at 4.5 GHz? Try bumping those limits up to see if that helps with the throttling.

Someone that spams this thread with pictures is just the kind of person I need helping test out the new version. How can I get it to you?

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    I just sent you a PM bro......

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Finally noticed it. :) Link sent.

Spartan likes this.
  9. Spartan

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Tried setting the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 (it was 20 before), now even while on the high performance plan, the speed is fluctuating between 2.65 GHz and 3.9 GHz.....

I also tried checking/unchecking the LOCK checkbox but it's the same

I am not blaming you or Throttle Stop, just trying to see if I'm doing something wrong.

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    When testing, is there a load on the CPU? Something simple like the TS Bench is useful for this. I will go fire up my i3 and post some pics of what I get.