The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ajimijames

ajimijames Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to replaced my microcode 1c to 1 but now my lan is not working because the mac address is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. I think I messed something up during flashing. I'm using AFUWIN to flash my bios. Found out that I also lost my notebook serial number, uuid, etc. Restoring backup from old bios does not fix it. Notebook is a Asus G751JT with AMI bios. I tried some tools to put the serial number back (AMIDEDOS) but I have no idea how to fix the mac address and UUID. It was mention somewhere that I need to use FD44editor. But that doesnt want to read my bios file. Can you help? =/

2. hdneo

hdneo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it seems you replace something more. so find your bios recovery procedure. it may be like this:
    hold ctrl + home and power on the laptop with hooked usb 2 with the official rom from asus website renamed to g751jt.bin

3. ajimijames

ajimijames Newbie

Reputations:
    I have already done that. Still no lan.. I have reset cmos by removing battery and everything but still no lan. Tried flashing older version of bios, no go.

Is there anyone with the same G751JT laptop that would be kind enough to dump their bios and give it to me? Thanks.

4. jack34

jack34 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In effect, Intel has corrected the bug in the new revision with Crystal Well because it changes the CPUID and the version of microcode.
    [​IMG]

Bad luck for owners Crystal Well, great job anyway. Thank you very much for this great program.

I've done all steps in the readme file, also when enabling Power-Cut the CPU was idle...

5. DeXa

DeXa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is strange. On my i7-4600U I can run it with 37 multiplier. The standard is 33 1 core 30 2 cores, but if I want to I can set both cores to whatever I want in the range to 37. The only problem is that it needs more voltage.
    [​IMG]
    I prefer to run at stock undervolted so I can get better battery life.
    Without modifying the voltage it is stable with the following settings:
    1 Core Active - 36
    2 Cores Active - 34
    The other strange thing is that It cannot hit the short term TDP limit (25W) on stock multiplier (30). In order to get to that limit I must run it with multiplier 32 (both Cores). On single core it cannot hit 15W until 36 multiplier.
    Unfortunately the cooling on my laptop (Lenovo T440s) is not adequate enough, so with steady TDP > 23W it starts to overheat, PROCHOT starts doing its job to throttle the CPU and that renders PowerCut useless.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  6. EddyDj

EddyDj Newbie

Reputations:
    @hdneo powercut and other things in throttlestop with the microcode ver 01 doesn't work. I have modded and updated The bios with microcode ver 02 and powercut, ecc. work! You Can try it!

hdneo likes this.
  7. hdneo

hdneo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes,it works great. thanks a lot @unclewebb and @Dufus.

Attached Files:

alexhawker and EddyDj like this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Just got it working. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Have a look at the FIVR screenshot that @wiFFy posted for his 4500U.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-429#post-10213313

His CPU reports +0 for Turbo Overclocking. Your 4600U supports overclocking so the maximum multiplier can be increased by +4 bins. The 4500U is not overclockable. I do not know of any publicly available documentation from Intel that shows this but the info that ThrottleStop reads directly from the processor is usually correct. This is a good reason to buy the 4600U over the 4500U. The difference in price is probably next to nothing.

My Lenovo Y510P is also limited by the cooling system. Barely adequate cooling solutions seems to be the norm from many manufacturers.

@jack34 - Thanks for posting some more details. Haswell has a CPUID of 0x306C3 so it was developed a long time before Crystal Well.

10. DeXa

DeXa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, if you runt it like it is intended to be running there are no issues and it seems adequate. The problem comes if you try to push it above its limits. Do you know if there is a way to set voltages for multipliers above the standard? Because the max voltage the CPU sets is at 33, at 34,35,36,37 there is no change above it. I know I can set it static to some value, but I was thinking if there is a way do to it step by step?