The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    That would be sick man! Goes very well with the Eurocom Premamod BIOS! I have a strong feeling that they will approve the idea especially since it will carry their name like you posted in the image above. Afterall, they are one of few companies that offer enthusiasts these beasts of machines. Let us know how it goes, eagerly awaiting for this.

PS: Small suggestion although I don't know how feasible it is to implement. You see, I am one of those who were intimidated to use ThrottleStop, Mr. Fox logged in to my system and configured it for me so it ran well with my Skyflake 6700K, but without him, I wouldn't have had a clue. I saved the settings/INI profile and still, without it, I would be clueless.

Maybe, just maybe, if you want to offer Eurocom this TS version, that you can have some sort of preconfiguration that would make it easy for the end-user to select a clock speed(s) and bam they're ready to go. I don't know how feasible is this, just wishful thinking to one of the best utilities out there.

2. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I don't have Skylake and probably will not get KabyLake either, CannonLake maybe. Yes, having your own hardware makes things a lot easier but still the 6600K wouldn't tell you everything about a 6500U or if trying to multiplier unlock the CPU since it's already unlocked. Was hoping to help someone over at TI with unlocking but seems I can not login anymore.

At least we are all on the same page so good advice from you, I'm just going to chill out. :)

P.S. user @Plur was kind enough to submit a test and while no throttling seen for uncore / ring there was a little for core and that shows a change in MSR for SkyLake.

TomJGX and D2 Ultima like this.
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well, if I ever get something skylake I'll happily test what I could for you. But mobile hotwell works fine for TS, and I have no access to desktop enthusiast hotwell, or anything skylake.

Dufus likes this.
  4. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I could probably do a bit of basic testing if you really need it. Ask GTVEVO, I know he is overclocking with TS a lot. I have difficulty getting adaptive voltage to work on skylake. I cant keep my voltage lower then 1.25v for load on 4.4ghz. I know it will be stable at 1.2v since thats what I run with on XTU.

5. illuzn

illuzn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi @Dufus,

I didn't even know you were the developer of the complimentary software that comes with Throttlestop!

I'm happy to test anything you need. I have a i7-6500U @ 2.5Ghz

Dufus likes this.
  6. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shouldn't it be fairly simple? Just if a shortcut to throttlestop has a target line like "-profile:2" or something, it just does the switch inside throttlestop. It'd be pretty cool though, and appreciated. Otherwise, maybe you could make an "idle" function under AC/Battery profiles where a time for idle can be set and then which profile to use when idle.

Also, did you get around to do a battery test where the computer wasn't totally idling? I don't really know how to automate two similar tests where the laptop is being used. A low resolution movie, maybe? One that doesn't kick the CPU totally out of powersaving. If I idle on desktop, the CPU is typically in 80% C7 but if I use it a bit at same time it's a good mix of C6 and C7 (and the whine, ugh)...

My interrupt reponse is currently 10, as it was by default. I see yours were 12. What difference should some higher values theoretically make? and how can the powersaver c0% be used in this relation? Maybe the power saver option (which is only un-greyed when "multiplier" is checked) useless with these new CPUs? I think I read one of your old posts stating something along those lines, once.

EDIT: Seems like using the interrupt response at 1 is a better way if you want a quiet laptop. But it seems like the value is not always applied? Sometimes I have to move the slider around, press apply then back at 1 and press apply before c3/c6/c7 states are disabled? Like if I have profile one set to 1 and profile two set to 10, changing between them doesn't actually apply the different interrupt response values. I have to do it manually.

That explains why way back when I first tried this method it did eliminate the whine but it kept coming back despite being set to "1".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  7. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    Thanks for the offer illuzn but I've decided I'm going to wait until I have some hardware to test on myself. Should be able to test Powercut on Broadwell-U in a couple of months to see how well the TDP killing software works.

TomJGX and unclewebb like this.
  8. Boko_to

Boko_to Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb, firstly thanks for your great piece of software, been using TS 8 for a week now on my old SL 9600 (hp 2530p) - works like a charm - however i cant figure out one small thing - every time I disconnect my charger, TS closes right away and i have to re-open it manually - running on WIN 10 - is this how it is designed to work or maybe a WIN 10 hitch? never had any other version of TS before on my PC so i don't think it could be a version conflict or something. Also, upon system resume the EIST option is checked in the battery profile - i have to uncheck or toggle profiles and it gets back to normal Sorry if someone has already mentioned that before - I am new in town :)

P.S. Finally TS does not close anymore when i unplug the charger - the (likely) Solution: It definitely has something to do with the Power Saver settings - I just pushed back to Power Saver 50 % down from 80 and now TS is still running after i unplug...can.t say if this is the ultimate solution for all that have the same problem, but it worked for me...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  9. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I tried to use this app but without success. I gave up. Then I came back as I see 412 pages in thread so it has to be working somehow.

I have i5 2410m processor. Whatever I set up (example multiplier or speedstep) it does do nothing.
    I have serious problem with one game - it is demanding for CPU but processor resist to work fully.
    I enter the game, play one minute and CPU drops to mostly idle state 0.8 Ghz leaving me with 10 FPS in the game.

Temperature is not an issue as it is maximum 85*C - in Prime95 or other testers I was able to keep steady 2.3 Ghz at 90*C. Here is my thread if someone has any idea: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-lock-cpu-speed.787600/

Does this app even work for my processor?

10. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does C7 interrupt response only work on battery? Im not seeing any effect while plugged in.