The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NoNosBook

NoNosBook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank your for your message.
    I agree with you, without a bios mod it might be impossible to trick the sensor.

However, i do think there is a workaround.
    We know fore sure that the PL1 is trigered when the temperature reach 85-86 degrees and it will immediately lower the TDP drastically and bring down the temp almost instantly to 50-60 degrees.
    What if we could dynamically adjust the processor max frequency and stress test for 30 minutes so it will reach 83/84 degrees but never more. It might allow to be close to maximum TDP , surely not 25 W but maybe something like 21-22W.
    I ve tried adjusting the multipliers in throttlestop without any results (it simply stays at 34) and I do not have the option in XTU.
    No way to modify multipliers if it is not a K processor ?

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 8.00 Beta 6
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/of4xwj

December 29, 2015

New Features:
    - enabled overclocking and voltage control for 6th Gen Skylake CPUs.
    - added FIVR Faults and FIVR Efficiency adjustment for Haswell and Broadwell CPUs.

[​IMG]

I noticed when using Intel XTU that the FIVR Faults and FIVR Efficiency settings were not being restored correctly after resuming from stand by so I added these to ThrottleStop. When the FIVR Faults are disabled, you can enable them in ThrottleStop and then you will have to go through a Stand By / Resume cycle to reset the CPU or you can reboot. XTU forces you to reboot when doing this.

Edit - Here is a simple explanation from an AsRock Z87 manual.
    Full Skylake support is still a work in progress until I can afford a new Skylake system. Maybe next year.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    intruder16, Prema, ole!!! and 8 others like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    In the FIVR window, what is the Non Turbo Ratio set to? Is it locked? If it is not locked try setting that to 0 and make sure SpeedStep is enabled. Does that give you any control of the multipliers?

In the Turbo Power Limits, is your Package Power Long limit adjustable? If it is, try setting that a little lower to avoid the trigger temperature. You could also try using the PP0 Power Limit if the Package Power Limit is locked.

4. i_pk_pjers_i

i_pk_pjers_i Even the ppl who never frown eventually break down

Reputations:
    Hey,

Great work as always! Thanks for making such a great program. When is the beta 6 set to expire, btw?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  5. Plur

Plur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb

Firstly thanks for your continued development of TS. It's a brilliant program and I use it 24/7.

With Skylake support being a work in progress and you not having a system of your own to test on could the community help you in any way?
    I have a Skylake machine and would love to help if I can with my 6700K.

6. NoNosBook

Reputations:
    First of all thank you for your continuous support and the release of the new version.

I have been able to unlock and modify the multiplier and adjust TDP (it is not locked either).

But the results are very disappointing...
    If TDP is set 25W PL1 will kick in at 86 degrees
    If TDP is set 22W PL1 will kick in at 81 degrees
    If TDP is set 20W PL1 will kick in at 78 degrees
    If TDP is set 19W PL1 will kick in at 74 degrees

So it means that the sensor has been configured to kick PL1 with a ratio TDP/Temp. It is even worst...

Does that mean the only solution is a bios hack to reconfigure the sensor? and that is pretty clear it is not going to happen anytime soon.

7. vidumec

vidumec Newbie

Reputations:
    im using a laptop asus n551jm with i7 4710HQ. I have noticed a very interesting behaviour regarding PROCHOT, in my case Asus has limited it down to 85 C, but, occasionaly, on some reboots or wakeups it sets itself to 95 C. Simply rebooting doesnt usually do the trick, more often i have to go into BIOS and reboot from there, sometimes it works after booting when laptop was off for some time. Although none of the above actions are guaranteed to set PROCHOT to 95 C, i wish there was a more sophisticated method :)

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Since it's an external sensor, it has to report to the EC, which in turn is throttling the cpu.

Unlike Intel's embedded sensor, this thing should be out in the open and, once found, can be relocated to somewhere cooler. Look for two small wires joined at the end and attached with glue to a metallic part of the shell:

[​IMG]

That's a thermistor, ubiquitous in all kinds of temperature measurement. The cpu itself, too, has one, except in micro smd form factor. Anyway; find it, dislodge from surface and place somewhere cool. Could have it dangling in the air, perhaps. Or clip its wires and extend them in order to reroute it through the display hinge and attach it somewhere inside the display lid. That's probably the coolest part of the laptop.

9. NoNosBook

Reputations:

Hello and happy new year ! :)

I've watched all available videos (ifixit and others) about the complete teardown of the surface pro 4. Unfortunately, I cannot see a thermistor anywhere. Moreover, tearing this is a big mess and moving the sensor to somewhere else will be very complicated as everything is very packed.

I guess the only solution is to wait for bios hack to be able to tell the sensor not to kick in PL1.

10. NoNosBook

Reputations:

Hello and happy new year ! :)

I've watched all available videos (ifixit and others) about the complete teardown of the surface pro 4. Unfortunately, I cannot see a thermistor anywhere. Moreover, tearing this is a big mess and moving the sensor to somewhere else will be very complicated as everything is very packed.

I guess the only solution is to wait for bios hack to be able to tell the sensor not to kick in PL1.