The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just used XTU to show the chart of the erratical behavior. I have the same results with Throttlestop alone.

Also on the second screenshot I have XTU running alone without anything running on the background after a cold startup.

Thanks

2. vas

vas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    then most probably this is due to short/long turbo time limit.... check these settings. there are no other reasons observable from the pics you've posted

3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    1 - You appear to be thermal throttling. 95c should be the throttle point for that chip, and you definitely hit 95c max on core #2 according to throttlestop.
    2 - XTU has more throttle reasons. "TDP throttle" is one, as is "Current Limit throttle", and finally "Thermal throttle".
    3 - Limit Reasons built into TS8 beta 2 also works to show what the throttle reasons are.
    4 - From your screenshot I cannot tell, but your chip doesn't appear to be running beyond the TDP limit (and TDP throttle is not lit up) at the time, so I don't think it was TDP throttling.

4. timohour

Reputations:
    short/long turbo time as reported on XTU and ThrottleStop. I have changed these settings in the NVRAM using the UEFI variables. Default settings were 45W and +12,5% 56,250W respectively.

[​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT: readjusted to 100W/128W just in case. No difference...
    [​IMG]

1 - I can definetely say that this is not thermal throttling since with closed bottom lid, I have seen this chip going all the way up to 105 and then thermal throttling kicked in. ( I can reproduce if interested).I will test further though to see if there is something else that throttles the machine because of high temperatures...

[​IMG]
    i7-3740QM @ 3.8GHz 1024M TS Bench screenshot from XTU
    (Throttling shown in the end of the full load graph) This was @ 104C on core 2 if memory serves.

2 - ?

3/4 - I could see that this was a TDP Throttle before changing the long/short power limits in NVRAM. WIth prime 95 full load (55.6W load on CPU) + Furmark, The TDP Throttle circle was becoming black and GPU would throttle @ 650MHz and my CPU would have the same behaviour after some time...
    With the new NVRAM settings this is what I get

[​IMG]

after a little while TDP Throttle...

~56W Full Load Package power CPU only
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. suitslft

suitslft Newbie

Reputations:
    My sensor tab looks like this: http://puu.sh/jH1oM/3df7e283cb.png

I've poked around a bit and I don't see anything that shows me code when I mouse over it :confused:

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Intere
    sting...

it should say "perfcap reason" near the bottom. Hmm... not sure what to tell you then.

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The ThrottleStop screenshots you posted while testing with Furmark and Prime95 are all showing the full 38.00 multiplier. Can you post a screenshot of ThrottleStop while this throttling is happening?

Edit - I went back to your first post and saw the ThrottleStop screenshot at 26X. Your screenshots just above this post had Set Multiplier checked and BD PROCHOT was not checked so I just wanted to confirm if these 2 items made any difference.

The 3rd Gen CPUs are good until 105°C and ThrottleStop is not showing a check mark in the PROCHOT box so it is definitely not thermal throttling.

Unfortunately the Limit Reasons program that Dufus wrote only works on the 4th Gen and newer CPUs. This additional throttling information does not exist in the 3rd Gen CPUs so Limit Reasons cannot read this info from your CPU.

The Intel datasheet shows that the 3rd Gen 45 Watt mobile processors have a maximum short term limit of 72 Watts, a maximum long term limit of 60 watts and the maximum turbo time limit is 64 seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/KTpAZoX.png

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...d-gen-core-family-mobile-vol-1-datasheet.html

I know you have reprogrammed the power limits in the NVRAM but I have not ever done any testing of this. I don't know how a processor reacts when you go beyond the datasheet limits. In this case, the datasheet limits might be completely meaningless. You could try lowering the time limit to 64 seconds to see if that makes any difference.

Is your power adapter near its limit or is it maybe overheating? The square wave in the XTU graph on the previous page was almost too perfect. When the CPU is the cause of the throttling, the MHz tend to vary randomly.

8. suitslft

suitslft Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright, if I find a way to get PerfCap to appear I'll report back, unless there is other software that would be able to get the needed information. Thanks for all your help so far!

9. timohour

Reputations:
    Set multiplier feature seems like it stops the huge waiting @×26 while it will bring the spiking ×38 - ×26 you can see on the first image.
    BDPROCHOT was suggested by Khenglish and other users as it may be the problem. The truth is that I didn't see any difference.

I can verify that, since I tested by setting the TCC Activation offset at 15 in the NVRAM... The result was PROCHOT signal @ 90C and ThrottleStop showing a checkmark there...

I knew about the 60W/72W mark but I don't think it is true since with an invalid adapter I could draw the full +76W TDP till I was temperature throttled...
    But in torture tests it mostly won't go over 58W even under huge load for CPU alone.

Tested with two Dell original adapters 130W and 90W both of them recognised with the right wattage in Bios. None of them showed any sign of overheating..

Speaking of which after a bios update gone rogue my E6430's motherboard is now bricked .. Hope I will find a cheap replacement..

The answer lies in there

10. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Dufus @unclewebb Sorry guys Dell called this morning to inform me that an earlier pick up was scheduled and if I was available. No excuse came to mind other than "I'm not done experimenting with the CPU" so I told them no problem^^'.

So I don't have the Alienware anymore and can't do more testing with the 4980HQ. Wish I could've given you more accurate data.

I'm back to my loyal 3610QM. I've had it for 3 years so I was thinking of doing a repasting of the CPU and GPU, what do you guys use ?