The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yep I already read your guide a few days ago, very informative thank you very much for writing it.

And yes I saw you or unclewebb repeat that several times in this thread, that it was the 47W and that nothing could be done about that, that's why I headed your advice and sent it back for refund.

About the freeze it could have been some other program, I honestly don't know, I forced-shutdown and restart and everything is fine now.

2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Well okay. P770ZM new laptop I assume? ;)

3. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am going to wait for the laptop that makes me say "Well, I'm glad I waited !". I have until January 2017 until I have to get a new laptop so I have time, and hope ^^. This time though I'll be checking every single thing about the laptop before buying it and I am sure I will find all the information I need here :D. Perhaps i'll build a desktop for 1000-1200 Euros and have my old laptop for mobility, in that price range If I understand correctly I can get the 980 and a decent i5 for Witcher 3 (It's absolutely too much for my poor 630M ^^).

D2 Ultima likes this.
  4. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    @Thurkar You can try the attached program to override your 47W limits if you wish and see if there are any other throttling schemes. It sets a 60W long term and 75W short term (28 seconds). Restart or sleep to reset back to original limits.

Attached Files:

• 60W.zip
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    D2 Ultima likes this.
  5. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell bios Restriction?

Set PP0 to 100 as advised, disabled BDPROCHOT as advised.

I saw no difference...

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Okay, I'll have to let Unclewebb and Dufus handle this then. I don't know as much as they do about dealing with these limits, sadly. I just absorb most of what they say and assimilate it like some kind of mutant information sponge =D.

alexhawker likes this.
  7. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    @D2 Ultima, looks like your on the ball to me.

Looking at Thurkar's dump both MSR and memory mapped settings are set for 47W long time with clamp feature set meaning the possibility dropping down to under base frequency under heavy loads. The attachment I posted for him should remove the clamp and lock to 60W if he wants to try it. However there's also the possibility of the firmware using additional throttling techniques if it can no longer use those registers. Will not know unless it's tried. That 1 1/2 minutes of high multi's looked to be due to power consumption being below 47W.

D2 Ultima likes this.
  8. suitslft

suitslft Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

I have a Lenovo Y40-70 with an i7-4510U. My GPU (AMD R9 M275x) has recently started to throttle itself while gaming, diving from 925/1000 MHz to 300/400 MHz. This occurs even at a GPU core temperature of 66 degrees Celsius.

I am not a particularly tech-savvy person myself, but I was wondering if ThrottleStop could help solve or alleviate my issue.

Thank you for your time.

9. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First, ensure that in power management you have "PCI Link management" set to "off". This will ensure your card will run full power. Then make sure you're set to whatever the "max performance" option is in the graphics control panel. Then run your game with GPU-Z in the background, and this will show you the reason your GPU is downclocking. The only way throttlestop could be of assistance is if your GPU is throttling due to TDP limit (not getting enough wattage) because your CPU is hogging it. IF this is the case, then TS could be used to limit your clocks so your CPU draw as much power and your GPU will be able to run at full clocks.

That said, it's probably something other than TDP limits ;) so go check with GPU-z and report back.

10. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,

Please find below the test after using the 60W zip you procurred :

http://imgur.com/HoVb8kV

(Spoiler : It didn't work :p Same everything)