The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
  2. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello and thanks for answering me,

I saw that one, all it says is "run the following" and I didn't understand it, however I just openned TS and after a few minutes of searching I see "Log file " just in front on me on the bottom left corner, so I feel very stupid, but I'm happy I found it ^^' According to other posts it saves the file in the TS directory so I'm going to game for 15-20 minutes and post the results.

3. ATG

ATG 2x4 Super Moderator

Reputations:
    TS log file and that dump file are different things. I believe @unclewebb asked you to run the Dumper and provide the data from the dump.txt. so he can take a look of the registers.

4. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh.. My.. God.. It's a .zip ... And all this time I overlooked it thinking it was a .txt ... Apologies !

Well I have some news, my computer just completely froze using TS with these settings :

http://imgur.com/nI5d8Y3

I'm going to just run the Dump without any other software and get the results back here.

Thanks a lot for helping me !

Edit : So concerning the Dump.exe, do I play for 15mn and then launch it or do I do it before and after ? I doesent launch anything it just creates a file.

5. TnF

TnF Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lately i'm having the same "issue"..once in a while when i startup windows throttlestop may stay unminimised. Most of the times though it starts minimised.

6. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hello, I would like to ask a question.

I own an IB Dell Latitude E6430 and I upgraded i7-3720QM. I have used UEFI variable to unleashed the unlocked multipliers (x38,x39,x40) and also set long power limit 100W and short power limit 128W.

[​IMG].

The problem is that after a short period of time (2-3 min) of 100% load no matter if I use ThrottleStop or not my CPU will throttle @ x26. And then again @ x38 full turbo and throttles again. This was clearly TDP Throttling (could see that in Throttlestop) before I set the power limits (100W/128W) but know it seems to be something else, like BIOS would throttle the CPU.

[​IMG]

It doesn't seem like a temperature throttle either. Any ideas???

Package power @ x26 is ~30W while @ x38 is ~ 56W when running prime95

I use an 130W Dell adapter. Using an non-Dell adapter would throttle my CPU @ x9 (being an invalid adapter) while with ThrottleStop I am not able to go to anything over x30 (even if I set x38-39-40-63).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  7. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb so I launched Dump.exe before and after playing (While the game was still running). It would not surprise me if that was not what you asked for, so if you need anything please tell me what.

It's the 4980HQ with 980M on the Alienware 17R2 2015 (240W PSU)

Here is the Dump.txt : http://pastebin.com/KBweAJSg

Edit : Did another test with the multiplier set at 40.

It held the 3900 MHz for about 2 minutes then : http://imgur.com/vKrJkYi,MTTl1hL#0

And this is right after exiting TW3 : http://imgur.com/vKrJkYi,MTTl1hL#1

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  8. timohour

timohour Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am starting to believe that we may have the same issue...
    Maybe BIOS throttles the CPU after a short period of time if you exceed the TDP limit, disregarding any change made on the TDP limits?

Could you run a torture test (prime95, linpack or TS Bench) that would trigger 100% load and check the powerpackage that ThrottleStop reports? Is it above the long power limit?

How long does it stay at maximum multiplier?

9. Thurkar

Thurkar Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Software : Prime95 | Torture Test : Blend | Lenght : 5 minutes

It held 39 for exactly 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Here is the copy of the log, start at : 18:58:22

http://pastebin.com/37Pjyw2K

I wouldn't know if we have the same problem, what I can tell you is that I haven't found a solution ^^.

On a side note, I contacted Dell to send it back and get the refund. And I am astonished. They were sorry that I wasn't pleased with the performance of the CPU, didn't try to persuade me to keep it, offered me a full refund AND to keep the pricey Alienware Backpack for free, it will be included in the refund. Now this Alienware has flaws, but the quality of Dell's customer service really is truly extraordinary.

So aside from that, I have it until Thursday 20, so if anyone wants to gather data or wants me to check anything with the 4980HQ, I'll try to help any way I can.

10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Why is your PP0 power limit set to 10? Can you try setting that to 100 and seeing if TS still throttles like that?

Also, try disabling BDPROCHOT and see if it works.
    Isn't that default settings except for voltage? That should not freeze anything.

@Thurkar you're being limited to 47W, which is standard HQ chip behaviour. Check my mobile i7 guide in my sig for more info