The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Septimus_DSX

Septimus_DSX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Damn...with a bit more juice, this baby will fly (or my laptop will explode, either way, exciting!). :(

Any workarounds unclewebb?

3.5GHz is just good enough for a suicide SuperPi 1M run.

Attached Files:

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Workarounds for what? Hardly anyone is running these at a BCLK over 167 MHz reliably let alone at 175 MHz.
    Your CPU is running as good as it gets.

Is this really an early Core i3-330M? I think CPU-Z calling it a Core i5 is a mistake. Your ES CPU is one generation before the retail CPUs so it might still have some bugs in it.

3. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tried opening it, it said Couldn't open WinRing0.dll :/
    even ran as admin, help?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Did you unzip all the files in the download to a folder so that ThrottleStop.exe is in the same folder as WinRing0.dll as well as the rest of the files?

Did you download from one of the links in my signature?

The WinRing0.dll that ThrottleStop uses can be finicky sometimes. I didn't write it so I'm not sure why. Some antivirus programs have also been known to block this driver since it gives software direct access to the registers within the CPU. I guess malicious software could take advantage of this so maybe that's why it gets blocked.

Are you in an Admin account or in a Limited Account?

5. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Im on admin acc, ran as admin, turned off "Antivirus Autoprotect" on Norton 360, and yea, i used links on ur signature, and they're in a folder, ffs i dunno why :/

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I dunno why either. I wish I did. ThrottleStop needs the WinRing0 library for it to work and for some unknown reason, on some computers, WinRing0 fails to open properly so ThrottleStop fails to open.

Have you tried rebooting? Do you have any other software on your computer that also uses WinRing0? What directory is the ThrottleStop folder located?

I downloaded from the above link, extracted the files into a folder on my desktop, double clicked on ThrottleStop.exe and it opens up immediately for me.

RealTemp 3.60 also uses the WinRing0 library.

Download Real Temp 3.60 | techPowerUp

Try downloading it to see if it runs on your computer. If it is blocked too then it might be nanny Norton that is blocking things.

7. Septimus_DSX

Reputations:
    No idea. How do I figure it out? I can post some pics of the chip. Damn I hope I did not get scammed.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Open up the ThrottleStop Turbo Ratio Limits... menu option. Right mouse click on an open part of ThrottleStop to find this menu and then post a picture of that.

I had another look at what you've posted so far and this CPU is probably an i5 but because it is an early ES, it does not seem to be equivalent to any retail mobile Core i5 that Intel has ever released.

Another test you can do is run a single thread of Prime95 and then use the Task Manager Set Affinity... function to lock Prime95 to a single thread of a single core. Take a screen shot of what ThrottleStop shows while this test is running.

A retail Core i5-430M has a maximum multiplier of 19 but CPU-Z is showing 20. Something doesn't add up.

9. Septimus_DSX

Reputations:
    O.k, here is the screen with P95 running and one shot of the Turbo limits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Septimus_DSX

Reputations:
    Affinity set to 1 core:

[​IMG]