The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GamerBR

GamerBR Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome app.
    Is there are any way to force SLFM even while not on idle? That's not mentioned on the thread and messing around with the options I didn't find a way to do that.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    GamerBR: Tell me a few more details about what you are trying to accomplish.

Using SLFM mode to slow down a CPU mostly makes it run slower and causes it to become inefficient so it ends up consuming more power.

At the moment, there is no way to fully force SLFM mode when the CPU is not idle. Setting the PowerSaver C0% to 99 and enabling Power Saver and SLFM mode might be adequate for what you are trying to accomplish. If not, explain things and I'll see what I can do. I've been thinking about adding more control for Core 2 CPUs but I haven't had any requests yet.

ajreynol: I don't have access to a Mac or any Mac C++ programming tools so I won't be creating a version for OSX.

Easirok: If you ever have a new CPU and want to know its default TDP/TDC settings; delete the ThrottleStop.ini file or temporarily hide it in a different directory. Reboot your computer and then run ThrottleStop and it will read the default TDP/TDC values from your CPU. Intel doesn't publicly document any of this stuff so I have no idea how to read the default values from a CPU directly.

I wish I knew more but I'm sure Intel thinks that I already know too much. :D

3. GamerBR

GamerBR Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was imagining it would help on saving power also, but if it doesn't, there is really no use to do what I was wanting :p

Is there any ETA on 2.90 version? Being able to launch program when changing profiles, AKA use SetFSB to change CPU clock, will help a lot.

4. Leopard2

Leopard2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i didn't exactly get this but you can overclock 740qm now with throttlestop i get it? Can someone plz clarify?

Thanks
    Leopard2

5. SAUCE

SAUCE ★ ★ ★

Reputations:
    unclewebb

Nice guide.+1

6. Leopard2

Leopard2 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BUMP on this!

7. lawtq

lawtq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    excellent program!

8. Septimus_DSX

Septimus_DSX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, looks like I'm very late to the party. :)

On my MSI-1656 ID1 (GX640), with an i5 430M ES, the option to adjust voltage is greyed out. I also tried to add Extreme=1 to the ini file and I don't see any options to unlock FID/VID. Can you please help me?

9. Sirhcz0r

Sirhcz0r Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Voltage can't be adjusted on Core i CPUs. If you have the .ini set to extreme, and when right clicking you don't have the option to unlock the FID, it could mean you have a locked ES CPU.

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    A Core i5-430M is not an Extreme CPU so using Extreme=1 won't do anything for that CPU. That option was only intended to be used on Core 2 Duo and Quad Extreme CPUs that weren't being recognized correctly.

Unfortunately, Intel redesigned the voltage request register in the Core i CPUs so the method that used to work on the Core 2 CPUs no longer works.

tpro likes this.