The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Scouty: You're welcome!

Linpack / IBT / LinX is a very demanding test for a Core 2 processor. What maximum core temperature does ThrottleStop report during testing? Most applications do not put nearly as big a load on a CPU as IBT does so for gaming, you will probably be OK with Chipset Clock Modulation at 100%. Your motherboard reducing performance by over 75% seems a little excessive to me.

I do not know why your motherboard manufacturer decided to use Chipset Clock Modulation throttling. They were probably trying to protect some under designed component on your motherboard. Their limit might be based on the voltage regulator temperature or power consumption.

Thousands of people have been using ThrottleStop every day now for over 3 years and there have been very, very few reports of damaged motherboards because of ThrottleStop. I didn't engineer your motherboard so ultimately, it is your responsibility if you decide to run ThrottleStop to take care of the problem you are having.

2. Scouty

Scouty Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for reply unclewebb

well.. using linpack(linx)/OCCT(PSU TEST 10minutes) or IBT .. max temp is 61ºC on core 0 and 1... I got a good cooler =) plus I added 3 fans on VRM/GPU

I think that the trottle is related to POWER comsumption , since its only drop when 1.32v is active ... with stock speed of my Q6600 (2.4ghz ) and 1.32v I got chipset drop.. but with 1.26v theres no drop
    but I need 1.32v to get stable at 2.8ghz.. with 1.32v I think that power comsuption go above 105w

Thank again , I´ll keep chipset mod 100% because I dont like random fps drop =)

ThrottleStop FTW :thumbsup:

ps. in HWinfo64 sensors theres AUX that reach 68ºC on IBT , and I noticed that chipset drops(without throttlestop) when that temp reach 65ºC ,maybe its coincidence, do u know what sensor are this?

3. JasperF

JasperF Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good Day,

Thanks for a great program. I am running Asus EP121 and your ThrottleStop is a definite asset. I have Windows 8 64 bit and I have a question.

I notice when I put the computer to sleep with ThrottleStop running, the computer fails to log back on properly. Instead it crashes and has to restart.

I then unchecked the the "Do not reset FID/VID on Exit" and exited ThrottleStop and then go to sleep and wake properly. Any way that I can leave this option checked abd still sleep properly?

Thank you,
    Jasper

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I don't own an Asus EP121 and I don't use Windows 8 so I don't think I will be able to come up with a solution for you. In theory, a CPU should be able to resume from Sleep without any issues no matter how you have ThrottleStop setup but I know that is not always the case. I have an old Core 2 laptop which also refuses to resume from stand by correctly about 25% of the time.

Can you post a screen shot of how you have ThrottleStop setup? Have you tried using different settings? If I see anything obvious, I will let you know but you might have to live with this bug. Maybe I will have to come up with a feature that temporarily suspends ThrottleStop when it senses that you are going into stand by mode and then ThrottleStop can get back to business after it figures out that you have resumed.

5. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have an EP121, I don't currently have windows 8 on it, but I did for about a month.

I"m sorry to say i didn't have any issues with TS when i put the computer to sleep and turned it back on, everything worked as intended, with no crashes, post a screen shot of the options you have throttlestop running with and i'll take a peak at them.

6. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't have an Asus EP121 do run Windows 8 and I have no issues with resuming from sleep with Throttlestop running. Usually, computers that have issues with resuming from sleep do so by themselves, regardless of additional software running, such as Throttlestop.

7. Marksman30k

Marksman30k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi Unclewebb, the newest Throttlestop doesn't work anymore with the Win 8 UEFI Secure boot since it cannot load the winring driver. I'm going to try and bypass the driver enforcement and report back.

confirmed, the winring.dll driver can't be loaded even with Admin ownership and disabled driver enforcement, must be something with the fact the drivers have to be signed with the bootloader.

This is really weird since Batterycare also uses winring0.dll with no issues, I initially thought there might be a conflict but TS5 still doesn't work with batterycare uninstalled.
    Whats even weirder is Realtemp works with no issues since this and TS are like siblings :s

I'm hoping there would be a workaround.

EDIT: false alarm, re-extracted TS, turns out driver enforcement was only disabled for 1 boot, everything is now back to normal

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Thanks for the update Marksman30k. You had me worried there for a second. :)

Someday the WinRing0 driver will expire or be permanently blocked and then RealTemp and ThrotleStop and many other useful utilities will be dead.
    Hopefully that doesn't happen until Windows 9.

9. Blair287

Blair287 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As soon as i restart my pc if i havnt set throttle stop to start when windows does, does it put my CPU setting back to stop, in other words are the setting permanent?

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Nothing ThrottleStop does is permanent. It does not modify your CPU and it does not write any values to the Windows registry. All of the settings it stores and uses are within the ThrottleStop.INI file so if you are ever having problems, just delete the INI file.

As long as your laptop bios correctly resets your CPU when it boots up; if you DO NOT run ThrottleStop, your CPU should boot up and be at its default speed and settings.

There are some laptops that do not correctly reset the maximum multiplier when using a Core 2 Extreme processor. If you have one of these, you might have to fully power down, including pulling the AC plug and removing the battery to force the CPU to reset to its default settings. I have not heard of this issue on any of the newer Core i motherboards but anything is possible. Not all bios writers follow the Intel guidelines for resetting the CPU when booting up or rebooting so any laptop with that problem will need to be fully powered down so the CPU can get back to its default settings.

ThrottleStop mostly just modifies how the bios and how Windows has set up the CPU. That is why I recommend that you only use it with the Windows High Performance profile so ThrottleStop can do its thing without Windows interfering with anything.