The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I would not touch IccMax. Set the core and cache IccMax to 255.75 so it does not cause throttling. You are playing around with so many different variables, all at the same time, that it is impossible to know what limit is in command of your CPU.

Keep things simple. If you want less CPU heat, open the TPL window and reduce the turbo power limits. Less power equals less heat. Check both Clamp options so your power limit requests are enforced. ThrottleStop gets another gold star for providing access to the Clamp feature. Intel XTU does not think being able to toggle Clamp is important.

2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb what are the chances of disable E cores with the 12th gen with TS? in anandtech's review showing they had to disable it in the bios, unsure if it can be done via software side.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thank you.
    So first unDisable Control:
    what numbers do you suggest to input? I see 2 options for long and short
    Sync MMIO - don't touch?
    Turbo time limit - any changes?
    And use LOCK after putting numbers?

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No chance. This has to be done by the BIOS before Windows boots up.

After Windows has started, you could use the Task Manager Processor Affinity tool to prevent individual tasks from using the E cores. Software like Process Lasso might make this task easier.

upload_2021-11-29_13-18-53.png

Here is how to turn my 10850K into a low power CPU with a 50W power limit. Both PL1 and PL2 are set to 50W.

upload_2021-11-29_13-23-24.png

My computer does not use the MMIO turbo power limits. They are already set to 0 by the BIOS. If your computer uses these limits then I would check the MMIO Lock box to prevent these limits from being used. Intel CPUs do not need multiple sets of power limits, all fighting over control of the CPU.

The turbo time limit does not matter when PL1 and PL2 are set to the same value. I always use 28 seconds because that was the value that Intel used on most of their CPUs for many years. Old habits are hard to break. The default value for a 10850K is actually 56 seconds. Does it make any difference if a CPU spends 28 seconds at the 50W PL2 power limit before switching to the 50W PL1 limit or if it spends 56 seconds at the PL2 power limit before switching to the 50W PL1 limit? When both power limits are the same, it makes no difference.

You only need to use the Lock option in the Power Limit Control section if some other software on your computer is changing the MSR power limits. The values at the top in the Turbo Power Limits section shows in real time what the MSR power limits are set to in the CPU. If this data consistently shows your requested PL1 and PL2 power limit values then there is no need to lock this register.

@ole!!! - Here is a good trick I learned recently. If you change the process affinity of explorer.exe, any task you start up after that will also be limited to that subset of cores and threads. When I start ThrottleStop after doing this, it can no longer read any data from the last 4 threads of the CPU because it gets the same affinity as I gave to explorer.exe

[​IMG]

You should be able to use this trick so when you start a game after doing this, it will be limited to only the P cores. Every new task / thread a game starts should also be limited to the P cores.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  5. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i'll give that a try, but it might be a window 10/11 thing. i am still on server 2012, which is win8.

6. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks - and I see "coming soon in this windows" TPK Window - when I tried to make it different for High performance and Battery mode profile.
    It is in work now?

>Here is how to turn my 10850K into a low power CPU >with a 50W power limit. Both PL1 and PL2 are set to >50W.

7. OmarEVG

OmarEVG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    I was using this feature to automatically lower my refresh rate when on battery :(

8. mikolaj612

mikolaj612 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    New XTU version came today.

With new features, like : "Decoupled core and cache voltage controls."

9. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Deleted.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  10. tnuhnivad

tnuhnivad Newbie

Reputations:
    I updated my ThrottleStop to the latest version and now I can't get my Lenovo x12 w/ an i7-1180G7 to idle in deeper sleep states. Previously at idle it would only be pulling .5-1 watt. Now I cant get it below 3-4 watts and thats using TPL limits clamped. Setting my TPL limits to 1-2 watts wont even let it idle its just causes massive stutters. I used to be able to leave my TPL 1 and TPL 2 at 15 watts for emulation and gaming and it would still idle .5-1 watts. Everything was working great and I was getting exceptional battery life until I updated to 9.4.2? It seems to be stuck in C7. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021