The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What I'm saying is this is new behaviour as of very recent - perhaps in a new version of Synapse because I've had this machine 2 years and modded it to get to at least C7 while just sitting on the desktop and it doesn't do that anymore.

EDIT: How about we go one deeper and see what the Synapse process is up to - why would it be blasting my registry trying to changed EnableDhcp to 1 every second?

upload_2021-11-22_19-8-26.png

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    New and improved!

I try to avoid any manufacturer's software. Window's Updates are enough of a gamble.

Do you really need any apps from Razer? My computers run fine without poorly written apps sucking up CPU cycles. Get rid of what you do not need and enjoy a smoother running computer.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Razer laptops fans won't even work without Synapse open ...

4. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I want to ask about right part - is there anything needs to be checked?
    Undemotions !?

[​IMG]

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Checking or unchecking the Demotion or Undemotion boxes makes very little difference to anything.

I like to clear the Demotion boxes and I check all of the Undemotion boxes.

upload_2021-11-23_11-7-50.png

This helps give me a steady 50X multiplier when idle.

You can go through them one by one or check and uncheck two or three of these options at a time. Press the Apply button each time and see if it makes any difference. I am always plugged in so a few milliwatts one way or the other does not make any difference to me.

6. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For desktop idling and of course some background tasks from manufacturers (for example RGB lights) - what is your opinion about good C0?!
    Around around 1-1,5 acceptable?

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    My opinion for idle C0% is as low as possible. If you need to run programs for fan control or if you need to use programs for RGB lighting, you get to decide how necessary and how important these programs are to you. Some computers have the fan going full speed trying to keep the CPU cool because of the bloatware running in the background.

I grew up in an era when computers had single core CPUs and ran at a blistering 7 MHz or less. That is why ThrottleStop is so efficient. Many programmers growing up with today's hardware do not know or care about writing efficient code. Why waste time coding when you know Intel and AMD will add a few more cores with each new generation. Perhaps the real purpose of Intel's new E - efficiency cores is so bloatware will have a place to run without interfering with the P - performance cores.

chumley, intruder16, 4W4K3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    just need approval of the Idea ;-) - making balance profile and medium turbo limits in FIVR will make CPU wattage usage go down and temperatures?

Didn't tried yet - reviews give idea that Balanced mode and Extreme mode settings do the same for (MSI) laptops. (for me they looks like mostly fan settings).
    So may be instead use hot OC CPU 85-98C in games and noise fast working fans anyway have a thermal limits, use this 35x?40x? medium (slowdown) CPU,
    which would be still enough in games!?
    And leave most of work for GPU?! (sure undervolted etc in MSI Afterburner) but as the Idea is it worth and proper direction from anybody experience?

PS. Dynamic Boost on or off - next switch option to reconsider. It takes Wattage->Temperature in one place(CPU-what is good!) but brings it to another (GPU) ;-(

9. Webbmaster

Webbmaster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    v2. Update
    did some tests and completely lost:
    Idea was take down wattage(->temp) from 11800 CPU and not give extra to GPU (and possibly not harm CPU) performance, +fans slower lower benefits.

So did with from OC 46x + IccMax 225 OC CPU --> 42x where IccMax 225, -->40x IccMax 105 and HWinfo show me NO difference in Wattage usage! During Cinebench23 = 76-88W.

And crazy inexplicable stuff for me - that Cinebench 23 shows that max results 13020 with 40x IccMax 105 settings.... for example and all others 200 less!?!
    At All settings 40-42-46x CPU throttled till 38x approx. When I choose battery 20-23x and etc then only I got 25W package and twice predictable slower in C23.

What is a golden middle!? What is better to use for games and Thermals Temps...

10. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not able to follow your thoughts 100%, but what you should do to get a decent foundation for your experiments:
    Run the system at stock settings, have a benchmark run on repeat and write down at which settings the system settles.
    You want to make sure that you get the following data points, preferably via a HWInfo64 log:
    - frequency it throttles down to
    - package power during the benchmark, once it has reached that stable frequency
    - temperature at that stable frequency
    - limiting flags during the benchmark

The reason for that is rather simple:
    If your device needs to throttle down to 3.8GHz to reach a "safe" temperature, you will not get anywhere by reducing the maximum frequency from 4.6GHz to 4.2GHz, as your device will need to throttle down further.

Once you have those data points, you can start experimenting with how to most efficiently reduce the temperature, as that is likely the reason for your throttling.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021