The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, I had to do a bios reset and forgot to disable the bios virtualization related settings. Obviously, voltage control in TS got locked. The thing is, even after disabling all virtualization features on the bios and windows, and deleting TS ini file, I still have voltage control locked. Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention that undervolting through my laptop's control center works fine.

Edit: Got voltage control back. Not really sure why, I suspect it came back when I switched from mshybrid to dgpu. Or maybe when I cycled through all my laptop's control center profiles to setup in each one my desired undervolt.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Here is a nasty trick to play on consumers. My friend GerKNG who is helping me with updating ThrottleStop for 12th Gen CPUs has bought two different motherboards from two different manufacturers and both of them are enabling BD PROCHOT. They are also both setting the lock bit to prevent BD PROCHOT from being disabled. Manufacturers will likely start doing this to laptops at some point.

More throttling on the horizon. Users will be forced to do some UEFI bios mods to get around this limitation.

upload_2021-11-18_12-7-28.png

3. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    C states enabled in BIOS, "restore plan defaults" greyed out - C states totally broken, don't get it?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I don't get it either. Not sure why "Restore plan defaults" would be greyed out.

Try running this command,
    Code:
    powercfg -qh >C:\power.txt
    This will create a file called power.txt and it will place it in your main C directory. There might be something hiding in your power plan that is not set correctly. Attach that file to your next post or copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com so I can have a look. I will compare the values in your power plan to what is supposed to be there.

I think last time I helped a user with a similar problem it was the idle promote threshold setting that was preventing the CPU from using any of the C states. Maybe I will get lucky again and find something hiding in your power plan info.
    Code:
        Power Setting GUID: 7b224883-b3cc-4d79-819f-8374152cbe7c  (Processor idle promote threshold)
          GUID Alias: IDLEPROMOTE
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: %
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x0000003c
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000028
    Some manufacturers seem to disable the C states deliberately. This trick prevents the CPU from using the maximum turbo multipliers. It is not a good idea to do this to a laptop.

5. amihail91

Reputations:
    https://pastebin.com/PDt1QU2u

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @amihail91
    The power plan you are using is not one of the default Windows power plans. Have you tried using ThrottleStop to switch to the High Performance power plan? Does the Restore plan defaults button work then? Do the C states work when using the High Performance power plan?

I am not sure who created the Ultimate Performance Quiet power plan you are using but that might be the problem. Do you remember where this power plan came from?

I will go do a comparison to see if anything is obviously not right.

Edit - I do not see anything obvious in your power plan that would prevent the C states from being used. I do not like the EPP values this power plan uses or the minimum processor state values but these settings should not make any difference to C states.

Can you post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the C States window fully open?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  7. amihail91

Reputations:
    High Performance reset to default

upload_2021-11-20_13-22-6.png

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I thought all of your C states were disabled. The core C states are working OK. Do the core C states work when using your Ultimate profile?

One possible reason your package C states are not being used is because there is too big of a load on the CPU. If your computer is spending 12.7% of its time in the C0 state then it is not even close to idle.

upload_2021-11-20_11-57-7.png

Have a look in the Task Manager at the details tab and find out what is running in the background. My cores can average 99% of their time in the core C7 state when my computer is idle. That allows the CPU package to idle down and enter some of the package C states.

upload_2021-11-20_11-53-16.png

Running a TS Bench 1 Thread test is only keeping one thread and one core busy. That is enough load to prevent the CPU package from using any of the package C states. One fully active core means the package is also fully active.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  9. amihail91

Reputations:
    There's likely some deeper issue that can only be solved by a reinstall here - that screenshot is "idle" with 0 programs open in the foreground ... won't go below C0 anymore.

EDIT: I notice that when killing all Razer Synapse services I can get down to C3 - this is new behaviour for this machine though and I've had it nearly 2 years.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Too much useless crap (Razer bloatware) running in the background will prevent the CPU from being able to use any of the package C states.

You have to keep a close eye on things. I am hyper sensitive to wasted CPU cycles. I keep a close eye on the C states data in ThrottleStop because I know it is the most accurate way to determine if something, somewhere is running in the background. My Windows install averages 99% in core C7 when I am idle at the desktop. If I shut down Chrome, it goes a tiny bit higher. Same with the C0 data on the main screen. That is typically 0.1% when idle or a hair less when Chrome is shut down. It is usually so low that I had to add another digit to the C0% data that ThrottleStop reports so now I can see when it goes below 0.1%.

upload_2021-11-22_9-55-16.png

OCD is a wonderful trait when you are hell bent on writing efficient software. :D

I would rather be poked in the eye with a pointed stick than have to reinstall Windows. Every time you install anything on your computer, you have to keep an eye on any changes in C state activity. If you know that you did not install anything recently and all of a sudden there is a significant change, right away you will know that something is going on and you can track it down. The Task Manager Details tab is always a good place to start.

Process Explorer from SysInternals is an even better tool for tracking down bad or useless stuff.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

O&O Shutup10 is also useful so you can help prevent Microsoft from sending your hard drive contents to Redmond.
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

FrozenLord and tilleroftheearth like this.