The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is great news because I was out of ideas.

Most recent laptops enable Speed Shift automatically. It is not going to hurt anything to have the Speed Shift box in the TPL window checked and it might cause problems like you were having if it is not checked. Checking this box helps ensure that the Speed Shift Min and Max values are being sent to the CPU.

When overclocking, I am not sure if Windows can handle Speed Shift Max correctly or consistently. I always check the TPL - Speed Shift box. That tells ThrottleStop to keep an eye on things.

It is OK if you want Windows to be in charge of Speed Shift EPP and not ThrottleStop. I recommend letting Windows handle EPP to avoid any fights over the EPP register. You can leave the Speed Shift EPP box on the main screen unchecked but I would still check the Speed Shift box in the TPL window.

Vasudev and Samot like this.
  2. Samot

Samot Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks unclewebb!

unclewebb likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I don't know if this is a BIOS bug or throttlestop bug, but when I adjust the voltage offset for GPU unslice in the BIOS, throttlestop does not pick up on it compared to core, cache, GPU, and uncore voltages, which it all picks up fine. Is the BIOS not properly setting the igpu unslice voltage, or is throttlestop not reading it correctly?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Raidriar - If you make any changes in the BIOS to voltages, etc., you will need to delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will ignore any BIOS changes and will use whatever settings were previously saved to the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file.

Do you have Intel XTU installed? Can we blame XTU? :)

I cannot remember testing this in recent memory. If my motherboard BIOS lets me adjust the iGPU Unslice offset voltage, I will see if I can prove if ThrottleStop is reading this correctly or not. It should be.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I always delete the ini before making BIOS voltage changes. I do not have XTU installed, as there is really no point since I have an unlocked BIOS. Razer BIOS is known to be buggy, so it would not surprise me if it looks like it is setting the igpu unslice voltage, but not actually doing it. I just found it weird this is the one value throttlestop doesn't detect.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Run HWiNFO after you boot up and double check the GT Slice and Unslice Voltage Offsets.

upload_2021-11-8_11-46-48.png

My Asus desktop motherboard BIOS only has a single entry for adjusting the CPU Graphics voltage.

upload_2021-11-8_11-51-24.png

The HWiNFO screenshot was taken with the BIOS set to -0.125 V. This BIOS option does work and it does reduce the iGPU voltage and power consumption but nothing shows up in HWiNFO or ThrottleStop for Voltage Offset. I also manually checked the register that contains the offset information and it was all zeros. There was nothing hiding in that register.

I ran a simple GPU-Z render test and watched the Kill-a-Watt meter for power consumption. This confirmed that the BIOS Graphics undervolt was working. On this desktop board, the BIOS CPU Graphics undervolt is separate from the iGPU undervolt that ThrottleStop lets you set. If I enter a GPU and iGPU Unslice undervolt into ThrottleStop, this undervolt seems to be applied in addition to any BIOS undervolt.

To make things more interesting, a -125 mV GPU undervolt in the BIOS is not the same as a -125 mV GPU / iGPU Unslice undervolt in ThrottleStop. Using ThrottleStop to undervolt the Intel GPU is more productive. It lowers the voltage and power consumption more compared to doing this in the BIOS.

For a final test, I used a separate tool to manually set a GPU / iGPU Unslice undervolt. I deleted the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and ran ThrottleStop. It had no problem detecting this undervolt. The values showed up in the FIVR monitoring table and HWiNFO was also reading both the Slice and Unslice GPU voltages correctly. They both get a gold star. You should be able to use either tool to see if your Razer BIOS is setting the Unslice voltage correctly.

If you use ThrottleStop to make any voltage changes, you will need to restart HWiNFO so it updates its Voltage Offset information. The ThrottleStop FIVR monitoring table updates the offset voltages automatically every second.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I can confirm HWinfo shows the same voltages as throttlestop, so I'm going with razer's BIOS being buggy and not applying the unslice voltage offset like its supposed to. Was hoping to use a software-free approach to undervolting, but oh well. Thanks for helping me sort this out!

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Samot

Reputations:
    Well, after a shutdown it stopped working. The way i "unlocked" it before doesn´t work, the only way now to get it right again is to check "disable and lock turbo power limits" on the FIVR window.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    That is why I always recommend checking that magic box.
    I seem to recall hiding some code in there for enthusiasts that like to overclock. :D

You can also check the MMIO Lock option in the TPL window. I think checking that box accomplishes the same thing as checking the Disable and Lock box.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Vasudev and Samot like this.
  10. Samot

Reputations:
    Yeah, the MMIO Lock option in the TPL window appeared enabled by itself after i checked "disable and lock turbo power limits".