The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. mikolaj612

mikolaj612 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MMIO is great, especially for people with laptops using Intel Dynamic Tuning (DPTF) - which is affecting performance, however on mine laptop it's used to control not only performance but also fan loudness.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not seeing AVX offset on 6700HQ. I think it supports only subset of models.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    AVX Offset only seems to be supported on the unlocked K series CPUs.

The 6700HQ has a locked maximum multiplier like my i5-7600 so no AVX Offset.

4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Before upgrading to TS 9.4, I deleted all the old TS folder I setup. Are there any other related files elsewhere on the system that should be deleted? For example, I don't remember where the RwDRv.sys was stored or any of those WinRing0 files might be.

Thanks.

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pressing - No worries. The WinRing0 and RwDrv.sys files are relics of ThrottleStop's past. Starting with ThrottleStop 9.0, you do not need any of those old driver files. All of the necessary drivers are contained in ThrottleStop.exe. When you run ThrottleStop for the first time, if it does not find a ThrottleStop.INI configuration file, it will create a new one. Those are the only two files you need.

If you see any of those old driver files, it would be best to delete them.

pressing likes this.
  6. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What would the WinRing0 drivers look like? WinRing0.sys?

BTW - TS 9.4 works fine on Dell XPS 9550 (6300HQ).

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Everything ThrottleStop related would have been in the previous ThrottleStop folder that you deleted. You can search your C drive for WinRing0 or RwDrv.sys

You will probably not find anything unless some other software on your computer is still using these drivers.

Papusan and pressing like this.
  8. Dwedit

Dwedit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I saw a story on Slashdot about Common File Dialogs (In a program running as Admin) being used as a starting point to run other programs as Admin. Since the Common File Dialog uses the full Explorer shell, you can right click to open directories in Explorer as Admin, launch powershell as Admin, change permissions, and do all sorts of things that aren't appropriate for a file picker.

In the story, there was an installer (running as Admin) that automatically started after plugging in a Razer mouse, it used a Common File Dialog (can run other programs as Admin) for picking what directory to install to, and was thus a local privilege escalation attack.

Anyway, back to Throttlestop.
    Throttlestop requires Admin to run so it can load its driver, and also happens to create a Common File Dialog when you click the "Log Folder" button (on the Options window). This can be an unexpected way to run programs as Admin on a computer with Throttlestop running.

pressing and dmanti like this.
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The Log Folder button in ThrottleStop only allows you to select folders. I am not sure how or if this feature could be used to run a .exe file.

Edit - This is definitely a security vulnerability and the feature above that one is even more dangerous.

This vulnerability means all versions of ThrottleStop should be deleted immediately. If anyone needs a safer version of ThrottleStop, let me know and I will release a version that has these dangerous features locked out.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  10. Dwedit

Dwedit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's an example, open the Folder picker, hold Shift and Right Click on "Desktop". You'll see commands "Open Command Window Here" (runs cmd) and "Open in New Process" (runs explorer). It's confusing, because some commands only appear while holding shift.

tilleroftheearth likes this.