The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. afrazier

afrazier Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips, that's good to know.

And yes, I had to disable the virtualization options in my BIOS to get TS working in Windows 11.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Che0063 likes this.
  2. DoorsO

DoorsO Newbie

Reputations:
    Not working after I updated to Windows 11 either. Unfortunate that WSL2 seems to be breaking throttlestop, as we use it for development and I can not go without it. WSL2 didn’t break throttlestop on 10 for me so something must’ve changed between 10 and 11.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Some of the developer versions of Windows 10 that automatically enabled WSL2 used to break ThrottleStop. I am not sure if that is an issue for Windows 11.

The next thing to try is disabling Virtualization in the BIOS.

4. DoorsO

DoorsO Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately disabling virtualization isn’t an option for me, as a substantial amount of the software that we use needs it

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I thought that might be a problem. You can try using Intel XTU. If ThrottleStop cannot access your voltages then I doubt XTU is going to work but it hardly ever hurts to try XTU.

6. DoorsO

DoorsO Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried XTU before on Windows 10, but it would bluescreen my laptop whenever it entered modern standby which was problematic. I ended up rolling back to Windows 10, and throttle stop went right back to working perfectly. Hopefully the public release of Windows 11 won’t have this problem as I very much would like to continue undervolting my work and personal laptops.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I think this is a new feature of Windows 11 that will not be going away. Running apps in a VM is wonderful for stability and reliability. This will be the selling point for the masses. Improved stability, no more BSOD, upgrade now.

The only problem is that it breaks apps that need to access the hardware directly like ThrottleStop does. Everything important in the FIVR window needs access to a single register in the CPU and that one register seems to be blocked.

Windows 10 has been rock solid as long as I am not trying to overclock my CPU to the moon. No plans to upgrade to Windows 11.

4W4K3 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've heard that having "nvidia GPU" checked is causing polling/waking of the GPU every 5 seconds that kills battery life. Has anyone experienced this?

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I think Nvidia has recently made a change to their driver. ThrottleStop used to be compatible with Optimus but now it is not. If Nvidia GPU is checked in ThrottleStop, this might keep the Nvidia GPU constantly awake which is bad for power consumption and heat.

I do not know what Nvidia driver first caused this problem. You will need to disable Nvidia GPU monitoring if this is causing a problem.

When not waking up the GPU, ThrottleStop will show GPU -- °C in the button on the main screen.

[​IMG]

Maybe this can be blamed on a Windows Update. This used to work great for years and years.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  10. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow! My GPU doesn't need that much monitoring! There is a 10 watt reduction in package power from unchecking the box. Thanks!

tilleroftheearth likes this.