The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    11900KF_TS.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe TGL-H doesn't use FIVR, but U and L absolutely does. Core voltage provided is 1.7V at all times.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Thanks @Prema for the pic. On my Asus desktop board, I have to enable SVID support in the BIOS. After that, CPU voltage control works in ThrottleStop. If you are using a fixed voltage set in the BIOS, ThrottleStop voltage control will probably not do anything.

Does Limit Reasons appear to work? I think I remembered to enable it this time. Try setting a low power limit and see if something lights up red.

Everything else looks good, especially considering I do not own an 11th Gen CPU.

If you run a TS Bench - 1 Thread test, is Windows smart enough to schedule it on one of your preferred cores? This does not work correctly on my 10850K. I assume it is a Windows bug.

I hope you typed that wrong. 1.7V is a lot of voltage for a CPU.

I have not seen any screenshots of an 11th Gen U or G7 CPU that shows anything for voltage readings or voltage adjustments in the ThrottleStop FIVR window. I know the 10th Gen U support voltage control. What CPU Generation are you talking about?

Prema and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is 11th gen. It must have an integrated voltage regulator to step down the 1.7V input.

Throttlestop doesn't have any ability to control the voltage. It is able to force x41 on all cores for longer than default on a 1165G7 if I run an older bios version.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    An input voltage of 1.7V makes sense. The CPU cores get a lot less than that.

That is the problem. The CPU might still use an integrated voltage regulator but Intel has blocked any access to it. This means that software no longer has any control of the CPU voltages. ThrottleStop will never work on 11th Gen U or G7 and Intel XTU does not support the low power CPUs so it will never work either.

Intel CPUs are not much fun when CPU voltage control is locked out.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  6. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello I undervolted my brother 6200U and was doing that for the first time, so sorry for perhaps stupid question.
    It seems that UV - 100 mV on core and cache went well, it decreased some Watts and generally the notebook is running at full speed. Than I searched for msr 0x150 and the others for fun and 0x150 is all zeros.
    Is it OK? Was UV done just on MMIO base?
    Also I have seen some pics of 8 Gen U cpu's running beyond 15W TDP but 6200U is not that case, it could draw 11W at 27 multi under load all day long. So my question is if I could force this cpu beyond the TDP somehow (simmilar to 8 gen) would the performance benefit from it, or is the performance limited just by max multiplier?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  7. berkkocaturk

berkkocaturk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand them disabling it but disabling the bios option for voltage control or voltage control support completely is terrible.

Also I have terrible UV with 10875H even -50mv worked for some time but gave a bsod -40 gave me a bsod too it is either I have a terrible silicon or cpu needs lots of volts to boost as high and not really designed well...

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The 27 multiplier is the maximum multiplier when a 6200U has 2 cores active.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-6200U Mobile processor.html

If the CPU is already running at full speed then that is all it can do. It does not make any sense to make the CPU consume more power if it is not going to run any faster.

This msr works differently compared to most other msrs. This one msr allows software to communicate with the voltage regulator. You can send hundreds of commands to the CPU and get lots of information from the CPU through this one register. There is a whole world of stuff hiding behind this one door. If you only do a read msr on this register, that only shows you the door. It does not show you everything that is hiding behind the door.

If Intel set the default VID voltage close to what the CPU actually needs then your CPU does not need to undervolt very much. My 4th Gen 4700MQ is the same. It is only stable at -40 mV or -50 mV.

On my desktop computer, the load line calibration value makes a big difference to how much I can undervolt and still be stable. When the IA loadline is set to 0.25 mOhm, I can hardly undervolt at all. I can only undervolt -10 mV when running an OCCT SSE stress test.

upload_2021-3-31_16-37-32.png

golovkin likes this.
  9. berkkocaturk

berkkocaturk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This could be that need to UV is eliminated.

Intel arranges the volts correctly and everyone gets chips that do not need undervolt but at the same time some people wrote 10875h can undervolt much over -100mv but some people like me can not get any undervolt.

Cpu uses a lot of power without undervolt which I wouldnt care but it is getting throttled.

My 10875h uses 100W on load and it is a 45W tdp that is ec limited when gpu is active so at 45W I can only get 3Ghz all core then why do I have a 4.3Ghz all core boost this is very scammy...

10. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you!

unclewebb likes this.