The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is what I heard but I was not sure if it was true or not.
    I thought someone at Intel was just trying to discourage me. :)

hfm and Diversion like this.
  2. berkkocaturk

berkkocaturk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is crazy you went to LM that cpu which runs at low power already. I do not like the 4 core approach on 11th gen intel the single core performance improvement is good but having less than 6 cores is not that ideal today. But also the 4 cores have improved so much and integrated graphics too. I think it is a thin and light portable laptop dream except that I am waiting for 6 or 8 cores to compare to the amd.

I think the 6 core and 8 core intel cpus will be defining since we are past 4 core era already. If they could really improve it will be a success. From 6th gen to 8th gen to 10th gen there were a lot of optimization and they added a lot of cores and tech into it but it just meant more aggressive throttling too.

Diversion likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's why I'm interested in seeing devices with i5-11400H to get two extra cores. Downside is less frequency. Also depends on what devices actually come out, as I suspect most will have a dGPU that I'm not going to use. Upside on that is using the entire heat management for the CPU, though with the dGPU cost tax. The Intel NUC 15m design (Schenker Vision 15 and ADATA XPG Xenia Xe) both peg the i7-1165G at 40W which is pretty nice. Be interesting to see what comes out later this year containing H45.

4. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Boredom gets the better of me.. I always like to push everything to it's limits :)

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  5. berkkocaturk

Reputations:
    I have plans about my 10875H too. If i could get a 280W charger from msi hopefully i will change thermal paste and imon slope mode it but since with 230W charger laptop already loses battery on AC and power throttle keeps it cold I can not do anything. Hopefully these will happen and I can mod the laptop to get better performance I think cpu could achieve cinebench R20 4500 ish scores without restrictions.

Diversion likes this.
  6. CitizenInsomniac

CitizenInsomniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, when the laptop is running on AC power the cTDP setting gets completely ignored. In my screenshot you can see that PL1 and PL2 in TS are set to 45W and 50W, so when the laptop is plugged in those are the power limits that get enforced. It's only when the laptop switches to DC power that the cTDP setting takes precedence.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    dmanti and Papusan like this.
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Link has been updated.

After 10+ years, I do not spend much time in the first post. Looks like a few links and pictures could use an update.

Eason, dmanti and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. berkkocaturk

Reputations:
    I was just checking the first post and the pictures are very old. I can send screenshots and benchmark because I already have a lot of them I can PM if you like.

dmanti and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Thanks for the offer. I updated a couple of pictures. My 10850K being fed lots of voltage and running fully loaded at 5300 MHz all core looks good. I also updated the picture of the Options window. As for the rest of the first post, it is overdue for a major rewrite. That is more work than I feel like doing today.

Does anyone have access to a new 11700K or 11900K? Can you post a few pics if you have one? Especially the FIVR window. It would be nice to see what the FIVR window looks like and what settings are still available on the new CPUs.

I kind of like my 10850K. No big hurry to upgrade to something that costs more and performs worse in multi-threaded tasks.

upload_2021-3-30_15-5-18.png

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.