The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. berkkocaturk

berkkocaturk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Krzyslaw

I have bought MSI GE75 with 10875H and was wondering your settings?

Thanks for your help :)

2. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I prefer to use Processor affinity in Task Manager. No need to reboot and you can test CPU threads/cores individually. Very useful for stress testing single core stability and avoiding Windows scheduler bouncing between cores.

3. BayonetworK

BayonetworK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am hoping someone can help me out, I have had some major issues the past two days. I had a couple BSOD's: WHEA_PROCESSOR_GENERIC_ERROR_SECTION, and then noticed in my event viewer issues like this "The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."
    I have been using throttlestop since I got this machine (i9 10980hk), and so far have undervolted 60.5mV on core and cache, disable and lock turbo power limits checked, v-max and TVB unchecked, and speedshift set to 0, thats all I have done in throttlestop, and everything was running smooth until today when I got 3 of those BSOD's, then checking event viewer have noticed those kernel-processor-power issues stemming back months, can anyone help me to understand what is happening? any help is greatly appreciated

4. berkkocaturk

berkkocaturk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just a guess.
    That BSOD error was what i was getting when i had a desktop that was overclocked and the voltage wasn't enough can you disable the undervolt to test or disable TS for a while to see it is from undervolt -60 is very low undervolt but it could happen.

BayonetworK likes this.
  5. BayonetworK

Reputations:
    thanks man, yes I have removed the undervolt, which I know is not a large value (65mV), and kept everything else the same and have not had that error since, and ran a ton of stress testing/benchmarks, so I guess that must have been it, but why would my processor have an issue with such a small undervolt, I have the i9 10980hk, which is flagship level, so that sucks right?

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What Windows power plan are you using; balanced, high performance or something else? Windows and ThrottleStop are fighting over control of your CPU. Try using High Performance. Maybe there will be less fighting and fewer complaints in the Event Viewer.

As for a BSOD with a mild undervolt, not much you can do about that. Intel has pushed their CPUs to the very edge of stability. I could overclock my Core 2 Duo E6400 almost 70%. Intel had a huge lead on AMD back then so they did not have to sell CPUs running on the edge of stability.

Times have changed. Now a 5% overclock for an Intel CPU is some sort of big deal. The 10th Gen HK are running on the very edge of stability. The voltage has to be high so they can run reliably at over 5000 MHz. The amount of undervolt headroom has been reduced to next to nothing. Sad times. Try setting your CPU core and cache offset voltages to -30 mV or -40 mV and test for stability. Intel's 14nm technology is long overdue for a replacement.

7. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Enjoy the future. All fight against each other...

"After all, the manufacturers are taking action against this connection in several places. In this way, more regulation options are also built in on the software side. The OEMs no longer rely solely on the power options provided by Windows; their own "Control Center" with more or less numerous and useful setting options are slowly becoming the standard"
    Sense or nonsense - ultra-thin housing with RTX 3080 as in the Schenker XMG Pro 15

How to make your laptop go faster for free

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Ashtrix and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  8. BayonetworK

Reputations:
    I actually have ultimate performance profile enabled, and always have, thats what is crazy about it, but thank you for your explaination, perhaps my processor, while being "flagship" simply does not have the headroom to undervolt? as soon as I removed the undervolt, everything seemed fine, so it must have been that. I have not tried an even lower undervolt yet, but will try that to see if that is stable.

9. chaugh

chaugh Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this a known bug on TS 9.3? My C0% on the main screen is stuck on 100 and dont budge. But I'm not doing anything intensive and the C10 breakdown shows some cores in C2 state.

Attached Files:

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I have done lots of testing on my 10th Gen desktop 10850K and I have never seen any C0% reporting issues. Here is an example of a mobile 10750H and everything looks OK.

upload_2021-3-10_10-13-20.png

Intel CPUs use shared monitoring timers. Some other monitoring software running on your computer might be interfering with ThrottleStop getting accurate C0 data from these timers. Try exiting any other monitoring software.

The timers used to calculate C0% are not officially documented by Intel so their functionality can change at any time without notice. ThrottleStop has been reporting extremely accurate C0 data since the first Core i was released in 2008 but that does not guarantee that it will continue to work correctly.

What antivirus or anti-malware program are you using? Are there any virtual machine options that might be blocking TS from accessing these timers? The Windows 10 Subsystem for Linux is known to cause issues with ThrottleStop. What version of Windows are you on? I am running Windows 10 20H2 19042.804.

I am never in a rush to get the latest updates so perhaps something has changed. Let me know if you get this figured out.

FrozenLord and Papusan like this.