The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ninjapants4

ninjapants4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm a noob here, so I apologize if I posted in the wrong spot! (If I did just let me know where to direct this.)
    I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with the i7-7700HQ processor. About a year ago I did everything on this post to battle the throttling of my computer.
    The supposed sweet-spot for undervolting my specific laptop was around -120mV, but I recently got curious if that was as low as I could go. I tried increasing (or decreasing, however you want to say it) the undervoltage value beyond -120mV, and I was quite shocked to learn that I could undervolt my pc to -250mV without any crashes or BSoDs!!!! Alas, I was not paying attention. I can adjust the undervoltage values in Throttlestop and apply them, but they don't seem to take affect.
    I would test a new value, apply the voltages, and do a full shutdown and reboot (not just a restart), but nothing seemed to happen. I'm using Throttlestop 8.20 (as shown below), and I have included screenshots so you can see my settings. I hope I'm just clueless, but might I have to uninstall and reinstall/upgrade? I couldn't figure out how to insert pictures (maybe its because my reputation is low?), so here's a link to them.
    https://imgur.com/a/XBWSosP

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You have basically hit the wall. Your CPU is capable of running faster but this is not possible unless you discover a magic trick to make it run cooler. Your voltage and other settings all look OK so not much more you can do. Have you replaced the thermal paste a few times trying to get it perfect?

Edit - Do not check the PP0 Power Limit box. There is no need to do this. Your CPU seems OK but on some older CPUs, this could cause a problem.

Try downloading a newer version of ThrottleStop.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-9-2-9.276365/

It appears that your laptop has disabled CPU voltage control. This is a common problem. Do a Google search for Plundervolt if you want to learn more. About a year ago, Intel decided to disable CPU voltage control to improve security. You will need to edit a couple of UEFI variables if you want to unlock this important feature. Here is some more info that explains the basic procedure that is necessary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fzv599/xps_7590_160_uefi_unlock_undervolting_and_remove/

Your screenshot shows you are using a Speed Shift EPP value of 192. If you are interested in performance, I would not set EPP higher than 80 or 84.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. ninjapants4

ninjapants4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help! On my AC / performance profile I have the Speed Shift EPP value set to zero, but on my battery profile I have it set to 192 because I'm not worried about performance, and I want to keep it from needlessly overclocking to save battery life. Is that a fallacy? Does Speed Shift EPP affect battery life?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Not sure. I mostly run my laptop plugged in so I have not done any hands on Speed Shift EPP testing. Use whatever works best for you. Just remember that a slow 800 MHz CPU might not actually be saving power because it will take 4 times as long to get a task done.

5. disp0sable

disp0sable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply Unclewebb ! I haven't changed the thermal paste since I got the computer (4-5 months ago) but I will on the 6 month mark. I've been an OCD tinker monster but I guess the party stops here. Thank you for all that you do!

6. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    He will not be able to sustain the frequency of 10875h without LM paste.
    I just manage to get the BCLK on this chip to 102.98 so one core boost is 5.25GHz and all core boost is 4.43GHz, instead 5.1 and 4.3. But hey this gave me around 127W during the TS bench and hit around 97C after cb20 with score of 4655, still tweaking RAM timings, so score might be a bit better, but anyway without any throttling as I have prochot set to 99C, but still need to mod the bottom case on my msi laptop to something like gt76 bottom case which with cooling pad should gave around 5-8C lower.

Also abou his UV, I suspect his UV will not be stable at higher frequencies unless he has some gold chip in bad cooled lap. Mine can take only- 40mV on cache, more and I have hangs and crashes.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    dmanti and seanwee like this.
  7. disp0sable

Reputations:
    I have thermal grizzly but I'll look into better pastes to see how far this beast can go. It handles higher frequencies with the undervolt but not for long with the thermal throttling the higher settings produce but once I get my hands on some awesome paste, I'll be able to test how stable/unstable. I use to have issues UV the cache and ran into a post on reddit that said

"Either not all 10875hs are the same or lots of misinformation.
    If you set the cache at - 80 you can set the core much much higher.
    Can't believe people think 10th gen can't UV well
    I'm currently at a - 195 core and - 80 cache. 100% stable"

That advice helped my device UV to where it is now.

8. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have TGK or TGC. I assume you have TGK?
    If yes than this is not the best paste for laptop. Better would be phobya nanogrease extreme or Alphacool Subzero both 16W/mK. Absolute best would be conductonaut 73W/mK or the LM from the thermalright I think 79W/mK.

I already said, more than 40 on cache and errors in TS on my 10875h, but -40mV on cache at all core 4.43GHz is decent and helpfull. Also depends on what you have set in vr acdc domain in bios. Core is different story as you can even set it to - 1000mV but on up to 7th or 8gen no gains from setting higher than cache from 8th gen refresh by setting core higher than cache you are basically removing overvoltage during avx loads as @Prema already said here.

General statemant is that 10th gen does not UV so good as older generations.

Papusan likes this.
  9. disp0sable

Reputations:
    It's TGC. I'll have to search through @Prema 's posts for more information and look into what the the vr ac/dc domain settings should be.
    Thanks for the advice on the paste ! I'll take a look at the 73W/mK conductonaut you suggested.

Edit:
    @Krzyslaw I started to do more research on the AVX and undervolting settings I have on my i7-10875. I see that there seems to be consensus of 1:1 or 2:1 for the core/cache numbers and I saw that anything over those ratios are allegedly ignored by the system..

You say your processor errors at -40, mine is currently at -95 and doesn't error in TS benchmarks. Is that because of a chip difference?

I also tried the 2:1, it scored well but thermal throttled more toward the end of the Cinebench / TS benchmarks but when I place my core back at -.245, there's no throttling but the high score remained. Would this show that systems still benefit from the increased -.245 even though the consensus is 1:1 or 2:1? Just making sure I understand this whole thing for the most optimal settings for my machine. Any help or additional info is appreciated !

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @disp0sable - The original 1:1 core cache ratio and the 2:1 core cache ratio have both proven to be myths. Set these two voltage to whatever gets you the best performance and the best temperatures while still being 100% stable. Cinebench R20 has proven to be a good test for this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/maxon-cinebench/

All CPUs are unique. Having to set the cache voltage to -40 mV to be stable sucks. Most 10th Gen mobile CPUs are stable at -75 mV. Some are stable at -100 mV. It is all luck of the draw.