The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Another day and another new TS feature. This one is aptly named, "Too Much Information". When you double click on the monitoring table, if you have a CPU with more than 8 threads, you will be able to keep a close eye on each and every one of your threads. No need to mess around with a scroll bar.

All 20 threads are mostly idle, looking for something to do. Idle temps are nice and low. :p

upload_2020-12-15_13-9-2.png

geopsaros, Papusan, Krzyslaw and 3 others like this.
  2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is useful to me as I game with a 2nd monitor that has MSi Afterburner, GPU-Z, Throttle Stop, etc all monitoring system info. I kind of hate overlays on my gaming screen so if I can monitor all threads/more info from the 2nd monitor it gives me warm fuzzies! Looking forward to the new version! And thank you!

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  3. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice, I will be able to monitor all my 16 threads in my laptop :D when you will finaly release new version of TS to the public.
    GREAT JOB

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    You are welcome.

The new window of info also works in Mini Mode. Lots of data per square inch.
    When you spread the Windows background tasks over 20 threads running at 5200 MHz, the time spent in the C0 state per thread is minimal.

upload_2020-12-15_15-40-35.png

I was thinking the same thing last night. Still one or two more minor features to go.
    There should be a fresh beta available in a day or two.

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Most recent computers do not use Clock Modulation throttling so I added an option to the Mod column in the monitoring data. When you click on the Mod table heading, it will display the ID of each thread. I was finding that when you have too many threads, they can be hard to keep track of which one is which. If one fails during a Prime95 stress test, I want to know the ID of the problem child.

In the first example, the ID column increases in steps of 2. That means that hyper threading is disabled.

upload_2020-12-17_13-32-52.png

In the second example, hyper threading is turned off for the first 5 cores so the ID initially increases by steps of 2. Hyper threading is enabled for the other 5 cores so after that, the ID increases in steps of 1.

upload_2020-12-17_13-34-7.png

The important part is that even if you have an odd ball number of threads like 15, the table will automatically size itself appropriately. I always get in trouble from @Papusan if I add a new feature and heaven forbid, it takes up an extra pixel or two. He does not like wasted CPU cycles or any excess fat on his monitoring apps.

One more feature to go.

Papusan, t456, joluke and 4 others like this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    A user sent me some Cinebench R20 tests. His 9750H appreciates that the core offset is set higher than the cache offset. I would go with -200 mV for the core.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a complaint. Every time I use Visual Studio, it locks itself to one thread of the second core. Always the same. Twenty threads to choose from but it prefers a single thread. Locking a task to one thread is so 1990s. Ironic that Microsoft's programmers do not have the smarts to let this task bounce around from core to core. Hello MS, it is 2020! CPUs have more than 1 or 2 cores.
    The pic also illustrates the new Min temperature option in TS.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  7. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since undervolting is disabled on Tigerlake processors, would you expect better performance from an undervolted icelake or a normal tigerlake? Maybe that would be about a wash? Given the same TDP/laptop of course, two XPS 13s in this case.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    unclewebb likes this.
  9. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    That's an underwhelming cb r20 score though. 9750h cpus should be in the 3100-3200 range

10. Tinynja

Tinynja Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have a Dell 5290 2-in-1 laptop with a i7-8650u, and I'm trying to get better performance out of this laptop. The main bottleneck with this laptop is that it is power limiting. Therefore, I am trying to find a way to circumvent the power limiting, but I am not sure where I should look.

Some random information:
    • Without ThrottleStop, PL2 for this laptop seems to be set from the factory at 44W, which is plenty.
    • Without ThrottleStop, PL1 for this laptop seems to be set from the factory between 12W and 18W depending on "something". When I run a long stress test, PL1 starts at 18W and gradually decreases to 12W.
    • With ThrottleStop, using only the "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" setting, PL1 seems to get changed to a constant 18W
    • Setting PL1 in the TPL screen doesn't seem to have any effect on PL1, meaning it stays at 18W even if I set it to 14W or 22W.
    • Setting PL2 in the TPL screen does have an effect on PL2, but only when setting it lower than 44W.
    • PL1 gets triggered a lot quicker when the laptop has already been stressed beforehand (e.g.: it might take 30 seconds for PL1 to kick in when I stress test after the laptop has been idling for a long time, but it might take only 1 second for PL1 to trigger when I re-run the stress test immediatly after the first run)
    • Setting PL2 to 19W makes PL1 trigger much later than when PL2 is set to its maximum 44W.
    • Disabling DPTF by following this guide doesn't seem to change the behavior of PL1 and PL2
    • Undervolting Core/Cache to about -50mV with ThrottleStop doesn't seem to change the behavior of PL1 and PL2
    I am thinking of modifying my laptop to better cool the VRMs, but I want to be more confident that this will fix my power limiting issue.

So my question is the following: Where should I look and what tests should I perform to find exactly what is causing PL1 to trigger? I want to figure out if it is time-based, current-based, thermal-based, etc. before modifying anything.

Thanks a lot in advance, and let me know if you need any further information!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020