The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Careful about using TS and XTU at the same time. They write to the same registers, and the combination is likely to result in confusion. Also, XTU can be "sticky". If you are not using it, be sure it is completely uninstalled. I favor TS, but I understand that there are those who prefer XTU for some indications.

2. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never told him to use XTU and TS at the same time and also never told him to use XTU. You didn't understand what I wrote.
    Enabling XTU Interface in BIOS is a different thing than using INTEL XTU SOFTWARE in windows.

Some manufacturers disable UV within the bios and you need to enable BIOS option like aformentioned option XTU Interface to be able to use UV even in TS. This is done to prevent pludervolt atacks, but you need to enable xtu interface in bios and you can UV, and your cpu will react to UV,

3. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry - none of my laptops had that switch in bios, so I misunderstood. Sounds like enabling that interface is necessary for either XTU or TS to function. Thanks for the clarification.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  4. october3

october3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had been using throttlestop quite effectively to limit my laptop max temp during long term gaming, without having to set max fans, using the feature to set lower turbo boost power levels.
    This together with a repaste has worked well. CPU is H10750 on omen 15 2020.

Just posting to share (if not already known) that HP have just recently opened up the 10th gen CPUs to be undervolted, so can now actually do the under-volts in throttlestop.
    (They have their own new app, omen gaming hub, which just has setting for core voltage offset, and no power controls)

And finally, just yesterday I was sitting at work bemoaning a new (old) work laptop with loud fans, checked the temps, too high for office work. Not possible to get at them for cleaning without a torqx screwdriver. Remembered your program, downloaded and set a quick -50mv undervolt. problem solved, temperature wayyyy down,this was zenon E-2176M

So thanks again ;)

unclewebb likes this.
  5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Always great to hear about an undervolting success story.

Kind of funny that a year ago, Plundervolt was discovered, everyone overreacted and changing the voltage was considered pure evil. A year later, manufacturers have learned that their laptops are miserable when locked to the default Intel voltage curve. Surprise, surprise. Anyone in this forum has known that for years.

Great to see that many MSI laptops have an option in the BIOS to enable CPU voltage control and great to see HP getting with the program too by releasing their own CPU voltage control tool. It does not allow you to adjust the CPU core and cache voltages individually but having a voltage control tool released by a major manufacturer is a big step in the right direction.

6. apeek

apeek Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm a long time Throttlestop user and currently own a core i5 7300HQ. I'm not exactly sure when or why, but I recently lost all control of FIVR functionality. The values are editable, but nothing sticks now. Corresponding settings in XTU and QuickCPU are similarly affected which is a relief because I much prefer Throttlestop. Honestly, I've never actually experienced throttling via FIVR channels, but I still don't like it. I'm hoping someone else can shed some light on this.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Have a look at the top middle of the FIVR window. Does it say FIVR Control - Locked

[​IMG]

Either a recent BIOS update or a Windows update is probably preventing CPU voltage control on your computer. This has been a common issue in 2020.

Sometimes you can install a previous BIOS version to restore voltage control or maybe go into your C:\Windows\System32 folder and try deleting this file.

mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

This update contains the microcode update file. It might have recently changed after a recent Windows update. Remember to make a backup copy of this file before deleting it.

Depending on the laptop, you might also be able to edit some UEFI variables to get things working again.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a data point: upgraded my spectre x360 with 8705G to the latest BIOS. The included microcode is the latest one according to Intel Github page and undervolt and overclock are still allowed. Nice to see HP not locking things up. Wish they also unlock TDP and add battery limit function.

unclewebb likes this.
  9. yprime

yprime Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First of all thank you unclewebb for this awesome program.

I have a tongfang laptop with i7-8750h. I have been using -140 on core and -135 on cache for about a year. After checking this thread I thought to further improve it. Now I'm doing -250 on core -120 on cache. Can I push more? Should I try -300 on core? Or should I try to push cache? Cache seems more fragile so I would prefer to push the core if I can.

I get 3099 on on r20 when I enforce 3.9ghz so there isn't a problem of performance loss.

4W4K3 likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    That is correct. The cache undervolt is always the limiting factor. With the 8750H, somewhere around -125 mV for the cache is typical.

You can try -300 mV or -500 mV or -1000 mV. It is all the same. You usually do not crash but there is nothing to be gained by setting the core too high. Going beyond approximately -225 mV makes zero difference to performance or temperatures. The excess request seems to be ignored.

If your 8750H can maintain 3.9 GHz for an entire Cinebench R20 run, that is maximum performance. There is no point in trying to find the perfect voltages if you are already running stable and fast.

You can always try going further but you are already getting about all there is to get out of that CPU.

That is a top 5 score at HWBot for the 8750H and only 7 points away from third place.
    https://hwbot.org/submission/4604950_t0bimaru_cinebench___r20_core_i7_8750h_3172_marks/

Run Cinebench at a higher Windows priority and maybe you can scrounge up a few more points so you can grab yourself a bronze medal. :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020