The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, but my problem is that the very thing that he does at the start of the video does not work for me. He checks "Speed Shift EPP" and changes it to zero and his CPU speed immediately increases. I actually want the opposite - I want my CPU speed to decrease. But in any event whether I set it to 0 or 128 or 255 or anything in between it makes absolutely no difference to my CPU speed. I googled "Speed Shift EPP not working" but can't find anyone with a similar issue.

Yes, I am trying to get it to use lower base clocks but it isn't doing anything! It is still running at maximum clock speed even at 255.

2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    So, asking people to read the documentation available is considered a smart-ass reply? :rolleyes:

@Mark Wraith, no doubt @unclewebb will be here along shortly to give his indispensable answers (again) to you too.

In the meantime, read and absorb what you can. Nobody can help with that.

Btw, random peoples' 'videos' are the least likely way to gain knowledge. Specific 'skills', maybe. Knowledge from a few minutes video that tells you what to think (if they even do that), Nah.

seanwee likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Follow steps here... http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1226#post-11049590

Your Cpu already show clock down. See your own picture.
    upload_2020-11-19_22-17-41.png

Let your Cpu run idle. Then post pict of TS window + FIVR window.

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Mark Wraith - To lower your maximum CPU speed open the FIVR window and reduce the Turbo Ratio Limits. If these are locked, open the TPL window and reduce the Speed Shift Max value. Set this to 40 and your CPU will max out at 4000 MHz.

Leave the Speed Shift EPP variable on the main screen at 80. That is a good compromise. If you want full speed all of the time then set this to 0.

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Uncle. That has immediately maxed my CPU at 4000 MHz as you said. I will see what difference that makes to temperature and fps while gaming and fiddle about with them a bit if still not quite perfect.

https://imgur.com/a/JmdKCjB

CPU (or some of it anyway) still hit 99 degrees while gaming even at 4000mhz! Does this screenshot suggest something more fundamental wrong with this laptop? Two of the cores are running 10 degrees hotter than the others!

7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Your CPU needs to be repasted to get the cores closer to each other (if possible).

The maximum temperatures will always be hit if you're pushing your system for so high or so long as to be beyond its cooling abilities.

seanwee and Papusan like this.
  8. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    Second point understood but that 99 degrees was after gaming for only 5-10 minutes on moderate settings in World of Warcraft (not the most demanding game!)

First point - I will get the manufacturer to repaste it rather than do it myself and risk warranty because I am quite incompetent with things like that.

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Today’s notebooks use shared heatsink. You probably see that the graphics card use almost all cooling capacity. Nothing left for the processor. Re-paste may fix it or you need swap out the heatsink with a new.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Mark Wraith - Many laptops from the major manufacturers have barely adequate cooling. Some people here immediately pull them apart and replace the thermal paste. If you depend on someone else doing this, you will never know if it was done properly or what paste they used.

Have you looked in the FIVR window to see if CPU voltage control is available? At the top middle it will probably say FIVR Control - Locked. If it does not say locked then using ThrottleStop to reduce your CPU voltages can help with your temperature issues.

[​IMG]

Intel has pushed their 14 nm technology too far. Modern gaming laptops with Intel CPUs tend to run at sky high temperatures.

tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.