The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Sil026

Sil026 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks will certainly try!

EDIT: i did what u said and put a frame limiter on CSGO unfortunately i still get rate frame drops. its more like a screen freeze than a frame drop tbh, really weird..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What hard drive do you have? Are you using an external hard drive connected to a USB port or just the internal hard drive?

Leave the ThrottleStop Log File option on while gaming. If you have a freeze, keep track of what time it happened at so you can go back in the log file when finished your game and see what the CPU and GPU were doing at that moment. Your problem is probably a hard drive or GPU problem and not a CPU problem.

3. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We love seeing a "15W ULV" U-series CPU run at 48.5W.

AndreaM, akg7091 and unclewebb like this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Totally not a rebadged Skylake CPU...

pressing likes this.
  5. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    Beginner looking for help.

I installed Throttlestop as my brand new gaming laptop (HP Omen 17", i7-10750h, GTX 2080) was running what I thought was a bit too hot (97 - 98 degrees continuously while gaming, I know max is 100 degrees but still).

I tried changing the maximum processor state in advanced power settings in Control Panel to 99% and then 80% but this made absolutely no difference whatsoever. I thought changing it even to 99% was supposed to disable Turbo Boost but it did nothing - CPU was still running at 4.3ghz continuously rather than 2.6ghz.

I then installed Throttlestop but I can't get it to work as I thought it would. If I click Disable Turbo then that works - CPU runs at 2.6ghz and although it still gets a bit hot - 82 degrees or so while gaming - it's not too bad. I do lose quite a lot of FPS so I rather not disable Turbo completely. I thought I could check "Speed Shift - EPP" and increase the number next to that to get CPU to run a little slower without disabling turbo completely. But even if I change the number to 255, the CPU still just runs at 4.3ghz continuously and while gaming the temperatures hit 97 - 98 degrees. Any ideas?

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Best idea? Read post#1. ;)

7. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    Which part of it in particular? Most of it is meaningless to me, I'm not very tech-minded.

https://imgur.com/a/I6gj3fL

Here are my Throttlestop settings and my Task Manager showing CPU still running at 4.3ghz

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Then this is where you begin. Read it, read it again, and read it again if necessary. Follow the steps provided and see if you can re-create what is possible.

If not, ask specific questions, then.

If the topic is really beyond your grasp (I highly doubt that!), then TS is not something you should be tampering with. :)

9. Mark Wraith

Mark Wraith Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't really understand why you think my question wasn't specific.

"Why does setting Speed Shift - EPP to 255 and turning it on not have any effect on my CPU speed?"

10. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Throttlestop is a powerful piece of software that OEMs and Intel will do everything in their power to keep users from being able to use it in future laptops. Problem is that Throttlestop is also an extremely complicated piece of software with little to no documentation regarding what each setting and button does. You will have to slog through the 6.02 x 10^23 posts existing in the multi-verse before you can say you are almost knowledgeable.

Don't feel bad. You aren't alone and you won't get a smart ass reply from me. Do yourself a favor and watch videos such as:

That will get you started. From there, start searching on specific questions - what does ICCIN do; do i need to undervolt the iGPU; etc.

Don't dive into Throttlestop head-first. There's more stuff under the hood than you may actually need for your purposes.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/31385-the-throttlestop-guide/#:~:text=Speed Shift – EPP operates with,at its lowest base clocks.

[​IMG]

etern4l and Papusan like this.