The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Something tells me we are headed towards cloud computing with thin clients we have not control other than turning the power on/off. Cloud gaming streaming services obviate the need for robust GPUs. If we can play Witcher 3 on an iPad via Geforce Experience, then who's to say we need computers more powerful than a chromebook.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The really stupid parts are (1) that's not what we want, and we're willing to spend lots of money on what we want; (2) it takes how many crappy tablet sales to equal one enthusiast desktop or laptop(?) and they're not willing to give us what we want in exchange for that money; and, (3) there are some people that are actually dumb enough to believe that it is a great idea.

ellalan, Papusan, Maleko48 and 2 others like this.
  3. masmouta

masmouta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb
    I have a lenovo y510p with a 4700mq and a slightly modified cooling system.
    I've been using throttlestop for a while, I untick BD prochot, set a non turbo ratio of 1 (non locked), undervolt of 50mv core, cache and gpu, and overclock to 3.4 GHZ all cores.
    I tried running benchmarks like TS bench and cinebench R15, and my temps rarely exceed 93c, by that time (after 28s) PL1 kicks in and the CPU is throttled to 3.2 GHZ.
    But when running cinebench R20, my CPU immediately throttles to 3.0 GHZ, this time it's not the PL1, but the the EDP current limit, which becomes red from the start and for the duration of the benchmark.
    I wonder if you could help me figure out why is that, and how can I fix it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  4. fanlessfan

fanlessfan Newbie

Reputations:
    unclewebb,

I wanted to thank you hugely for all of the stunning work you do on Throttlestop. Since my days of the mighty XPS 9550, when I was desperately trying to figure out how to tame those fans, stumbling over TS (and a great tool written by someone else to access the embedded controller of those fans), I have been using TS since then - always very successfully.

The latest success is of a nature which I barely cannot believe on my own, though the benchmarks seem to speak a clear story: I just purchased a Matebook X Pro 2020 with the i7-10510U CPU. That notebook is in reviews known to perform well below what it can, due to Huawei's doubtful cooling system leading the thing to thermal throttling quickly.

But TS helped on more time! Thanks to someone very smart in the reddit forums (u_Cat_Turbo), they found a way to write into the UEFI to unlock the locked voltages which Huawei closed with one of their BIOS "upgrades". Hence the path for TS was open, and here are the stunning results. I can only encourage anyone with an i-7 U CPU and the ability to unlock the voltages to try this too:

- CPU Core: -219.7 Volt
    - All other: -50.8 Volt
    - Turbo boost long set to 25 (was 18)
    - Turbo boost short disabled (put the time limit from 28 to 20 which in spite of disabling that did have an impact on the scores)

Results:
    - Geekbench from a poor 3140 to a whopping 4255 in multi-core (also a comparable strong increase in single-core)
    - Cinebench R20 from 1327 to 1698
    - Fans are even when plugged in not kicking in when doing normal work. And the cooldown speed is significantly faster.
    - Rock solid so far. Ran 12 hours in high and light loads.

I do get throttling still (of course P2 due to the 25W cap, and at times short spikes of thermal throttling), but I decided to stop optimizing and now start to have fun with my new machine :)

So with that: THANK YOU to you and all of the incredible magicians making us get what we paid for!

Thanks & stay safe & healthy,
    Thomas

Papusan, unclewebb, Maleko48 and 3 others like this.
  5. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    @fanlessfan, great post. But give something back to @unclewebb... post some screen snips for him! He can't get enough of the success stories they tell. :)

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. fanlessfan

fanlessfan Newbie

Reputations:
    With pleasure :) Three screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2020
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Papusan likes this.
  8. fanlessfan

fanlessfan Newbie

Reputations:
    Struggled a bit with embedding them. Are they visible now?

Mr. Fox and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You have to use a direct link to the image, not the web page hosting the image. You can usually right-click directly on the picture and choose "Open Image in New Tab" from the context menu and then use the direct link to the image that opens in a new page placed between the "IMG" code as shown in the box below. Like this:
    Code:
    [img]https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/8fb871-1604175077.png[/img]
    [img]https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/f3c321-1604175113.png[/img]
    [img]https://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/b87574-1604175145.png[/img]
    Which will produce this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    fanlessfan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You are welcome. It is always great to see a success story. When fully unlocked, the 10510U is a powerful 4 core CPU. It is definitely one of ThrottleStop's success stories. This is one of my fav screenshots but it looks like you got this one beat.

https://i.imgur.com/NQHgK5G.png

Most people will need to adjust their glasses when they see your humble 15W CPU peaking at over 56W. Congrats. The last guy started getting concerned that maybe he had gone too far. I do not think so. These are more like 45W H series CPUs that someone at Intel put in the wrong box.

Have you tried setting your long term turbo power limit higher than 25W? Did you enforce a 25W cap or does your laptop enforce 25W long term? I would definitely go higher to see what is possible.

Edit - I was able to see your three pictures.

By stopping at 25W, you might have left 300 Cinebench points on the table. I hope you can go further. It looks like you need to increase the PP0 Current Limit and the IccMax value. I like 256 but 100 is a nice compromise without going too crazy.
    Unfortunately the PP0 Current Limit is locked to 85 A in the Y510P. Hard to get by that limit without a modified BIOS. Have you tried using the PowerCut feature on your Y510P? That might be one way to get over this hurdle.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020