The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. OgUrecheK

OgUrecheK Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    unclewebb, why not reschedule ThrottleStop.sys of "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp" to "%WinDir%\System32\drivers\" and do not delete it when closing the program.

2. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    you can see here the Dell probably likes Boot Guard more, than some others vendors :)

Attached Files:

pressing, Aroc, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I do not understand your question. What problem are you trying to solve? I cannot find ThrottleStop.sys anywhere on my computer. Are you trying to add a new feature to ThrottleStop?

Why would I want to not delete something after the program is closed? I am confused. :confused: Help me out!

Papusan and tilleroftheearth like this.
  4. jhonnyot

jhonnyot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello! I've an Acer Predator Helios 300 with an i7-8750H and a GTX1060, both recently repasted with Kryonaut thermal paste.

I'm undervolting with a -150V offset, and that alone helped with heating issues, prior to repasting the units. I also use a cooling pad, since I had problems with throttling due to overheating in the past. ThrottleStop 9.2 registers idle CPU temperatures at about 70C and GPU at about 80C (I live in a very hot climate, so that's not surprising). While gaming, both peak at about 93C. However, TS also registers a PROCHOT 95°C red flag, as shown in the image below, even though none of the components seem to be that hot.

[​IMG]

I haven't found any indication of throttling even when this flag is active (it sometimes greys out for a while, then becomes red again if I start running a more resource-heavy application), but I'm also not very used to TS, since I've only been using it for a few days now.

Is this something I should be worried about? If so, is there anything I can do to further improve the heat dissipation?

5. OgUrecheK

OgUrecheK Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    At startup ThrottleStop.exe (ver 9.2) the folder "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Temp" is placed ThrottleStop.sys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is not a problem, but a suggestion.

When you close the program, this file is deleted.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @OgUrecheK - Now I understand. ThrottleStop.sys is a temporary file. It is part of the driver that ThrottleStop uses. I did not realize that ThrottleStop creates this file and deletes it after ThrottleStop closes. Thanks for telling me about this.

I think it is safer to delete it each time if it is not being used. I did not write this driver so I cannot change how it works.

Your screenshot shows your maximum CPU temperature was 95°C and the PROCHOT 95°C indicator is red so your CPU was definitely thermal throttling. Intel thermal throttling is very smooth. Many users do not really notice a little bit of throttling.

PROCHOT 95°C is an indicator. It turns red when your CPU does any thermal throttling. If your computer has cooled down and it is finished thermal throttling, you can click on this to reset it. That is how it goes from red back to gray. Clear it before you start gaming and then when you are finished, you can look at this and if it is red, you will know right away that your CPU was throttling.

Why did you set Speed Shift EPP to 150. Use a setting of 80 or 84 for more of a balanced profile. A setting of 150 can limit maximum performance. If that is what you are trying to do, I understand.

Your Acer Predator does not appear to have great cooling. Some users like to disassemble their laptops and replace the thermal paste. Sometimes the factory does not do a great job. Even if you live in a really hot climate, your idle temps seem really high.

Do you know that you can undervolt the core more than the cache? These two offset voltages do not have to be set equally. Set the cache to -125 mV and then you can increase the core offset to -200 mV and still be stable. Run Cinebench R20 to see if your performance improves as you adjust the core voltage more and more. Go in steps of -25 mV and run another test.

Have fun playing with ThrottleStop. There are lots of options. It takes a while to learn what all of them do. I forget about some of the features that I never use. There is lots of useful information in this forum so learn how to use the Search feature at the top right corner. If you cannot find an answer, just ask.

7. jhonnyot

jhonnyot Newbie

Reputations:
    Most of these settings were lifted from a post in the Acer forums from someone with the same specs as me, so I haven't really played with TS much.

Great! I'll try fiddling with it to see if I can get a better performance. Thank you!

unclewebb likes this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you want balls-to-the-wall performance set it to zero.

Be careful copying settings that other people use. A lot of the people that post stuff on the web shouldn't be allowed to. Not to say they are intentionally posting misleading or deceptive information like the mainstream news media, most just don't know what they are doing.

The good news is, even if you copy somebody else's messed-up settings nothing is permanent using ThrottleSop.

pressing, Maleko48, unclewebb and 3 others like this.
  9. 0xD6

0xD6 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, I'm having troubles with chaning the offset voltage on my Dell XPS 15 9570 (i5-8300h with microode 0xD6). I suspect i am victim of a BIOS update that disabled undervolting to mitigate the plundervolt exploit. I didn't know about this and updated my bios to 1.17.1 (latest version) and my CPU microcode reads 0xD6. I downgraded the BIOS to the latest version before the plundervolt "fixes" (1.15.0) and did the "reset BIOS to factory settings" trick, but still i am unable to change the offset voltage (greyed out in XTU, +0.0000 in TS). I suspect downgrading the BIOS didn't revert the microcode update. Am i right? Anyone with a Dell XPS 15 9570 that correctly undervolts can confirm their CPU microcode version? Is there any way for me to re-enable undervolting? Do i need to edit the EFI variables with the EFI USB stick method? Thanks in advance.

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. golovkin

golovkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As far as I know, the EFi variables are just hidden sections of Bios setup, which means you clearly can't change version of microcode update from here.
    There are many of tools to find version of your current microcode, try cpu - z.
    Does your current Bios shows you really 1.15.0?
    The Bios update utility's from vendors may not included just the bios image it may include ME image which downgrade can be restricted, so plenty of analyzing here.
    The Windows microcode file in system 32 folder could be problem here very well. It should be simple get over it.
    The only bright side of the pile of vendor s...t is that at least one can learn new things.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020