The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps we will one day, but not now. Arm has not matured enough to be a worthy replacement for higher performance x86 parts yet.

tilleroftheearth likes this.
  2. Filipoos

Filipoos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    9.2.2 beta here, any idea why when I switch between throttlestop profiles, with different power plans, I can't get any of of the profile switch to switch back to balanced? Ive customized my balanced power plan so I need that one as my main one. My ac throttlestop profile has balanced ticked and my battery one has power saver. If I unplug and plug again it stays at power saver power plan until laptop crashes for some reason. Thanks in advance.
    Might be a custom profile I can't recall if I removed the original balanced.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. Filipoos

Reputations:
    Also what is the custom power plan in the power plan drop section? [​IMG]

Sent from my ZTE A2020G Pro using Tapatalk

4. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hope someone skilled can get access to this by some mod I hope. and
    I just bought new beast lap with 10 gen and wanted to buy a new 11th gen ultrabook to replace my 8th gen one but this made me to think of buying some amd based lap after new year when they release new cpus.

5. Filipoos

Reputations:
    It isn't that brother I didnt have any dptf service running on my laptop until recently I installed it, problem was prior to that.. Any ideas?

Sent from my ZTE A2020G Pro using Tapatalk

6. alfafox

alfafox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello UnckleWebb:

Regarding the last WIndows 10 Update not allowing to Undervolt,(Posted in ROG Forum also), I have tried deleting the file mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll but the system does not allow me. Do you think of another option for returning back the Undervolting feature?

By the way, the TURBO RATIO LIMITS cannot be edited! Should this be related to the same new Windows 10 Update?

Regards,

AlexF

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Reflash to bios who allow undervolt.

Delete mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll the easy way... TakeOwnershipEx

Edit.
    Take ownership of a file or folder in Windows 10 using TakeOwnershipEx

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    joluke, Satanello, Normimb and 3 others like this.
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Just like the 10th Gen, the ability to undervolt an 11th Gen CPU will depend on whether a manufacturer leaves it locked or unlocked. I need some one on one time with some new 11th Gen hardware to figure out the details.

I have heard that single core performance is impressive with the new low power U series. Hopefully a manufacturer "accidentally" releases a BIOS version that leaves the power limits and voltage settings wide open. I was initially discouraged but now I am seeing the potential. No need to change teams quite yet.

This is a bonus feature. When Intel decided to lock CPU voltage control, the method they used also locked the turbo ratio limits. Hopefully you can find and install a previous BIOS version or take ownership of the mcupdate file and delete it or replace it. If the @Papusan method does not work, you can always follow my long and painful guide to do the deed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/reply?quote=10995640

4W4K3, Papusan, alfafox and 1 other person like this.
  9. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, maybe I was to fast regarding it. As for manufacturer, I hope for example MSI will leave it avalible like on the 10th gen. Locked on default but with few changes in the bios after using key combo UV is still possible.
    But as it comes to 10th gen 8 core cpu like mine 10875h the UV is very small around -40 on cache and -80 on core. If I put more TS bench start to throw errors.
    But even with this I was able to lower power consumption from around 106W to 94W under stress test with all cores at 4.3GHz. BTW after some work on the colling and bios tweaking I am not getting any thermal or Power limits at 4.3GHz. Thanks @seanwee for tips.

Also I have found something interesting within the bios settings, I have enabled one option called Easy overclocking that is rising Power limits and iccmax so there is more room to keep the high clocks and second finding on 10th gen bios is that by default speedstep and speedshift are enabled in bios but when you disable speedstep and leave speedshift enabled the cpu get some nice boost. For example with Both settings enabled I had only around 22400points in FS cpu score and around 9800 in combined but with speedstep disabled in bios and speedshift enabled I am getting around 23200 cpu score and around 11000 combined. Similar boost can also be found on Timespy. If someone could check this on 9th also and 10th gen it would be great.
    I suspect that the boost came from disabling speedstep but need confirmation, as I have also tweaked some other settings.

BR

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    cfe, Maleko48 and seanwee like this.
  10. alfafox

alfafox Newbie

Reputations:
    This is a bonus feature. When Intel decided to lock CPU voltage control, the method they used also locked the turbo ratio limits. Hopefully you can find and install a previous BIOS version or take ownership of the mcupdate file and delete it or replace it. If the @Papusan method does not work, you can always follow my long and painful guide to do the deed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/reply?quote=10995640[/QUOTE]

Thank you UnkleWebb!: I followed your "painful guide" and now my mcupdate file has the new configuration! But... still have the undervolting function blocked.

So, I tried installing the older BIOS (208 instead of 209) but during the process I got a message "Your BIOS is too old!" and it does not allow me to go back. I have been searching for solutions to this, but now I see this could be getting really more risky..., (changing BIOS battery and so on, see this procedure: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111436-GL502VSK-Bricked-BIOS-Update).

So, now I am stucked here and to be honest, I am thinking of waiting for another kind of solution for UNDERVOLTING and changing my TURBO RATIO LIMITS. It seems that now I should accept to use my ROG G750JX at the base speed of 2.4 GHz instead of 3.2 to 3.4 GHz which I have been using the last years with my beloved THROTTLESTOP :(

It is a pitty that MICROSOFT/INTEL blocked this feature with the Updates!!! I see this as a restriction to the freedom we all HAD as PC enthusiasts!!!
    (Sorry for my frustration).

Regards from Mexico,

AlexF

unclewebb and cfe like this.