The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. OgUrecheK

OgUrecheK Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In what other program can I view the value of the Speed Shift parameter?

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop correctly reports the Speed Shift EPP value that the CPU is using. Open the FIVR window and look at the bottom of the monitoring table for the Speed Shift EPP information.

I do not know if HWiNFO or any other monitoring program displays this information. If one program is reporting this correctly, you do not need 2 or 3 programs telling you the same thing.

3. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I can see it now....Big fancy graphs all over,maybe even a couple histograms could get thrown in there to!!
    Haha atleast they wouldn't say my cpu's throttling all the time cause the program would actually work..

Funny thing I just noticed in timespy...I been using it so much to test different throttlestop/GPU settings tryna get the best performance with the lowest temps....I guess i've hit a wall with the 10750h...I go to compare my timespy scores with others just to see where i'm at and I only see my username for like the top 30 spots..I think my best cpu score's 8080 and temps are staying low so imma quit while i'm ahead,I'm lucky I can even push this cpu at all haha guess that's why there's not much competition with 10th gen laptops..There's only a few you can actually undervolt and MSI left almost the whole overclocking package in for the GE66 though.

4. artic_squirrel

artic_squirrel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was told that the new thinkpad T15 (with intel cpus) can't be under volted. Lenovo refuses it and TS says FIV Control - Locked

5. cfe

cfe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep...been addressed several times in this thread.

Papusan and unclewebb like this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Just read about a double kick in the shins.

Acer released a BIOS update for their Predator Helios 300 that blocks CPU voltage control. We all know that is bad but before it does this, it sets the core and cache offset voltages to +51 mV. That is right. Instead of a factory undervolt to cool things down, some dummy at Acer thought adding extra voltage to a hot running CPU would be a good idea.

When a user boots up and discovers this in the FIVR window, they can see the over volt being applied in the FIVR monitoring table. The voltage control register is locked by the BIOS so there is no possible way to fix this mess. Engineering at its finest.

Satanello, t456, cfe and 5 others like this.
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    This is how the FIVR window looks when running ThrottleStop on an 11th Gen U series CPU.

[​IMG]

Does anyone see a problem here? Intel has decided to block access to the OC Mailbox that they have been using from the 4th Gen Haswell through the 10th Gen CPUs. To fix any possible Plundervolt issues, software can no longer read or write voltage or overclocking multiplier information to or from this register. :(

Does anyone care that the rest of ThrottleStop still seems to work OK? No voltage control equals no fun for enthusiasts.

Krzyslaw, Papusan, pressing and 2 others like this.
  8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow that bloody sucks.

Maybe it's time to jump ship to amd? Throttlestop AMD edition maybe

9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is a dark day for mobile computing... pour one out. I cannot foresee sticking with Intel moving forward. Everything they do anymore is just absolutely anti-consumer. Kneecapping products that were working fine before "updates" is absolute garbage.

I noticed Windows has pushed some Intel updates recently that look like some kind of ManagementEngine and Dynamic Application Loader updates... I don't trust them, but I don't think we have much of a choice either sadly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    seanwee and unclewebb like this.
  10. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another good reason to let the Nvidia-Arm merger go through? If we drop x86 altogether, and never look back...

Maleko48 likes this.