The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe I've missed the answer to this, but under TS Bench the MHz option only has fixed, I was stoked to try the random clock feature but must be missing something. Thanks for your hard work.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The TS Bench - Random MHz feature uses Speed Shift Technology to rapidly change the CPU speed. If Speed Shift is not supported or if it is not enabled, the Random MHz feature will not be available.

custom90gt and Maleko48 like this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's what it was, even though I had the main screen check for speed shift, it didn't have the options selected in TPL.
    Thanks again!

4. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for blessing us with a exceptional program..My GE66 wouldn't be running close to this good without ThrottleStop..
    XTU just doesn't play nice with the 10750h.

Not putting your abilities down but it will always be funny that one man put together a program 1000x better and more stable then a multi million/billion dollar company could put out there..

intruder16, cfe, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I always like to dream about what ThrottleStop could have become with access to Intel's full documentation and an unlimited supply of hardware for testing purposes. I would have had more time for fancy graphs and all sorts of good stuff.

Thanks for the :vbthumbsup:

joluke, alfafox, dmanti and 6 others like this.
  6. bmolc

bmolc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @unclewebb . First of all thank you very much for this great app.

I already read someones post about setting P1-P2 limits per profile, and I remember, your answer was "maybe in the future"
    I think this will be a great addition to the app (if you can win the war with windows slider) because:

Here is my case:
    My laptop is thinkpad t490 - i5 8265u - iGPU

My main purpose is to increase battery life in battery plan, while keeping default factory battery plan clocks-performance, and increase performance on AC plan in 97C default heat limits.

With -0.125 core and cache, -0,100 graphics(is this too low? everyone is writing -0.50 etc. i can still see the 1.1ghz intel numbers in realbench test and no crash, may be i couldn't stress it enough) , it looks very stable, i am using more than 4-5 days without a crash.

I am mostly happy. I have 2 plans for AC.(just undervolt) One is for daily AC mode, the other one is for audio recording (only difference: C1E unchecked) Do you advice anything to gain more perf?
    I decided not to use TS speedshift because windows slider always win and I like the way it handles speedshift. On AC, win best perf. mode slider decrease it to "0" (better perf: 84) which is good.
    Also on battery, it moves between 178-127-84. I was also trying to keep it on 160-170 on battery and "0" on AC. So windows settings are perfect.

But on battery plan it is faster than I need :) (After undervolt) So I tried to tame it.

I did not want to decrease speedshift too much not to lose responsiveness (as i said windows settings are perfect)
    I did not want to disable turbo, it was too much. It also limited single core clocks. I didn't like it.
    "Also I didn't want to change TPL - turbo boost power limits because it affects all ac and dc plans" (this is the problem I wanted to tell you)

What i did is, I changed FIVR turbo ratio limits to 39-32-25-25 (from 39-38-37-37 default) This setting is perfect P2 limit for me. (if there is an second option available, i would set 4core 17 or 18 like P1 limit, if i do it now, cpu can't go up when needed for 28 seconds)
    In XTU, I could change the P1 limit to 7.5W. With 7.5W, undervolted cpu turns same clock speeds with the default factory settings, which is perfect for battery and performance.
    Windows slider moves P1 between 10-12-25 (p2 fixed 29) these limits are also OK, as i said I am very happy, but it will be perfect, if I could decrease the P1 to 7.5W only in this plan.
    (but i think, like the speedshift, windows again will win in P1 limits, i am not sure)

In the article below you can see that after undervolting, X1 performance increased significantly, but they needed limits to decrease power consumption and heat. (similar with my case) (when i do not need more performance on AC, I can limit it with windows slider)
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/More-...d-X1-Carbon-2018-ThinkPad-T480s.296752.0.html

In my case I am OK with the default 97C AC limit (it runs really fast now cinebench20 1310 > 1680)(yes it throttles from heat but it looks OK). And I am OK with the battery plan, but it can be better with a stable P1 limit per profile. (or second turbo ratio limit in FIVR)

Thanks again for this great app.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  7. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    even that is extreme

Oops, i made a mistake lol

you mean your good work ;)

my temps are also pretty good cause I have the rare AMD RX 540 model. but even with full GPU load (around 20 watts) I don't get any CPU throttling 14 inch dolphin emulator beast

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
  8. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

On 10th gen I found some bug?
    upload_2020-10-18_21-27-9.png

On previous intel 7, 8 th gen it was working without a problem.

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    You have ThrottleStop set to sample your CPU core temperatures once every second. A fully loaded CPU can change temperatures instantaneously. A mobile CPU can jump up or down 30°C or more during a one second interval.

I am not sure what stress test you were running. If a core is fully loaded, ThrottleStop might be slightly delayed when it tries to sample the CPU temperature.

The PROCHOT 99°C indicator gets throttling information from multiple temperature sensors within the CPU package. If it starts out gray and lights up in red during a test, some sensor somewhere triggered thermal throttling.

Have you changed the PROCHOT Offset value? If PROCHOT Offset is unlocked in the Options window, for a test, try setting it to 30 so your CPU thermal throttles at 70°C. Does that work? It should. If you changed the PROCHOT Offset temperature after it has lit up in red, then it might show PROCHOT 99°C in red even though the throttling actually happened at 70°C.

Next time you do some testing, do not change the PROCHOT Offset value and turn on the More Data option. This tells ThrottleStop to sample your temperature sensors more frequently. That might allow ThrottleStop to catch your peak temperature before the thermal throttling indicator lights up.

I had to use Google translate to figure out what power plan you are using. Google says, "Top Performance". Thanks for showing me that new TS feature.

4552 in Cinebench R20 is a significant improvement compared to 9th Gen. With performance like that, your CPU temperature is not that important.

10. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah sure, I will check PROCHOT at oposite direction. And with more data checked.
    Just swaped my memory from 3200cl22 to 3200cl16 so the score should bump a bit, and reapsted cpu with mastergel maker and used imon trick so that cpu reports less wats. I will repeat tests as soon as I could.
    What concerns me is that I aplied LM but it actualy made temps much worse, as for some reason the gap was to big. I will try again with LM but not know, maybe after new year.
    What I can tell is that this cpu does not UV only -5mV on cache max, as I used ac dc loadline calibration set to 1 it allready removes vid boost and at all 8 core at 4.3GHz at 100% load it uses max 1.15V so not bad.