The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. koopa

koopa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Your homeless idea is lovely, I'll give money to the next homeless man I see and say the same.

Well, based on your comments:

1) It sounds like on modern CPUs, there are 3 useful speeds (eg on my 7600u): 800Mhz (lowest useful speed, lowest power), 2900Mhz (highest non-turbo speed, battery 'sweet spot'), 3900Mhz (lower efficiency, maximum speed). Could you perhaps block any other speeds, and therefore come up with a voltage that is stable on all 3 of those? I could achieve 30mv lower if I could avoid 1400Mhz. Is it possible to 'block' one or multiple multipliers? Not sure how any of this interacts with HDC, which I'm presuming is why I see 0.6V for 2.9Ghz under light loading?

2) Yep, lots of programs have AVX/GPU testing, but your random Mhz setting is so useful for testing. Perhaps I could just run TS+rand at the same time as the other stress testing programs?

3) I've always been nervous to use XTU at the same time as your program, I'm assuming there's no safe way to run XTU, lock in GPU settings, close it, and then use TS? Are there any other features that lurk in XTU that you haven't been able to crack, I might ask my nerdier friends about it as a challenge.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - did you pull the latest version with the Prema graphic? I downloaded it again to my desktop and the Prema color scheme is there but no logo.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It is hiding. Rename or delete logo.png and restart TS.

Are you going to have access to your new 10 core friend for a while? Maybe by next weekend I will start adding full support to TS for these power hungry beasts.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sweet, I will do that in just a bit.
    Fantastic! Yes, it is my only "real" CPU for the foreseeable future. Whenever you're ready I am happy to test and report if there are any issues. But, honestly, I can't remember the last time you didn't get it right on the first try. :D

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Please check my reply on hwbot. Sorry for the OT.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I did and replied with more questions. Thanks, bro.

7. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry, can't find a list of supported CPUs or CPU families

Does it support the Pentium Gold 5405U?

Thanks

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Probably. Just try it and find out. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Nothing can go wrong, so get cracking. :D

Yes, that worked. Thank you.
    I can hardly wait. It already partially works. I have to use the "set multiplier" feature in ThrottleStop to force TurboBoost to work on Windows 7. Otherwise, the CPU runs at 3.7GHz no matter what the BIOS settings are. (That's only on Windows 7, it does not happen with Windows 10.) Not sure what the deal is, other than Intel and Micro$lop are intentionally sabotaging customers that prefer Windows 7 over the Windows 10 abortion. Screw 'em. I'll keep using it until I can no longer find ways to make it work. To hell with what they want, LOL.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Probably. Did you try running ThrottleStop to find out? I have never written a list of supported CPUs because Intel releases new CPUs faster than I can type. If your CPU was released sometime in the last 15 years, there is a good chance that ThrottleStop will support it correctly. Your CPU was just released last January so I am pretty sure that ThrottleStop will work 100% correctly. Post some pics of ThrottleStop. Post a picture of CPU-Z if ThrottleStop is not working correctly.

I recently saw a ThrottleStop 10900K screenshot and started thinking that properly supporting these should not be too big of a job. If I cannot figure things out, they just got some 10850K CPUs in locally at a reasonable price. My motivation is going up. :D

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thank you Unclewebb!

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.