The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No need to open HWMonitor. Open the FIVR window and leave it open. Now do a suspend resume cycle. The monitoring table at the top right corner of the FIVR window will confirm if your voltages are being set correctly after resuming. Thanks for confirming that this new feature is working.

Connected standby has been a part of Windows for over 7 years. My old laptop does not use connected standby so I had no idea that ThrottleStop was not working correctly after resuming from this mode.

Thanks to @maffle for the bug report.

maffle and tilleroftheearth like this.
  2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think the problem was on your end, I think it's Windows 10. For example I set task scheduler to start TS on any user login and no matter what I did, it always took me to login screen, even with no password set, after wake up from sleep, so that should have restarted TS also, but it didn't. No matter, it was minor inconvenience and it seems to be working fine now.

3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The problem was definitely on my end.

@maffle did some testing and taught me about connected standby. I learned that ThrottleStop needed a couple of lines of new code so that it can recognize when a laptop goes into and comes out of connected standby mode.
    That was the problem. Old versions of ThrottleStop had no idea when a user would resume from connected standby. New ThrottleStop tells Windows to notify ThrottleStop anytime a user enters or exits connected standby. Normal Windows sleep and resume messages have always been sent automatically. For new connected standby messages, ThrottleStop has to specifically ask Windows to send these messages to it. Problem solved.

The next problem is that the new connected standby code is not compatible with Windows 7 because connected standby did not exist in the Windows 7 era. There are still lots and lots of computers running Windows 7 so I had to write some more code to maintain backwards compatibility with Windows 7. That fix should be ready for testing tomorrow.

Edit - If you want to know if your laptop is set up to use connected standby, open a command window and enter this command. If your computer is using the S0 state, it is using connected standby.

powercfg /a

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  4. pete962

Reputations:
    Brand new computer with 10875 and only S3 available.
    S1, S2, S0 -system firmware does not support those standby states. ??????
    Could it be because I disabled hibernation?
    I always disable hibernation, hibernation is broken since at least Win xp it corrupts drives on dual boot systems.

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pete962 - Not all manufacturers enable Standby S0 (connected standby) on all of their devices. Some users have complained about excessive battery power consumption when their computers are supposedly idle. Connected standby is not for everyone. Some manufacturers probably leave it off deliberately.

Whether a laptop takes 5 seconds to resume from standby mode or less than 1 second to resume from connected standby mode, does that really make a difference? Microsoft wanted to create a phone like user experience. Only problem is that most users do not use their computers like they use their phones. If you use your phone 101 times a day, you want it to start up immediately. When I turn on my computer, it is usually on for hours at a time. Having my computer start up a couple of seconds quicker does not improve my user experience one bit.

6. pete962

Reputations:
    Actually come to think of it, you're absolutely right I, don't need anything else besides S3. And please don't get me started what I think about MS trying to replicate phone experience on the computer, the S0 standby, metro apps etc.

7. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Any interesting findings in latest intel leak for unlocking our cpus?

moral hazard likes this.
  8. NoWay0ut

NoWay0ut Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anybody had any luck with the i7 1065G7? I have a Razer Blade 13 (late 2019). I can only do a -50 on the cpu. Anything over that and the system is unstable, especially in games. I was able to test -100 CPU and -30 cache and run Cinebench, but any game would crash immediately. For the record I use an external eGPU for gaming. This CPU has the TB controller integrated so the undervolting so maybe that may play a role.

9. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yes, my laptop is nearly same as yours. The maximum undervolt of Cache is -40mV and Core is -54.7mV respectively.

10. Akern1

Akern1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i was wondering what "c state demotion/undemotion" and "pkg demotion/undemotion" are? should i tick/untick something or leave them alone?
    Immagine.png