The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I just did some testing and the only way I can get ThrottleStop to run in a Vista Standard account is to enable UAC.

If UAC is not enabled, I can not get ThrottleStop to start at all in a Standard account. This might be a safety feature that was added to Vista by one of the 1001 Windows patches or maybe my antivirus software is secretly protecting me from evil. When testing on Vista SP1, I end up getting this error message.

[​IMG]

Windows Vista has blocked the WinRing0 driver from starting. Without UAC, it doesn't even give me the opportunity to enter an Administrator account and password.

Edit: I did some further testing and found that if I had RealTemp running in the Administrator account which also uses WinRing0, I could go back into the Standard account and ThrottleStop would start up correctly without any errors or without having to have UAC enabled. Vista / WinRing0 incompatibility bugs? Time for some Windows 7 testing.

With UAC enabled, you need to use the Task Scheduler to get ThrottleStop to AutoStart. An example of this is shown in the second post of this thread. If you use this method, the system tray icon will be visible but you might have to use the Windows "Show All Icons" feature to find it.

You should be in your Standard Account when you create this task. There is no need to do the last two steps in post #2. The "Run with highest privileges" option doesn't seem to do anything anymore. You will need to go into your Administrator account and open up Task Scheduler there to turn this option on if you want to test this. Maybe that was fixed in SP2.

With this method, you still need to enter an Administrator password each time you log in or start ThrottleStop manually.

You don't have to tell me that this is a big pain in the azz or that this really sucks because I totally agree.

ThrottleStop should never be used in two different accounts at the same time because you could end up with two different instances of ThrottleStop trying to control the same CPU which would not be a good idea.

2. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much unclewebb for your fast reply and for spending time testing! Also, since you appear to be the author of ThrottleStop, thank you very much for all your work on it as well!

I should clarify that I'm using Vista 32-bit SP2 with UAC enabled. UAC prompts don't bother me because I use the Norton Labs UAC tool that allows recurring UAC prompts to be hidden. However, I don't want to have to type in the admin password every time ThrottleStop launches, that would be more hassle than a UAC prompt because it requires typing.

I did start with the guide in post 2, but it didn't work quite as described for me. I fiddled with the task scheduler for several hours, trying different options. I was not able to create a scheduled task unless running task scheduler as admin. I found that it was necessary to reboot to test different settings, because logging out and back in didn't always give the same result. In the end, I could not find a way to reliably and silently start ThrottleStop for multiple accounts, some of which are standard accounts.

I think the ideal way to solve this would be to split TS into 2 parts, where the guts of TS (the part that does the work and needs admin access) would run as a service, and the UI (tray icons) would run as a separate program which doesn't need admin access. That way we could install the service one time for all accounts, the tray icons would be optional and could be more easily launched from any account, and there wouldn't be a concern about accidentally launching multiple instances.

I have confirmed that TS can run as a service, even with the current version 4.1. For now that is my solution for getting it to work with multiple accounts. Here is the procedure for setting it up.

In general I followed this guide for using the SrvStart utility to run ThrottleStop as a service:
    Using SrvStart to Run Any Application as a Windows Service - How-To Geek

Here is my ini file. Note that shutdown_method is different from what they used, because the winmessage method does not work with TS.

[ThrottleStop]
    startup="C:\Program Files\ThrottleStop\ThrottleStop.exe"
    shutdown_method=command

Using this method, TS runs silently in the background. There are no tray icons, but it does its job of voltage and clock modulation. (You can see ThrottleStop in the Task Manager process list if you show processes from all users. You can verify that it is working by using a monitoring tool like CoreTemp.)

This method works for both admin and standard accounts. There are no prompts for UAC or admin password even on standard accounts, at least not on my Vista machine. And there should be no worries about multiple instances since the service is only started once even if there are multiple users logged in.

If you need to access the UI for any reason, you can go into services and stop the TS service, then just run TS as a normal program.

Thanks

--------------
    Edited to revise task scheduler info and add service info.

3. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Yes, I saw this too.

Congrats unclewebb! ThrottleStop is going primetime! (Hope it translates into some $$ for you for all your hard work on this software).

5. chumley

chumley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. freesta

freesta Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I just installed Throttlestop and it is working just fine, but I have a hardware related question. My Lenovo notebook (SL 510) throttles down to 12,5% clock modulation whenever I connect the power supply. This is most likely neither temperature nor load related. When I googled for similar problems I noticed that a lot of people have solved it by exchanging their power supply, or maybe upgrading it from 65W to 90W.
    Is it possible that setting the clock modulation to 12,5% is completely intended by the manufacturer and possibly used to prevent overstraining a weak power supply? Is it likely that I will damage my power supply by resetting the clock to 100% with ThrottleStop?

Best regards

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I have a Dell Latitude D830 and when switching from AC to battery power, it sets Clock Modulation to 75%. This lasts for approximately 10 seconds before it automatically returns Clock Modulation to 100%. This is done deliberately by Dell and I have to assume that it is a safety feature designed to protect the battery from sudden changes in power consumption.

How long does your laptop stay at 12.5% Clock Modulation? Without knowing exactly why manufacturers do what they do, no one in a forum can guarantee you the likely hood of anything. All I know is that a lot of people have been using ThrottleStop for the last few years and I can not remember any complaints about permanently damaged power supplies due to ThrottleStop. Some Dell owners, mostly extreme overclockers, have had their power supplies trip and have had to unplug and plug their power supply back in to reset them. A 65W power supply is in the barely adequate category. If you are worried, buy a 90W power supply or play it safe and don't use ThrottleStop.

chumley: Thanks for that update. I will add a link to the second post in this thread so other users can run ThrottleStop as a service if they need to. If you ever need to run 2 instances of ThrottleStop for monitoring purposes, you can trick it by renaming the .exe to ThrottleStop2.exe or whatever you want to call it. If you do this, ThrottleStop won't complain when you try to run multiple instances of it. It will create and use a different INI file but doing this might be useful for monitoring purposes.

I find it funny that throttling has been an issue on a wide variety of laptops for the last 3 years and FINALLY a mainstream media source thinks it is time to start mentioning this in their laptop reviews. I asked the senior editor at Tom's Hardware years ago to investigate this issue and they brushed it aside like it was unimportant. Thank-you AnandTech. What took so long? :)

Here's the thorough paper by Randall Cotton that motivated me to come up with a solution for this throttling stuff.

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

8. freesta

freesta Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply!
    I fully understand that nobody can guarantee me that a software like this will not damage anything.
    To answer your question: In the first few seconds after I connect the AC, the clock modulation stays at 100%, then it goes to 75%, then 50%, down to 12,5% and there it stays until you pull the plug again. I wasn't able to test if it also returns back to 100% when the battery is fully charged, yet.

And thanks for making this tool, I will keep using it for now because using the notebook at 12,5% clock modulation is really not an option ;)

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Clock Modulation at 12.5% would be brutal. There is obviously a problem so you might as well use ThrottleStop with Clock Modulation checked and set to 100%. At least your laptop will be usable.

10. hackness

hackness Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello unclewebb,

Thank you for your hard work, the 5.00 beta 3 has been working great so far. However, the beta version has just expired, is the 5.00 finally release scheduled for these days? :)