The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm using 9.0 on both laptops. Both do have dual graphics adapters, Nvidia and the one on the Intel chip. Disabling screen shutdown did not help. I will try forcing Nvidia adapter full time to see if that works.
    Edit
    Seems like disabling the Intel graphics fixed the problem. Could be their driver.

Thanks for your help - relative to the great benefit of TS, this is a minor issue.
    Joe

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Jdpurvis - I am curious if you ever had this problem while running TS 8.70? The new driver that I switched to for ThrottleStop 9.0 should not make any difference. One big difference is that TS 9.0 is compiled with Visual Studio 2019 whereas all of the previous versions were compiled with Visual Studio 2013. That should not make any difference either but it was a significant change so anything is possible.

This is the Intel GPU driver that I am using.

[​IMG]

@Ahed - I had a look at your first log file and I see a big problem. If you look in the log file under the CKMOD column, you will see this value drop from 100.0 to 0.0. CKMOD stands for clock modulation throttling. Very few manufacturers have been using this type of throttling in recent years. As soon as I saw that, my first thought was, this must be a Dell. I scrolled back a few pages and look at that, it is a Dell. An XPS 9550.

Dell used this throttling method on their laptops for many years. In ThrottleStop, try checking the Clock Modulation option on the main screen and make sure that is set to 100.0. If the title bar says ThrottleStop 9.0 - Monitoring, you will need to click on the Turn On button to take ThrottleStop out of monitoring mode so it can try to correct the clock modulation issue you are having. The title bar should say ThrottleStop 9.0.

This type of throttling can be applied to individual threads. Not sure if Dell is applying this to all threads of your CPU or just one thread. For a while they were only applying this throttling to some threads of the CPU so most monitoring software would not notice. ThrottleStop monitors every thread so you can watch the monitoring table. The Mod column should always be reporting 100.0 for every thread. You should never be seeing 0.0 in that column for any thread.

In your log file this first happens at 1:25:12. That lasts for about 5 minutes. At 1:30:05, it goes back to 100.0. At 1:32:02 it starts throttling again with clock modulation at 0.0. This time it lasts for over an hour. It does not stop throttling until 2:34:57. That was always the problem with this type of throttling that Dell was using. It would kick in for extended periods of time even when there was no reason for any type of throttling. Your temperatures and power consumption are both fine.

Hopefully ThrottleStop can help with this issue you are having. Post another log file after you have checked the Clock Modulation box.

Edit - I did not see any clock modulation throttling in your second log file. You were not using the Nvidia GPU during the majority of the second log file. It might be the Nvidia GPU or overall power consumption that is the trigger for this throttling. Are you using a Dell power adapter and is it the appropriate size for your laptop?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    t456 and Papusan like this.
  3. zilla0617

zilla0617 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I encountered the same glitch Jdpurvis explained on at least 2 different occasions where randomly if throttlestop is left open on the desktop, the boxes will clear all values and turn into empty white boxes. When I restart my pc all is fine. I never experienced it with any previous version of throttlestop. I suspect it's due to changing the font from default to Georgia.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Did you use add this line to the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file?

MainFont=Georgia

@Jdpurvis - Are you using the default font or are you using this new feature too?

I will do some testing to see if I can recreate this problem. Can you post a screenshot next time this happens. If you open up some of the other ThrottleStop windows, is there a problem there too?

5. zilla0617

zilla0617 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes I added the line in the same format. Next time the error occurs I will try to take a screenshot

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

6. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was using the default fonts - but I like the Georgia Font :) Will see if it happens in other windows.

7. CitizenInsomniac

CitizenInsomniac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Great job with 9.0! It's running really smoothly, no issues at all so far, and most importantly the RwDrv.sys BSOD problem is now a thing of the past.

A question/feature request for you:
    Have you considered making TPL settings part of profiles? It'd be useful to be able to set different PL1/PL2/PL3/PL4 limits depending on which profile is active.
    For example, my CPU supports cTDP down which allows me to throttle it to 35W and 2.0 GHz (from the regular 60W and 2.5 GHz non-turbo) - it'd be great if I could enable that every time my battery level dropped below a certain percentage.

8. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    The new version works well and I like that the UI now reports the max temperature and package power without clicking anything.

Are there any plans to add Haswell iGPU (HD4600) overclocking into ThrottleStop? That's the only feature Intel XTU has over ThrottleStop and the only reason I still keep it installed. I can provide register dumps if need be and I have found this document if it helps (search for "3Bh").

9. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    upload_2020-6-30_22-8-56.png

Oops.

It's probably a one off - I don't know what happened. I didn't run out of RAM - (16GB plus 4GB PF) so

Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Che0063 - It definitely appears that I screwed something up somewhere. Maybe the new version of Visual Studio is more strict and does not like some of my shady programming practices. I have started looking for what might be causing this bug but I have not yet experienced it on any of my computers. If I get something figured out, I will send you a version for testing purposes. It might be a while trying to track this down.

I have considered this but have never got around to adding this feature. My laptop has locked power limits so it has never been a high priority. The black screen issue above needs to be fixed first.

I had a look at this a long time ago but never got around to adding this feature. There have not been a lot of requests to overclock the Intel GPU. I think I know where the registers are located but something seems to be blocking overclocking my HD4600.

If you want to try and help, try running the Dufus Dump program. Dump the registers before you overclock and after you overclock the Intel GPU. There might be some lock on my iGPU that is holding me back from overclocking it.

Dump
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0dpSo9k93jDX1Fpa1FpTmo1Qk0/view?usp=sharing

tilleroftheearth and Papusan like this.